A Busy Couple Of Days

Hello Wednesday evening! You are just what I need! The Husband is out, the Kid is going to bed soon (and will be coming out of his room every blasted minute) and I am about to watch some TV and give myself a face mask. It has been a hectic few days and I very much need these next few evenings of rest and relaxation: mixed in with a little work on the side. On Monday afternoon I met my friend D.K. for an early dinner and drinks at Pickwicks. We had a couple of hours to kill before heading to the movie theater. Yes, I went to see Ghostbusters again... I might need an intervention. The film is so great. I love it so much that even yesterday I was looking up action figures from Amazon. I have never fangirled before but I am dangerously close to entering that territory. Had this film come out when I was a kid, I would have lost my ever loving mind and probably would have convinced myself that I was a natural-born scientist. I'm not. I am not good with stuff like that: chemistry, physics, biology, rational thinking and facts.. etc. I remember watching Back to the Future when I was a kid and the very next day, I created a miniature scene of the clock tower and the De Lorean. I was so proud and somehow believed I knew how electricity worked and made an 80s hunk time travel. I excitedly called my parents into my room to show them my CREATION and DISCOVERY and they just smiled and patted my head... probably thinking "Well, at least she is kind."

So, yes, I really did see Ghostbusters twice in theaters and I don't regret it. I DO NOT! When I got home from the film late on Monday night, I found the Kid wide awake, sitting on our bed. I told the Kid he had to go back to his bed and he ignored me. So I picked him up and he purposely played dead by going completely limp. I placed him on the ground and then dragged him by the feet to his room as he just limply laid there. Oh how fun parenting is! I hauled him into his bed and then walked out. 5 minutes later he was back in our bed. At one point I said "Ok, kiddo. We are going to go sleep on the sofas in the living room and you can have this whole bed to yourself." and assumed he would cry and immediately follow us. The Husband, half asleep croaked "Why do I have to get up?" and I responded with "You just do!"and so the Husband and I went into the living room to lie down on the sofas and waited... and waited.. and then I started to worry that maybe the bugger finally got what he really wanted - a Queen-sized bed all to himself. But a couple minutes later he came out and tried to crawl onto the sofa with me. I said "No" and my heart ached. He just sat down on the floor beside the sofa. He then got up and tried to snuggle with the Husband on the other sofa and we both felt like complete assholes. I finally said "Fiiiiiinnnee!! The next few nights you can sleep with us but as of the weekend, when I don't need to sleep, you are back in your own damn bed!" So, yes, we are screwed. He was doing so well sleeping but the summer has thrown him off. I think we will be buying a new bed for him this weekend and we hope for the best... Ugghhh. Moving on.

Yesterday after work I had a meeting with an expert. He knows all things about Vienna and I needed some more advice about setting up the center. He gave me some great information and advice and it was uplifting to know that it shouldn't be too difficult to get set up... on paper. When I talked about donors and companies giving me the monies, he mentioned a company that sells products that I just don't agree with (Crocs. I joke. Maybe I don't.) and I responded with "I don't know if morally I would be ok with them as sponsors". And he responded with a quote that I had never heard  before and it makes me snort: "Geld Stinkt Nicht" or "Money doesn't stink". What this infers is that money is money regardless what the source is. In a way, that is kind of true but again, there will be some places that I might think twice about accepting money from. Looking at you company that made those stupid butterfly electric pulse things that were supposed to give you rock hard abs but ended up sending little sparks of electricity instead and you swore it smelled like a bbq under your t-shirt after a 5 minute session of electroshock therapy. I like that I am already refusing imaginary money over other imaginary money. Over the weekend I have some research to do and then sometime next week, Verein applying time! OH MY GOD! HOW TERRIFYING! Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

After the meeting, I headed to the Beaver Brewing Company and met a friend. We decided to meet an hour before a going away party we were attending so that we could catch up. We had a great quick talk and then at 7, moved inside for the partay. It was great to see friends I hadn't seen for a while and I met someone I went to school with but I didn't remember going to school with him. I didn't feel bad because he didn't remember going to school with me either. I think I said something like "Yeah, I didn't have boobs back then so that explains it." Keep it classy, Tova. Turns out he works in the field of autism so that was pretty great. He had worked in another field before and said he missed it but realized he needed to make a change. I responded with "Oh, I totally know what you mean..when I used to be a Victoria's Secret Model..." and then he burst out laughing and I was like "Hey now..." I was able to catch up with some friends, meet two dogs that I am absolutely in love with now, drink some great beer and say good bye to a friend who is sadly leaving Vienna. Around 10:45 I caught a cab and thought my feet were going to detach from my body after 16 hours straight of wedged heel wearing. No bueno. Of course the Kid was in our bed, happily snoring, when I got home. A couple more nights, Kiddo and then...

Oh, and by the way, the Kid is off from Kindergarten this week. I had told the Husband to book next week off (back in May) but he accidentally told the Kindergarten that the Kid would be off this week. The law in Austria at public kindergartens is that kids need at least 4 weeks off a year... you know, to holiday on the Riviera or ski in the Alps. Imagine my surprise when I brought the Kid to kindergarten on Monday morning when I found out that he was not supposed to be at Kindergarten this week! His shoes were off, he was running around like an over-excited baby goat and then one provider approached me as I was heading out the door and was like "Yeah, he's not supposed to be here." and I was like "Nuh uh. Next week!" and she whipped out the clipboard and there in pen was the Husband's signature. Yup. Wrong week. I took a deep breath and said "Let me just make a quick phone call." The Husband was still at home and was able to take the morning off and watch the Kid and I headed to work... not happy. Of course I felt like the absentee Park Avenue mom that the daycare probably judges on a daily basis. "She didn't even know when her kid was signed off! What kind of mother is she?!?!" Ugh. Luckily the Mother in Law and the Nanny have been helping out so in fact, things have worked out. But next time I am in charge of signing the paper on the clipboard.

And one last note before I end this post. I received an e-mail the other day from Amnesty International. For some strange reason I am on their mailing list and that's cool and all. But I must learn how to read better because I received an e-mail and I thought the title of it read "A fresh treat" and I stared at that for a good minute trying to figure out what the Hell this e-mail was going to be about! Did Amnesty International start a donut shop? A fresh treat? Human trafficking cookies with sprinkles?! Prison torture brownies?! What?!? And then I read it one more time and realized it said "A fresh THREAT." Oooohhhhh. That makes more sense. Back in college I joined the Amnesty International club thinking I would do some good. I showed up at the first meeting and bunch of people wearing a lot of patchouli and cable knit sat around a table. The "leader" of the group introduced herself and we went around the table and introduced ourselves. I might have been a little too bubbly because a lot of these very pale vegetarians gave me the stink eye when I announced that I had lived in Russia "but I didn't see any human right violations because I was busy dancing on the bars and getting free beers because I was a diplobrat ahahahaha!" After we went around the table, the leader said "I hope you all realized that this group is not involved with any first-hand work in the field. We are stronger doing petitions and demonstrations here in Toronto. If you thought we would be jumping out of helicopters in developing countries and saving people, you are in the wrong place." I stood up and apologized and exited. I'm not proud. I was 18 and ready to jump (gingerly step out of) out of helicopters and get interviewed by Amanpour while wearing a helmet, looking adorable. Maybe I should make a donation... Anyway, I hope you all have a fabulous Wednesday! Toodles!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge