The Story of the Cake and Being Sick

Ugh. Dammit! Sick again! At least today I am starting to feel a little better. I was sick a couple of weeks ago but a day of sleep seemed to clear it up. On Monday the Kid had a fever and a cough and I stayed home with him in the morning. Monday afternoon I went to work and stayed until about 9:45 and I will write about that in a little bit. Tuesday morning I woke up and felt awful - that fish bowl head feeling but I got dressed and put on some make up and headed to work. If I am sick, I generally won't go to work because it isn't fair to infect colleagues but it was the end of a mega-conference and I would have spent the day feeling incredibly guilty.

One friend was like "Hey shitface, if you get me sick, I will hunt you down and kill you." so, yeah, there is a lot of love and support where I work. Heh. Towards the end of the day, I noticed my neck had swollen and that's when I knew it was time to call it a day and succumb to whatever plague the Kid infected me with. It's a bad cold and I saw my doctor who signed me off for a couple of days. I was able to sleep off and on most of the day. The Husband took the morning off because I was a weepy mess and in the afternoon the Nanny came and I barricaded the doors and put in ear plugs. I know how lucky I am to be able to get the time to rest. In the evening, the Husband was back home and the Kid was in a good mood. He had napped during the day so he was like "Hey everybody! Where's the partay?!?!"

Anyway. The Husband yelled at me this morning because the Kid slept in and I didn't. "WHY ARE YOU NOT IN BED!?!" and I responded with "I AM ON THE SOFA COVERED IN BLANKETS IT'S THE SAME THING!" to which he responded with "BUT YOU ARE ON THE INTERNET AND NOT RESTING!" and I yelled "JOE GIUDICE IS GOING TO PRISON AND I NEED TO READ ABOUT IT!" and he had no idea what I was talking about and he just sighed... loudly and deeply. By the way, Joe Giudice is the husband of Teresa Giudice who was on the Real Housewives of New Jersey and she just served like a year for fraud and embezzlement and now he is going to prison for the same crime for 4 years and the first season of the Real Housewives of New Jersey was one of the most epic times in reality television and Teresa brought us the infamous scene where she flipped a table and screamed "Prostitution Whore!" which is pretty much the best line EVER. Cough. Sorry. Anyway.

So, the Kid is still a little sick but he is getting better. Yesterday morning he even brought me a blanket and the day before that, when I was crying (I usually don't cry in front of him), he looked at me with concern. It was interesting because usually he just ignores me if I am emotional. I remember a couple of years ago, I was in the bedroom crying over something and he walked in and looked at me, shook his head and declared "NEIN NEIN NEIN!" and walked out and slammed the door. But to see concern in his eyes the other day was touching. Another autism myth debunked. He does have empathy. Booyah!

So I hope to be back on my feet in a day or two and then it is Easter weekend which means we will celebrate like my forefathers and order Chinese. No, we have some plans and I have to be careful not to add "Eat all the Easter eggs" into those plans. Speaking of which, I am pretty stoked that I made it through the worst of this cold without eating most of the foods in the house. It is great to have a buddy to text every morning to keep me accountable and I am happy that I didn't throw the (edible) towel in. Small healthy changes make a huge difference and I am able to continue to use #smug in Instagram posts so it is all worth it. Today I will spend the majority of the day on the sofa and in bed and hopefully tomorrow morning I will wake up feeling better and ready to try yoga again. It's been a few days and my namaste's are waning. I am going to namaste the crap out of my next session.. if I don't lose a lung in the interim. But before I sign off, I need to quickly talk about THE CAKE.

Now, back on Monday was a friend's birthday. Poor her also had to work this shiteous conference and since she is smart and stuff, she had to probably work harder than me. A few of us decided to put in some money and get her a gütschein to the Ritz Carlton for high tea and a basket of bath salts, face masks and another friend made a sugar scrub. We told Office Twin that he was in charge of the cake. This is where we went wrong. On Sunday I texted him in the afternoon "Have we baked a cake today?" to which he replied "Not yet." and I took a few deep breaths. What angers me, controls me. On Monday he texted that he would frost it at work and when I came into work in the afternoon, we headed to the kitchen to work on it. He spread too much caramel on the first layer and then placed the second layer of cake on top which caused the caramel to start to spill out over the sides. He then started to frost this monstrosity with chocolate frosting and well, it was not good. Not looking good at all.

He carefully carried it to another friend's office and I cackled uncontrollably. We hid it behind some bags until the big reveal later in the day. At one point, as I worked with a friend, she looked up and said "I think the top is about to slide off!" and we quickly found a figurine and lodged it into the side to help keep it steady. And oh how we laughed. And then Instagrammed it.

We kept working and then heard a thump as the plastic figurine was rejected violently from the monster cake. So we brought in reinforcements.

Finally it was time to bring the cake. When the birthday girl saw the cake, I think a little piece of her died and I quickly yelled out "OFFICE TWIN MADE IT!" and then she gave him a hug and I was like "What the hell?!?" He totally got a pity hug. Not FAIR! Cake was had and despite the fact that it looked like it should be condemned, it was delicious. When the conference ended, we drank wine in mugs and chatted for a little bit and I truly hope she had a decent birthday in the end. And Office Twin is totally in charge of making more cakes because the material to make fun of him just expanded. This makes me happy. Well, the Husband is giving me the stink eye so I guess I need to turn off the Internet and head back to bed. The Kid is still sick so I guess it will be just the two of us this morning until the Nanny comes. I am ok with that. Happy.. wait, what day is it? Oh, Thursday. Happy Thursday everybody!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge