My (Half) Day Off, Cocktails and Judging People

Oh man, I am bummed. I have been looking forward to this day off for a while. It's rare to ever have the apartment to myself and I specifically booked this Friday off so that from 8 to 1, I could sit on the sofa and watch crap TV and then do some interpretive dancing to the opening credits of Murder She Wrote. But nope, not happening today. The Kid still has a cough so he is staying home today which means he is staying with me which means no Jazz Hands when Jessica Fletcher pulls her manuscript out of the typewriter.

Of course the Kid is fine and is suffering cabin fever so I have to constantly yell at him to stop climbing into the washing machine. I love spending time with the Kid and I was happy that on Wednesday I could spend time with him as he stood on our bed and threw up... but Mommy really needed some alone time in the apartment today. #honestmomadmission.. and now #momguilt. The Husband went to work this morning but realized that I was a little down. "I JUST WANTED ONE DAMN MORNING ALONE! IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?!?! GAH!" He is perceptive that way. He promised he would be back at 12:30 so that my friend and I could meet for lunch. We are going for vegan fare because she is awesome that way.

After lunch (which will take a few hours because we have mucho mucho to catch up on), I will head to my favourite Asian shop and then the vegan store. I am attempting Vegan Pho with baked tofu tonight and I cannot wait! Look at me all healthy. #smug.

Speaking of healthy, I had alcohol drinks last night (is there any other kind?). I was supposed to go to David Sedaris but like an idiot, I lost my ticket. I rarely rarely lose anything (the Kid once, but that was like for 3 minutes. What?) and I was so upset with myself and so incredibly down. Luckily I was able to meet a friend at my new favourite cocktail bar; Kleinod. My friend N.W. took me there a few weeks ago and I fell in love. I arrived yesterday just before 5 and every seat was reserved. The server was super sweet and said that there was a table free until 8 so I settled down, ordered something called La Vie en Rose and read my book about Sociopaths. Light reading. At one point, a friend texted me that she overheard some young beautiful women talking about picking up guys and being texted by multiple men and how fabulous and great for them blah blah blah. (Sarcasm because I am in my 30s and fat). So I wrote her back and typed "Just pick up your phone and pretend to make a call. Tell Jeeves to get the Chateau ready for the weekend." I have done this before. I am not proud. Ugh. At 5:30, my friend showed up and we tried to cover everything in the 2 hours that we had. At one point, a guy came and sat beside us at a table. He was wearing a short sleeved pink plaid shirt, a choker surfer necklace (I know) and jeans. He heard us speaking English so he said "I will be your neighbour for the evening." and I kind of laughed (stupid, Tova). I noticed he had a drink in a copper mug so I said "Enjoy your Moscow Mule." he then said "Not a Moscow Mule. This drink has rum. I found out about this drink when I was in Cancun... last week." Whomp. Whomp. Luckily his two buddies didn't like the seats he had found because it was too cramped so he bid us adieu sadly and my friend and I continued talking. Never ever engage a man with a choker surfer necklace. EVER. (I'm going to Hell for being so judgy)

At one point we noticed the table to our right was getting a little loud. Three cute women and one guy (not really anything special - and I am not saying that to be an ass. There's a point to this) were beside us. The guy started to speak and it was like he was some Austrian God-like comedian based on how these woman fake laughed every 30 seconds.

I swear he was saying stuff like "I walked into a store and saw some pasta on sale." BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! "And then my car got a paint job." BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Sweet mother of... was he rich? Because his monologue wasn't anything to laugh about. I firmly believe that a man can be incredibly attractive if he has a sense of humour, is kind and smart. But dis guy? No idea what was happening there. Oh well. I am going to Hell for being so judgy. After drinks, I headed to Swing Kitchen for some dinner on my own. I am ok with eating on my own. Sure, I would love company but there is something peaceful about sitting with my book and getting vegan tartar sauce down the front of my dress. After my meal, I headed home and the Husband and I watched Burn Notice. And that now brings me to this morning of not being alone. I was a little bitter but then when I gave the Kid breakfast, he looked up at one point and gave me the biggest smile so heart melted and all that. I am going to treasure this morning. As soon as I figure out how to lock the damn bathroom door. I also think a wisdom tooth might be coming in and that is making me a little panicky. I am just going to ignore it until Monday when I will call up the Husband in tears and say "It huuuuurtts." because I did the exact same thing 10 years ago. And I also decided to drink chili beer and that was an idiotic idea. Anyway, have a fabulous Friday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge