A Couple of Wild Days and a Radio Interview

Hello Saturday! Apologies for not writing sooner. I have been busy being equal parts responsible mother/employee and being fabulous. Heh. It has been a crazy week of unexpected nights out, yoga at home and a session of finance coaching. I was supposed to go to the Mosaique concert on Tuesday but I ended up not getting a ticket in time and I am starting to think I might just have some problems with events that require... tickets (re: David Sedaris reading the other week). Tuesday I had a fun fun night meeting up with different friends and Wednesday, the Husband was out so once the Kid was in bed, it was me-time.

I did some yoga, took a bath and watched one of my favourite movies: Woman on Top. This film is responsible for making me want to learn how to cook back in da day. It was panned by critics when it came out 16 years ago but I definitely adore this film. And I even have the soundtrack. When I cook, I need accompanying music; Maria Callas for Italian dishes, Woman on Top for spicy dishes, and Britney Spears for when I have had too much to drink and I am trying to toast a bagel.

On Thursday we had a meeting with the Kid's therapist and it was a really nice talk. She noted how far he has come and she share in the belief that the Kid will talk at some point. I am very confident that he is just incredibly stubborn and has figured out that he just needs to grab us by the hand and lead us to what he wants. The therapist suggested we try and make him talk instead of following his cues but she suggested we do that when we are calm (liquored up?) and have a few days off from work. This can only end well.

Thursday after work, I met the Husband for a quick drink and then met a friend at my new favourite over loud restaurant; Miznon. It's WILD! You place your order at the bar, pay and then sit down. And over the blaring music, wait for your name to be called. Boy, is it a fun experience to hear "TOVA TOVA TOVA TOVA TOVA!!!" being screamed by attractive men. And when you get up to get your food, they look at you and yell "TOVA?!?" Feels like home. After our AMAHZING food, we headed to Alt Wien for some drinks. Now, I have never been to Alt Wien which is kind of like someone saying "I have never heard a Taylor Swift song." I know, I'm ashamed. It is a Viennese epic establishment and PACKED! We grabbed a couple of seats and ordered drinks. At one point I excused myself and headed to the washroom. I walked in and had to stop and wonder if I had accidentally walked into the wrong place. The bathrooms are FANCY! It was like some Chronicles of Narnia moment where you walk in, expecting a decrepid bathroom and instead spy marble and beautiful stone sinks. It confused me.. and pleased me.

After some drinks, I headed home and slept very very well. Friday morning, I headed to work and in the afternoon, I had to jump into a cab and go to my second session of finance coaching. For 90 minutes we worked on a Business Model Canvas and identified key partners, customer relationships and distribution channels and the fact that I want to buy some new shoes. It was a great meeting save for the fact when I made some joke about sleeping with people to raise money. Sigh. Almost an adult, Tova. So close. I have a couple more sessions and then I will be ready to start asking for money. TERRIFYING! After the meeting, I headed home, snuggled with the Kid and then headed out again because I am crazy. A friend was hosting a book presentation for her firm. It was at Thalia at Landstrasse and I sat in the back. The book being presented is called Shaking Salad and I am kind of obsessed with this book. It is beautifully styled and the author, Karin Stöttinger, is an example of an awesome personal success story. A couple of years ago, after being inspired by a beach restaurant in Spain serving salads in jars, decided to try it out for herself. Her co-workers loved her idea and slowly but surely she built up a client base. She sent out her book idea to several publishing firms and they all loved it but in the end she went with the company that truly makes the prettiest books in Austria: Brandstätter Verlag. The book has been so incredibly successful and I have a copy and I think it is pretty amazing. It actually makes me want to have vegetables which means this book has voodoo magic. Go buy a copy. Go!

At the presentation, there were samples of her dressings (so so good) and then after, we all headed over to Cafe Engländer which is another one of my favourite Viennese places. It is known as a bit of a journalist hang out and since I was the Eurovision correspondent for Vienna Würstelstand last year, I am totally among peers. Heh. We drank Aperol spritzers and then a friend and I headed back to Alt Wien because once I like a place, I kind of want to go there all the time. We had a couple of spritzers and then it was time to grab a cab and head home. As soon as I stepped into the taxi, Falco's Vienna Calling came on the radio and I felt so incredibly happy. Still have a lot of love for you, Vienna!

So now it is Saturday morning and something super exciting is about to happen in a couple of hours. Imma going to be interviewed for a radio show about autism. The reporter (and friend) is coming by to tape me, and the Kid will provide background ambience. I am so excited that I get to do this and with a face like mine, I am perfect for the radio! I can't wait and hope that I don't start talking like a Valley Girl "So like, like, autism is bad and stuff. And like, we need more governmental like help and you know." After the interview, I will spend the afternoon at home with the Kid and then at night, I am heading to a friend's for some margaritas. Andale!

I wish you all a fantastic weekend and stay tuned. Over and out.

Comments

  1. Oh I loved this post! I miss Vienna so much - and I got all sentimental as I, too, loved Woman on Top and it was in Hietzing on a sweltering summer's night that I first watched it! If I were still living in Wien I would make it my mission to be friends with you; mostly so I could feel like I was a pretty cool person. (Yeah, that's how lazy I am- I rate my coolness based on how fabulous and fun friends' lives are, never my own. Because I'm mostly on the sofa eating sweetcorn out of tins.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Thanks so much for your message! And if you like my blog, then we could totally be friends ;) Extra bonus for loving Woman on Top! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge