Veganism Day 11, Cafe Hawelka and a Crazy Weekend Ahead

I think this is one of the longest times I have stuck to being a vegan. Usually by day 5 I have thrown myself into a wheel of brie and made my way out of it with lots of bacon and then called it a day. But for some reason, I have been able to stick it out and I am pretty darn happy about that. While being a vegan is something I never ever ever ever ever thought I would try, and I apologize to all vegans I have made fun of in the past, I have to say that I am feeling pretty darn good. My skin is a lot better, I have lost some weight and my stomach issues have subsided so #win.

I am hoping to keep this up until at least the Vienna Ball of Sciences. By the way, tickets are on sale right now so make sure to get them soon because they are selling fast! I am really excited to go to a different winter ball this year. I have gone to the IAEA ball at least 6 times and here comes an obnoxious first world complaint: The Hofburg Palace is just too darn big and it hurts my feetses. The Vienna Ball of Sciences will be held at the Rathaus which is whimsical and neo-Gothic and I am going to be a PRINCESS. Well, not a princess but at least I can pretend for an evening. Most likely I will lose a shoe at one point so I will be kind of like Cinderella.

This afternoon I will be heading to the overpriced fabric store to buy my ball gown material. I hope I can find the same type of fabric I have used in the past in emerald green. Since I only have 2 weekends before the ball, I will have to get on it and Project Runway the crap out of it.

This weekend is now unexpectedly busy. After my fabric buying, I will head home and hang out with the Kid. Around 7 I will head to Swing Kitchen for my fast vegan dinner and then head to Cafe Korb for a Women of Vienna event. My friend B.B. will be meeting me there and then we will head out for drinks after to catch up. Saturday morning I have a spinning class (if I can handle it) and then we have a therapy session with the Kid in the afternoon. Later in the evening I need to check out a bar as a possible location for the Communist Party Kevovastan Party. Afterwards, I am heading to a game cafe because I am working on an article for Vienna Wuerstelstand. Sunday morning we are having our very first Autism in Vienna play group at Jump Around which I am looking forward to. The rest of Sunday will involve sewing and cleaning and trying to take secret naps without the Kid karate kicking me in the spleen.

And as a side story, I wanted to quickly write about yesterday's stop at Cafe Hawelka. I love this place and I have only recently started going which is a shame considering I have been here a total of 15 years. I love old school Viennese places. I feel like coming home when I get served my melange on a silver tray with a glass of water. Oh who am I kidding... when I get served red wine on a silver tray with a glass of water. There is an awesome routine to these old coffee houses so be prepared. The servers can be surly but are usually pretty efficient. The newspapers are always attached to large wooden reed like things and since I am small, they are incredibly awkward to maneuver and invariably I end up nailing myself in the gut with it..cough. And you can sit there for hours and nobody is going to kick you out. Cafe Hawelka is especially awesome due to the fact that the decor has not been changed, the furniture is original and the waiters wear bowties. This isn't a fancy place but it sure is historical. When I showed up yesterday, the place was packed as always. I stood awkwardly at the door until I saw two men start to stand up and put on their coats. I approached their table and asked "Ist es frei?" (Is this free?) and one man responded with "Es wird Frei.. Nur fuer Sie." (It will be free.. only for you). Not sure if he was flirting or correcting my grammar. Meh. I will take it. I sat down and waited for my friend L.P. who showed up soon after I had ordered my wine. We chatted and then the grandson of the owner came by to take her order. This guy is cute and friendly and seems genuinely proud of the establishment. When my friend finished her vegetable struedel he asked her if it was good and when she said yes, he asked if he could send her compliments to the kitchen. SQUEAL! OLD SCHOOL AUSTRIAN MOMENT! Love.it.
We asked him a couple of questions about Hawelka and I asked him if they had ever written a book to which he responded "yes! A couple!" and then he grabbed us a copy of a book his father had written a few years back. It was pretty fascinating and I love love love that Grace Kelly had visited the cafe... Andy Warhol, too. The grandson also told us about post-war in the cafe and some neat anecdotes. One of them was that the cafe was one of the first buildings to get gas again in the area after the war so people came to warm up and that made it an incredibly popular place. After some wine, it was time for me to head home and hang out with the Kid. He was in a decent mood which was good considering in the morning he had vomitus allotus allover his bed. He had a day at home but he seems to back to his old self. I checked on him this morning and he was still asleep, surrounded by a mass of books and toys. While this is adorable, this also is very interesting to me. One aspect of autism in young children is that they often don't often "play" but lately he seems to be interacting with his toys again which is very very exciting. So yaay!

Oh,. and before I forget, I have also been forced to make a redaction to my former post. The Office Twin is not a Marxist and is not an elitist. He is not a whiney bitch. But he did infer that I was fat so I will not redact that. Whatcha going to do about it, Office Twin? Bring it!

I wish you all a fabulous Friday!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge