Mosaique and Sewing and Stuff

Today seemed like the LONGEST day EVER. I don't know why but it seemed to drag. Is everybody incredibly sober due to resolutions? My word it felt like a ghost town on the Interwebs. I am finally back home, the Kid is in bed and I am in my polka dot pyjamas and finally warming up. If you live in Vienna, you might have noticed the hurricane-like weather outside. So not good for my hair.

Yesterday I had a very very interesting night out. After work I went to Hillinger in the Wien Mitte Mall to meet my friend C.W. for some wine. As I walked through the mall, I heard my name and saw an old friend N.W. We met years back at the company I used to work for and I am glad that we have stayed in touch. And by in touch I mean I got loaded with her and another former colleague a couple of months ago at an Italian restaurant. We chatted briefly and then I made my way to the wine bar because wine. I ordered a glass of rose because Tuesdays are rose days and that is a fact. Check it. Or don't. C.W. showed up shortly after and we chatted for about an hour. Her husband and a friend arrived and we made our way to the U4 ubahn line. We had tickets for Mosaique and I was excited to go again especially because this concert was a fundraiser for refugees and this whole crisis breaks my cold, dark heart.

The 4 of us got onto the Ubahn and grabbed some seats. At one point we looked up and saw the famous Beer guy. Beer guy is kind of an institution in Vienna. He rides the U4 and approaches women and asks them if they want to join him for a beer. If you say no, he will move onto the next woman immediately. He is harmless and I have to wonder if he has ever had any luck. As soon as we noticed Beer guy, a man sitting beside us on the Ubahn piped up and said "Are you from a America?" Two of us nodded and the two Canadians did the whole "Weeelll..." and before we could continue, the man said "That's the famous Vienna Beer guy!!". He said it with such sincerity and almost with pride that it was like he was pointing out an important Vienna landmark. We chatted with him for a little bit and he was charming. Wait a second... maybe Beer guy got a wing man!?!?

We said goodbye to our new tour guide friend and walked to Fünfhaus which is a really funky location. It is an old brick factory and the concert venue is an event venue too and I am so going to see about renting it for a fundraiser sometime this year. Included in the ticket prices was food so after picking up our drinks, we picked up some appetizers and geared up for the show. And what a show it was! The musicians are all incredibly talented and there was a mix of opera, modern classic and Syrian traditional songs. It was incredibly touching and I must say that whenever I hear a bazouk (I had to look this word up, I would have said North African/Middle Eastern guitar instrumenty thingy), I immediately think of my trips to Tunisia, Egypt and Morocco and of the food, the hospitality and the incredible architecture. I was impressed by all of the acts and very much touched by Salah Ammo's story. You can find his website here. After the amazing concert, we hurried downstairs for the main course. The food was great and was catered by the not-for-profit organization Topfreisen which works with asylum seekers. Their website can be found here . I love that Mosaique put this event together. As I have mentioned on this blog before (search for Mosaique on this blog for more details), they do awesome concerts every month with different themes so I suggest y'all look them up on Facebook and go to their next show. It was a really lovely night out. And oh yes, before I forget, I cannot miss an opportunity to make fun of my friend G.G. At one point I noticed a couple of guys checking her out. One was really giving her the "look" and then suddenly he made his way over. I held my breath as he approached her. Yeah, she was leaning her head against one of his paintings and he asked her not to. I howled because I am an asshole. Sorry G.G.

So yes, it was a wonderful night out! As I posted on Instagram and on Facebook this past weekend, I am starting to sew again. I am a terrible sewer. I don't have the patience or the ability to measure so I just cross my fingers and hope for the best. On Sunday I used a sewing pattern for the very first time. I am making a 1960s style shift dress and I couldn't find my fabric scissors so I used the kitchen scissors and I ignored the instructions so I am making a very pretty and uneven potato sack. I didn't finish the dress so of course I have now decided to make another ball dress. Now calm yourselves. I am not making a complicated dress. I am actually copying the exact ball dress I have worn for the past 3 balls. It is pretty much just two pieces of fabric sewed together and the fabric I will use is incredibly forgiving. It's like that kid in school who pretty put up with any and all type of bullying with a shrug and then went home and wrote everybody's name down who ever crossed him and now spends his adult years dating models and being rich. Cough. That was a tangent. Anyway. It is a simple dress and thanks to everybody answering my poll, I am going to go with an emerald green dress. I figure it will match my glasses of champagne perfectly.

In other news, Office Twin and I are currently planning our joint birthday party. I have never really had a joint birthday party so this should be interesting. The title of the party is the Communist Party of the Kevovastan Party. Kevovastan is our country that we made up a while ago. Communist Party was put in the title because Office Twin likes to think of himself as a Marxist or something very left and yet he just signed up to a fancy gym for their pool and sauna and look who is acting like an elitist now! I am looking at a location this Saturday and hopefully then we can book it and then start planning our birthday cake. Office Twin is also responsible for creating Kevovastan's flag but today we took an "Are you a narcissist quiz?" and I fear we both are so he might just say "screw it, I'm going to the gym". Office Twin is currently on my shit list because the other day we were talking about stalking and how good I am at it and then I added "You know, I had a stalker back in high school." and Office Twin was like "What?! You? Really?" Yes, jerkface, I was stalkable. And then the next day I showed him a picture of me from high school and I said "This was when I was thin." and he murmured "Hmmm." in agreement. YOU ARE DEAD TO ME! Well, maybe after we discuss cake and party decorations. I am super excited to have a birthday party again! Last year was a bit of a sucky bday because the Kid had been in the hospital for a week earlier in the month and I was still reeling. So this year, party on Wayne!

I hope you all have a fabulous Wednesday night. Tomorrow I am meeting my friend L.P. at Cafe Hawelka for a quick drink around 4. Love THAT PLACE. Has absolutely nothing to do with the attractive grandson of the owner. NONE WHATSOEVER. And on Friday I have to buy some material for my ball dress. After putting the Kid to bed, I will be heading to a women's event in the first and then going for drinks with my friend B.B. So that means I probably should take off my 6 inches of make up and get ready for bed. Nighty night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge