A Veddy Veddy Viennese Friday, A Lazy Saturday and A Nice Sunday

Happy Sunday night everybody! The Kid is in bed, my sleepy time tea has brewed and the bra is off for the night. Good times.

It was a pretty great weekend! I didn't do anything too embarrassing and I even got some stuff done so win, win. I just wrote wine, wine and now I am sad because I want wine but I won't have wine. Trying to cut back and all that. Blergh. So without further ado, take a seat and here is what happened this past weekend, yo.

Friday afternoon I left work in a stupidly thin coat. I wore a stupidly thin coat because I planned to go fabric shopping after work and if I wear a thick coat when I go shopping I end up getting all overheated and grumpy and I start being surly while I fan myself with my oversized wallet and blow up my bangs in exaggerated frustration and then if I get just too darn hot, I end up leaving without buying anything and that just makes me grumpier. So anyway, I made my way to the Ubahn and when I stepped on the platform, I noticed the train was there but the lights were out and people were starting to exit. My friend who had left work with me, called me and found me on the platform and told me that a woman had told her the trains were not running in either direction. Gah! I walked to the taxi stand and saw a large group of people having the same thought and I realized that I would not have much luck hailing a cab and I bet cab drivers all over the city were thinking "Who's the bitch now, suckas?!"

I decided to be smart and I walked around the Ubahn station and tried to hail a cab but again, no luck. After 30 minutes of walking and freezing and feeling like an extra in Dr. Zhivago, I noticed a public bus pull up and I jumped on, not caring where it was going.

Luckily it ended up taking me to an Ubahn stop where I was able to finally to go home. Usually it takes me 30 minutes to get home and on Friday it took me 90 minutes. I was not amused. And I was cold. So very cold. After a couple of hours with the Kid, I got changed and put on my face spackle and headed out into the cold again. I originally planned to attend one event, but plans changed and I ended up meeting my friend B.B. at Kleines Cafe where she was having a meeting about the Vienna Ball of Sciences with another friend, O.L. I have never been inside Kleines Cafe and well, it was klein.. and kind of awesome. I guess it is a bit of a Vienna institution and it was definitely packed. I had some wine and chatted and it was a perfect little location for a cold winter night. O.L. had to leave (and he is currently dead to me because he is going to the Opernball and I have wanted to go since I was 12 and yes I know I am spoiled because I am going to a ball in two weeks and I cannot wait) so B.B. and I headed to Cafe Hawelka because.. well, you know why! We entered the cafe and ordered some spritzers, looked around for you know who and saw that he was not there and we decided to head to yet another Vienna institution: Anzengruber. I have written about this place before and my love for it. I also discovered a painting that I want. OH I WANT IT SOOO BADLY. In the back room, there are three immense paintings hanging high above. The one on the left is the one that I want and I should have taken a picture of it. I have no idea if it is good art because while I studied some art history, I am no critic.


After some more drinks and great conversation, it was time to head home and crawl into bed and read a good book. Unfortunately I do not have a good book to read so I am looking for some recommendations. Thanks. The next morning the Kid woke me up by jumping on me which always gives me a heart attack. I got out of bed, made some coffee and tried to stay awake. I had planned to go spinning but because of the Ubahn situation the afternoon before, I had to go fabric shopping instead. The funny thing about Vienna is that there are so few fabric stores here. There is a decent one in the 10th district that I visit once in a while. And I have heard there is a great one in Klosterneuburg but I have no car. I totally should go to Klosterneuburg again some time... it has been years. Total tangent. Sorry. Anyway, I headed to one of Vienna's famous fabric stores; Komolka. Most of the times I have been there, the people there have not been very friendly. My friend S.R. told me she is always met with amazing service so I decided she was a liar face. I showed up at 10 and went straight to the green fabric. I was looking for the stretchy Jacquard I have used in the past and of course, there was no stretchy Jacquard. I nervously approached two women in store smocks and interrupted their conversation. One woman turned and listened to my query and then smiled and took me to the green section again. She looked and could not find the stretchy green Jacquard. She pulled out some bolts of fabric and I said "No." "No." "No." She then pulled out some green and black lace and I was smitten. I asked "Is that easy to sew?" and she said "Yes" and I said "I am not a good sewer so...is it easy to sew?" and she said "Yes". I asked for three meters and she measured it out for me. She then asked me if I was a teacher. And I said "No." and she gave me an intense look and I was confused. She then said "Are you an artist?" and I said "No?" and I was confused. She gave me a deep look and I thought maybe she was having some digestive issues. She then said "I am going to ask you again, are you a teacher?" and I said "No." and you could see she wanted to facepalm. Turns out that she was trying to get me a discount and I am a complete idiot. Oh well... But, S.R. is not a liar face, they were absolutely lovely yesterday!



I brought my fabric home and held it up proudly and the Husband said "It's see through!" and I said "I know!" and the plan is to make a sheath like dress and then wear a small black dress underneath. We will see how this works out. The rest of the afternoon was spent playing with the Kid and trying to measure the fabric while the Kid ran across it every 30 seconds like a Banshee. At 6:30 I had to go to Wohlleben to check it out as a possible location for the upcoming joint birthday party with Office Twin. And the place is perfect and I cannot wait! Originally I was supposed to go to Sperlhof Cafe after Wohlleben but plans changed so I headed home and took a hot hot bath with a Lush bath bomb called "Shoot for the Stars" that ended up making me look like I ran face first into a bag of glitter. And it was awesome. Sunday morning I woke up nice and early and put on several layers of workout clothes and headed out into the still dark morning. I had a walking date with my friend D.K. I made my way to our normal meeting spot and at 7:35, I guessed she might still be asleep. I sent off a text "Are you awake?" to which she responded two minutes later with "SHIT! There in 4 minushueheou!" Yeah, she had been asleep. Heh. We took a long long walk to the center and it was a great way to start a Sunday morning... besides the fact that we were FREEZING after the 2 hour walk.

I jumped into the shower when I got home, had some breakfast and then we got the Kid ready to head to the Autism in Vienna play date at Jump Around. We arrived just after 11 and it was pretty busy with kids hopped up on birthday cake. The Kid yelled at me in his own language to take off his damn shoes already and went running for the indoor slide. Around 11:30, another mom and her kid showed up. I had met her at the workshop and she is lovely and so is her son and it was great to chat briefly. By 12:45, the Kid was ready to head out after spending a good 40 minutes in the ball pit. Although we had only one other parent show up, I am happy. I will continue to have monthly play dates until the center is set up and I hope that next month, more parents come because a community is important!

After the play date, I decided to get started on my ball dress. I recently bought a new machine at Tchibo for 50 euros. It said that it was appropriate for 8 year old humans so I figured I would be safe. Yeah, no. I had to change the thread and I decided to take out a piece of the machine that I should not have touched and then I spent 45 minutes trying to put the piece back in and when I finally did manage to get it back in, the machine did not run properly and I started swearing. Oh did I swear! Out of frustration, I pulled out my old machine that is much more complicated and which I have not used in almost two years because complicated. Somehow I was able to fix it and it worked and yaaay I started making the dress. I was able to get the basic shape done today and next weekend I will apply the finishing touches. Now I just need to figure out what to wear underneath it. I wish you all a fantastic Sunday night still. It will be another busy week; cafe review, Blues bar and a birthday party. I also have a very exciting meeting on Tuesday afternoon which eventually I will tell you all about but until then.. patience.

Nighty night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge