2015 Rückblick and 2016 Ahead

Since my laptop wasn't working when I was in New York, I didn't get to do my traditional breakdown of the year. And I love to do that because I get to remember all the cool stuff I experienced. 2015 was definitely a crazy year. There were definitely some emotional disasters and there were definitely some incredible and surreal moments. I think 2015 turned out to be a pretty amazing year in the end and I would like to think that 2016 will definitely be AMAZING to the max! And why am I writing like a teenager from Saved By the Bell?!?!

So today's post is going to be about last year and about the upcoming year. Let's start with a breakdown of all the highlights: bad and good.

In January last year, the Kid had a seizure. It was absolutely horrific and we spent a week in the hospital. You can read about it here. I think the best part was finding out it was caused by the flu and not some hidden neurological problem. RELIEF!

In February my birthday was pretty low key but Office Twin and I got to have an awesome office birthday and his sister made an amazing rainbow unicorn cake for us so that was definitely a highlight! We also had a birthday party for the Kid on February 15th. I was a wreck for that party because we had to go back to the hospital on the 18th for a night and an MRI. I was a teary and terrible mess for most of February.

In March I actually decided to sign up for a 5K because a friend asked me while I was 5 spritzers in and knows I am much more pliable then. I started training and when I say training, I started walking a little bit faster while switching to a better sports bra. And yes, the Eye of the Tiger was my theme song. Yasss.

In April I rediscovered spray tanning, continued running (jogging) and went to an awesome Not Going Away Party. I also went on a romantical trip to Salzburg with the Husband, lost my collective shit while watching Madame Butterfly (deep deep sobs), and found out I was going to be covering the Eurovision Song Contest in May.

May was INSANE! I saw a friend perform Figaro in Barber of Seville, got great highlights, got another spray tan, ran my very first 5K and of course did 2 weeks of Eurovision Songcontest coverage. That was truly one of my most surreal weeks of my life; press party in the Belvedere, red carpet pictures (link here), being in the press hall, meeting fabulous people... it was EVERYTHING!!

Of course June was pretty amazing as well. I went to the Concordia Ball for the first time which you can cringe read about here and wonder about my life choices. Of course there was the autism fundraiser which raised 1500 euros because my friends are all so generous and fabulous. It was such an amazing event and I am planning on having another one in a few months. This time a gala because why not? Stay tuned!!! I also attended a party at a sekt bar where I met a new friend, had great summer nights out, went to an art show, visited a publishing firm (to pick up books. I wasn't published this year. Always the bridesmaid), went to the Volksoper and of course went to a couple of events for my Not My Class AIS reunion which turned out to be SO MUCH FUN!

July was a little bit quieter. A little. We went to Burgenland for a bbq, a family weekend to Kritzendorf, I had an epic night out with girlfriends, I was mentioned in the New York Post (SQUEAL!), I did a photo shoot (my awkwardness recorded here) and went to ROME which was quite spectacular. I wrote at least 3 posts on Rome because ROME.

We were still in Rome for the first couple of days of August. There were a few fun nights out in Vienna and I tried Spinning for the first time and loved it. I also ended up going to Barcelona to see one of my oldest friends. That was a lovely and relaxing weekend away and I got to go to the beach which was the perfect way to end the summer.

September meant back to the same old grind. And of course, rage that the autism center we are members of were lacking in communication and support. We were promised a year ago (and more) that we would get an aide to stay with the Kid at the kindergarten and that never transpired. The donation of 1500 euros was barely acknowledged and it turned out that they had parent nights and never told us. I turned my rage into good and started the Autism in Vienna Facebook page. And now, well now I am on my way to starting my own damn center because special needs support cannot only help the affluent. I also attended an awesome birthday party and got spritzer soaked and danced and danced. And I did another 5K - the Night Run and I made terrible time. But I lived. And of course, I got ready for Fall because Fall is EVERYTHING!

October, being one of my favourite months, meant bringing out the Halloween decorations (stored at our friends' place around the corner). I also had High Tea at the Ritz Carlton for the first time. And I went to a fun housewarming party, a book launch (read about that mess of an evening here ), a musical event, the Tempest. It was an absolutely wild month and of course we had our largest Halloween party ever and it was a blast!

November did not disappoint either. The Kid actually played with other classmates and I ugly cried in happiness. I also got super sick for a week so that sucked. I was able to attend the Austrian First Lady's book launch and convinced myself that the President totally winked at me. I also ordered the largest Christmas tree ever. AMAZING! I also helped out with The House of Canada at Feschmarkt. That was a crazy event and exhausting but it was great to get so much positive feedback about the products!

December was all about the Christmas prep. and the Hanukkah prep as well. I also went to a press conference, tried out Miznon and met up with old classmates. I enjoyed recapping Lifetime films and decorating the apartment. I also had an awesome Ladies Champagne party. And well, then I went to New York. So yeah, December was pretty nuts.


And so yes, 2015 was pretty epic and there were so many other awesome events that I could have mentioend. The Kid has definitely mellowed out and even though he isn't speaking, he seems to be a lot more aware. I want to continue my weekend walks with him and try to maybe take a short family trip. He surprises us over and over again and I am just so damn proud of him. Things are definitely better on the home front and I have decided that I need to schedule in more date nights and quiet nights... while adding to my workload. Challenge accepted. I can survive on 5 hour nights of sleep, right? So here are the upcoming plans for 2016:

Vegan diet. For the past year I have tried veganism and I have been pretty surprised at how I have felt after a few days of no meat and dairy. I am not a hemp wearing hippie. No. But I feel that cheese is my abusive lover. I won't completely give up cheese and meat but for the most part, I want to focus on more veg., less sugar and well, maybe less alcohol but that is a big MAYBE. I can't change overnight, kids.

Autism in Vienna. We have our first playdate coming up on the 17th as well as a workshop at the end of January. I have to finish my business plan and apply for funding as well as find a location to have said autism center. It is going to be a ton of work but I believe that it will happen and it will be amazing! Funny sidenote: when I was in New York I was talking to someone about the autism center and one guy with a New Yawk accent was like "You could make alotta money from that type of thing. Youse could charge like 100,000 a year per family. There is a school here that charges that. Badda bing." And I was like "Thanks Tony Soprano, but I am not looking to exploit people." I want the center to make money, of course. Because I do need to cover my living expenses. But this isn't going to make me rich. I prefer to earn a lot of money the old fashioned way... marry richer. I joke, I joke. So yes, 2016 is going to be a lot of work and a lot of excitement and I might have to learn math. Oh, and I am going to be hosting a gala at some point so get out your tuxes and ball gowns!

Vienna Ball of Sciences. Woot! Coming up January 30th at the Rathaus! I am really really looking forward to this ball. 10 euros that I will be the dumbest person at the ball. I am pretty sure I will start a sentence with "Scientist, eh? Atoms are pretty." I have a really pretty red dress I want to fit into so I have about 3.5 weeks to lose weight and look into liposuction. Wish me luck!

Exercise. I actually like to exercise. Spinning is my new favourite thing ever and I am hoping that I can get in at least 1-2 classes a week. I also want to do Bikram again because that is an awesome way for me to sweat without my lungs wanting to burst from my rib cage. This Saturday I am hitting a spin class and on Sunday I will go to Bikram. Hopefully this will become a routine. If you are looking for an awesome spin class, check out Radikal Spin. It is awesome!!

For 2016 I wish for good health, for the Kid to start speaking, for success and luck. I want to do the best I can do and to continue my mini crusade for autism awareness. I want to be a good friend, a good mom and a good wife. I want a decent waistline and highlights again. I hope you are all having a fabulous start to the New Year! HAPPY 2016!!!

Comments

  1. Here's to a fabulous 2016, crazy girl. I love you and am so damn proud of your successes. And I love hearing all about your wild adventures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge