My Trip to New York and New York Magic Moments

Well, I am back in Vienna! Hard to believe that just about a week ago I was boarding a plane to New York. This trip was a spontaneous one and one that I felt I needed to take. Was it life changing? Maybe. It was definitely perspective changing! I have always dreamed of going to New York as an adult and I finally did it and for that I am glad. I am, however, a little stressed about all the work I now have to catch up on.

I am not going to break down every single moment of my trip because that is kind of like inviting people over to watch slides from your awesome trip. Nobody really needs to see that the Captain ate mahi mahi with you at dinner 15 times at different angles. #nofilter #sunburn. Rather, I am just going to write about the main things I did and a couple of magic moments. Come this way.

I arrived in New York on a Tuesday afternoon and could hardly stop myself from elbowing the elderly passengers to get to passport control. I was ridiculously relieved to see that Canadians get to line up with the Americans which meant that I would get through faster and then wait for my luggage... for another 30 minutes. But yay, faster than most people! I ended up not ordering a car service once I saw that it would cost more than double what a taxi would. So I put on my very big girl panties and took a cab. It was a grey day but that didn't stop me from looking out the window in excitement as we drove through the New York burroughs. When we finally made it to the tunnel, I looked out and saw the New York skyline and I cried. I really cried. It was everything I had seen on TV and more. Magic New York Moment #1. Of course the taxi driver brought me to the wrong hotel and as the bellman opened the door I yelled (nicely) "NOT MY HOTEL! NOT MY HOTEL!" The taxi driver didn't seem to believe me so I yelled (very nicely) at the bellman "Where's the Chelsea Hilton Garden Inn?!?" he explained the address to the taxi driver and 10 minutes later I was checking in. For some reason I wasn't able to pay online so I had clicked the little box that I would pay at the hotel (this is important later). My room was small but had a bazillion channels and a Keurig so good times!

I watched a couple of episodes of Friends and Seinfeld (NEW YORK! SURREAL!) and then wrote down the directions to Marta (restaurant) to meet an old school friend. Walking through the city for the first time at night was pretty exhilarating. It is loud and fast and everybody knew I was a foreigner because I actually waited for the lights to change. I met L.G. at 7:00 and we were seated immediately. It was so great to see her after 16 years. We went to the Anglo American School of Moscow back in da day so he have total Moscow street cred... and by street cred I mean, we knew where to go clubbing where wouldn't be murdered. As we sat down, the waiter brought over the menus and L.G. asked about the rose wine. The guy was like "I'll just get you the som!"and we were like "Som? Like sommelier?" Gosh, New York and your abbreviations! We ordered food and wine and talked and it was all so awesome! After dinner we walked down Park avenue and I spied the sign "Gansevoort" above a hotel door and I may or may not have said something like "Hey! I think this is where the Kardashians stayed!" and L.G. responded with "There's a rooftop bar! Want to go?" I don't think I even responded... I think I just sprinted to the door. At the top of the hotel is a darkly lit bar and we ordered each a glass of wine. I did not look at the menu beforehand. I probably should have because it would have prepared me for the screams from my bank account. At one point L.G. suggested we look at the terrace and BOOM! EMPIRE STATE BUILDING! That was a pretty amazing moment. Magic New York Moment #2.

The next morning I pulled myself out of bed and decided to take a walk and take in the sights. After about 40 minutes of walking I decided to get myself some breakfast. I stopped at a place that looked like an upscale diner where I ended up being ignored for a good 10 minutes. In Vienna, this wouldn't bother me but in New York, I was annoyed. I was about to stand up and walk out but then a waitress came over and I was too hungry to care about principals and I ordered my eggs over easy with bacon and toast and a cup of coffee and bliss. After the overpriced breakfast, I took in some more sights and then headed back to the hotel for some more Seinfeld watching and coffee. I was meeting some friends in the West Village for dinner at 5:30 and so by 4:30 I was dressed and ready to walk South. It took only about 35 minutes and it was amazing how much the architecture changed in that short walk. I left behind the condos and the skyscrapers and ended up among brownstones. My friend K.P. had made a reservation at Cafe Cluny and when I walked in, I said there was a reservation and the hostess informed me that K.P. had just gone to the bathroom and that I would have to wait at the bar until the rest of my party showed up. Say what now?

In Vienna, you just grab yourself a table. None of this waiting around for your party to show up. I am always early and I like to sit and read a little and order a glass of wine but no, I need to stand awkwardly at the already filled up bar and schwitz in my coat. Not a fan of this policy, my friends! Luckily my friend H.B. showed up and then M.D. shortly thereafter and since we had been told that K.P. was in the bathroom, we were shown to our table. Now, after about 10 minutes, we realized that K.P. was in fact not in the bathroom but had been confused for M.D. so we were only 3 at a table of 4 and the hostess came over and actually asked us about the missing person in an accusing tone and I AM NOT A FAN OF THIS POLICY! K.P. showed up a few minutes later and after I dry heaved over the prices of wine, we ordered. I had an awesome burger with cheese and bacon (this is why I am fat) and to finish it up, peanut butter ice cream. I WAS SMITTEN WITH THIS ICE CREAM! AMAZING! After getting the bill (Why GOD WHY?!?!) K.P. took us on a little tour of West Village and I almost lost my collective fit when she took us to Carrie Bradshaw's apartment steps. I wanted to look cool and stuff so I took a quick crappy picture. Magic New York Moment #3.

We walked down the beautiful streets and stared into windows from the sidewalks. K.P. pointed out that Anna Wintour lived in one of the houses with a red door so I found the house with the reddest door and claimed that it was her house and that is my truth and I will believe that forever. Magic New York Moment #4. After our little tour, K.P. drove me to the East Village because I had another date with my friend B.B. (the one who told me I should come to New York with her for New Years and I laughed and I laughed) and her friends. I walked into what can only be described as a dive bar. I totally blended with my fake fur and Furla purse. I grabbed a seat at the bar and ordered a beer. I almost kissed the bartender when he said 4 dollars. FINALLY! An ok price for alcohol. A little while later B.B. showed up with her host, her friend from New York and her two Austrian friends. We drank and talked and I was grateful for hand sanitizer. Around 12 somebody suggested a bar in Soho called Franellis so we hailed a couple of cabs and made our way to the next stop. I drank gin and tonics and at one point started talking to a 25 year old who told me he sells high end furniture to which I responded with "So, like, Ikea right?" A couple of hours later the jetlag hit me and I decided to head back to the hotel for a good night's sleep. Hailing a cab in the middle of the night in New York: Magic New York Moment #5.

The next day was New Years Eve day and I was EXHAUSTED! I decided to take a little walk around the neighbourhood, did a little vintage shopping and then get some pizza and have a chill day in my hotel room. I watched Law and Order and an infomercial on some great new foundation, napped and ate and then at 4, I put on make up, drank a lot of coffee and then headed out to get a cab. I was invited by B.B. to join a New Year's Eve party at her host's apartment. This apartment was in Queens so I was a little worried a taxi would not take me there. I even PM'd my friend M.D. to ask if a taxi would in fact take me to Queens. She assured me that yes, a taxi would take me to Queens. I hailed a cab at 5:30 and stepped inside and said "Queens..blah blah boulevard." and the driver sighed and then turned up the Wagner opera blasting from his radio. Nice. A snobby taxi driver. I showed up just in time (after getting into a yelling match with the driver. I do not know Queens, sir. I showed you the address multiple times. I do not know where the place is. Please stop yelling at me. God, I am so much more confident when I can speak English.). The apartment is actually quite spectacular with an amazing view of the New York skyline. This is not the Queens I knew from Coming to America.

The furniture was all mid century originals so of course I was a nervous wreck about destroying it. At one point I was sitting on a leather chair and I reached over to grab my pen and thanks to my sequined skirt, I slid full speed - off like a rocket and into a pile of embarrassment. I wasn't even tipsy... oh the humiliation! The party was definitely interesting and I spent the rest of the evening with my arms crossed and only sitting on fabric lest I destroy anything. At 2 I had hit my tired limit and took a taxi with three of B.B.'s friends. I almost lost my mind when we crossed into Manhattan over the Queensboro bridge. Totally like from Home Alone 2. Magic New York Moment #5. I slept in until 11 the next day and decided to have a sloth-like me day. This involved vegging out and eating crap and just napping. It was a day that I had needed all this year and I am glad I got to do it in a $180/night room.. in New York. Cough. Not a Magic New York Moment. Hello 2016!

The next morning I was up bright and early and ready to get my walk on. I decided to take a walk up to Central Park and the Upper East Side. It was packed with a bazillion tourists and I stopped at Times Square for a second before I broke out in hives. I saw the New York Library, Rockefeller Center, the Empire State Building, Central Park, a few townhouses on the Upper East Side and of course Bryant Park. It was amazing to finally see all of these landmarks in person, finally. Magic New York Moments #7-12. I stopped for a bathroom break at the hotel and then walked down to the East Village to meet an old friend from Moscow and College. We actually met up a couple of years ago when she was in Vienna briefly so it was funny to see her in New York. She suggested a Moroccan cafe for brunch and I showed up, as always, early. I walked into the impossibly crowded restaurant and asked for a table of two. "Are you both here?" the hostess asked. "No." I answered. "Well, I can't seat you until your whole party is present." MOTHERFU..... DAMMIT!! I DON'T LIKE THIS POLICY! So I sat outside and read my book and then right on time, my friend MGD showed up and we entered the restaurant and got a seat. The food arrived in record time and I feel like we stayed for less than 20 minutes. After brunch we walked around a little and ended up in a bar. This is why we are friends. We had a couple of drinks and then I got a cab because my feet were dead. I spent the afternoon chillaxing and then put on my heels and more black and met B.B. and her two girlfriends at the Gansevoort because view. We each had one drink because prices. Then we went around the corner to Churchill which is a lovely little British pub. We had some drinks and chatted and laughed and it was the perfect last night in New York for a 30 something year old heading back to Vienna the next day.

In the morning I packed and fretted because my credit card had not been working a couple of days before. Every day I had been taking out cash just in case and as I checked out, I held my breath until I was told that my card was working just fine and then I realized I had a little bit too much American coin in my wallet. Kerblast! I left my suitcase at the hotel and walked to Grand Central and it took my breath away. Magic New York Moment #11. I met B.B. and her friends K and L and she took us to a place called Urban Space for lunch and eu mah gawd. It is a large hall with about a dozen food kiosks. I almost lost my mind at the choices! I started with mac and cheese. Then had some chicken dumplings and then had to break a rib for more space to fit in a bagel with cheddar cheese. At the end we tried 4 different donut types and now I have the diabetes. I groaned as I got up from the table and then we took a walk down Park Avenue to try and digest. I said my good byes and headed to my hotel to pick up my suitcase and hail my last cab in New York. The trip was fast to JFK and there was no one in line because I was there 3 hours before my flight would depart. I went through security and walked by a Michael Kors shop when my wallet started whispering "Come on man, youse got a lot of money in your purse. Speeeend it... speeeeend it." So I bought myself a gorgeous wallet and key chain and that was decadent. My flight left on time and I actually got some sleep after watching 6 episodes of VEEP. Love that SHOW! We landed in grey Vienna and I was desperate to get off the plane and head home to hug the Kid. As I stood in the aisle, ready to bolt, a woman said "Ma'am? You have gum on your pants." and yup, I had gum on my pants. DAMMIT! I tied a sweater around my waist and tried to look cool and stuff but it was too late. I had gum on my pants. GUM! After a quick walk through passport control, I picked up my luggage and headed out into the frigid air. A quick taxi ride and I was home, hugging the Husband and the Kid. It was a whirlwind trip and everything I imagined. It made me realize how much I love my life in Vienna and to be grateful for wine prices in Viennese restaurants. I missed my friends and family and I missed the quiet of our apartment. But I will miss the excitement of New York and the possibilities and the shopping. This trip was necessary for my mental health and now I feel like I can tackle 2016 head on. I have a little more confidence and little more attitude and a vintage dress that doesn't quite fit me yet. But I am ready for the new year and for all of the challenges ahead. New York, you were awesome! See you again in the next couple of years because I will be back (with a pre-paid hotel room)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge