Cleaning House and Changing My Look

A lot of people make New Year's Resolutions. Nobody really keeps a resolution. But I do like to think that the start of the year is a great time to set up goals. Last year I really wanted to get rid of crap but I was so busy that the crap stayed and some of my sanity left. So this January I am definitely going to try and cull the herd of crap.

I am aiming to get rid of a ton of my clothes. I will sell some and the rest I will donate to charity. This ties in nicely with my new plan to overhaul my look. I am bored with my "look". It hasn't changed in years and I can only describe it as middle aged socialite. While this was the look I strove for for years, I realized I am not middle aged yet and I have plenty of time to look like Bunny, Charlotte's mother in law from SATC, when I retire.

No, I need a new look and I was inspired while watching a film on the plane. Quick sidenote about what I watched on the plane. I watched a lot of crap. First up, I watched a film called Mistress America which was so utterly boring and terrible and artsy but not really artsy and ugh. I then moved on to Tammy which I could not finish because it was NOT FUNNY and I usually love Melissa McCarthy and blech. Awful. And then I watched the new film (based on the old series) The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and I was S.M.I.T.T.E.N.

This brings me back to my new look. I love fashion from the 60's. Always have. I spent most of my teens watching classic movies starring Audrey Hepburn, Doris Day, Jane Fonda, Romy Schneider, and so on and so forth. I love Breakfast at Tiffany's, Funny Face, Funny Girl, Paris When It Sizzles. So when I watched The Man From U.N.C.L.E. I about lost my mind.

The film is actually a fun action film and the fashions are AMAZING! Even though I never have loved 60's decor, the clothing is a whole different matter. So this is a long and drawn out way to say that I am updating my look by going back in time. I want to embrace the 60's and I am going to start making my own dresses. I even bought a vintage (easy) sewing pattern to make some basic dresses. I figure if I can make a few of these over the next few weeks, I will be ready to make the switch from Upper East Side 2005 to Upper East Side 1962. I also found an awesome 60's vintage dress in New York that I cannot wait to lose enough weight to fit into. So that's kind of a resolution too, I guess. I am excited for the change and I am hoping I can make some time to actually learn how to sew properly. Here are some looks that I am hoping to recreate in different colours and fabrics.



Stay tuned for pictures of the dresses and for when I start selling my clothes. This is a big step for me since my clothes are EVERYTHING. But sometimes a change needs to be made. And this one is materialistic so I will be totally comfortable with this in the end. I hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge