Kind of an Unexpectedly Great Weekend

The past week has been very emotional and very difficult. I haven't talked about it here because while I share pretty much everything... there are some things I keep to myself because this ain't the Dr. Phil show and some things are better left private... Unless I am talking about something embarrassing that I have done and then I TELL EVERYBODY!!!

After this rough week, I decided to take it easy and sadly had to cancel a night out on Saturday. I rarely rarely do this but I just was not up to socializing which is, I said in this sentence a second ago, rare. I also know that madness is ahead so it was good to take it easy this weekend because technically next weekend I will be helping man a stall at Feschmarkt selling The House of Canada stuff and if I know me, which I do, I will lose my voice by Saturday afternoon. As much as an extrovert I may seem to be, I have an absolute terror of drawing attention to myself in a crowd... Which is strange considering how much I love praise. But I will never forget that moment during our renewal of vows, in front of 80 plus people, I literally wished the ground would open up and swallow me and I was kicking myself for putting myself in that situation. I love a great party because I love to see all my friends but when all eyes are on me, blergh, vomit, shaking hands. Which is a long way to say that while usually I hate drawing attention to myself, when it comes to selling stuff, ALL HANDS ON DECK THE TOVA SHOW IS ABOUT TO START AND PULL UP A CHAIR! I will be yelling and guffawing and I will SELL SELL SELL! Because something switches in me and I am on!

So that is why this weekend was not a crazy one. But, there was still a whole lot of awesome that happened this weekend. On Friday afternoon I met a lovely lady to talk about Autism in Vienna for the ball magazine and then I spent Friday night writing and chilling. Saturday morning the Kid woke me up at around 5 and we spent the morning playing "Get off the damn dining room table!!" for a few hours. At 9:20 I headed out to spinning and it was, like always, amazing. A friend I have only met a couple of times previously pm'd me the day before that she would like to join and I was super happy! I think Radikal Spin is such an awesome place and the positive energy is incredible so the more people that attend, the better! The one thing that makes me nervous when friends say they will join me is the fear that they will end up hating me. It is intense, the class, not me, I swear a lot during it, so I am always worried that a friend that joins will at one point just step off the bike, look at me, and then smack me upside the head for being a sadist. But still hasn't happened, guys! Yeah!


After spinning, I ran home and took a shower and then I met a friend for a quick spontaneous drink, ran a couple of errands and then tried to prep the Kid for his first session with a new therapist. This therapist just moved from the States in the spring and she contacted me as soon as I created the Autism in Vienna Facebook page. We met with her last week and then yesterday we had our first session. And eu mah gawd was it AMAZING! I mean, INCREDIBLE! Within a minute, the Kid and I were actually playing a game. It involved me blowing up a balloon, holding it and saying "Ready, steady...go!" and then letting it fly in the air. Then the Kid had to retrieve it and ask for "More" with a hand gesture. Within 2 tries, he had caught on and actually yelled "MORE!" a couple of times and he was so excited and I almost broke down and cried; a) because we were actually playing a game and b) because I had almost lost consciousness from blowing up that balloon so many times. It was an amazing session and I am looking forward to more MORE! Of course I tried it again today and the Kid did play with me but he didn't have the same enthusiasm as yesterday but that is ok. He was showing off yesterday and now I know that when I want him to behave, I need to invite a young brunette over.


The therapist that came over yesterday will also be doing the workshop for Autism in Vienna on December 6th at Cocoquadrat. It will be an awesome workshop so e-mail me if you are interested in attending! I cannot wait! After the great therapy session, I made the Kid dinner and gave him a bath and then threw him into bed. I should have done some work but I decided that I wanted to veg and I ended up watching I Give it a Year. It is a British romantic comedy and while there were some LOL moments, it wasn't great. I definitely love British comedies but this one fell flat when there was so much potential! Minnie Driver had a small role but she stole the show. And while I probably won't watch it again, it was definitely a great way to pass a quiet night.

The next morning the Kid woke me up at 5 again and I briefly considered Googling that Vulcan sleep grasp thing and why do I even know that?!? And can I just mention that awesome Patrick Stewart gif above? It is everything!! Just before noon I headed to this co-working space around the corner and booked a seminar room and then spent most of the afternoon catching the Kid in mid-flight. I don't know what he was hopped up on but I had to catch him as he tried to launch himself off a kitchen table chair onto the table.. please note that the kitchen chair was on the other side of the kitchen. He has absolutely no fear of anything and while I should be proud of his chutzpah, I am also a little terrified of his lack of fear in general. Thank God kids at this age are practically made of rubber. I ended up having to take the Kid on two walks just to get the obvious drug abuse out of his system. I jest.. he isn't on drugs but my word, was he wired. I felt like that any minute, he would have cut me for a hit.

In the afternoon, I took a shower and put on my make up because it was time for me to meet a "fan". A lovely woman wrote me a few months ago when my friend Mackenzie Dawson from the New York Post had written an article about motherhood and the obstacles there are in Austria. She kindly mentioned my blog and this woman dropped me a line and since then, we have chatted over messenger a few times. She mentioned she was in Vienna and would like to meet up and I was like "YES!". We met at Palmenhaus and it was a really really lovely evening. I love meeting new people and I especially love meeting people who likemy blog because I have an inflated sense of smug about my writing. It was a really great time and I hope that we stay in touch... because again, she obviously has fantastic taste. Heh. Thank you C. for a great dinner!

And now I am home, in my Disney pj's about to go to bed. But before I do, I just wanted to post a picture of one of the bracelets a friend who lives on the West Coast of Canada sent me. Amazing, right?!?! It was such an awesome surprise and they would be great for an upcoming fundraiser that I will soon start planning for next spring. Gah! So much to do!

I wish you all a wonderful Sunday night! This next week will be madness but it will be good for me. Nighty night!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge