Food Inspired by Films - French Kiss

Bonjour! Welcome to the second attempt at the challenge regarding food inspired by films. The other week I made a dinner in honour of Under the Tuscan Sun and it was a hit. For me. It was a hit for me. I hope you just read the last couple of sentences in a French accent because, bien sur. Tu parles le Francais, non? I don't either, I really don't. I should. But I don't.

Anyway, as you might know, I want to go into my pea-sized brain and think of my favourite films from the past and make a meal based on some of them. I will, of course, re-watch the film and realize "ZOMG! I am so old! Why does Kevin Kline look younger than my husband in this film? WHY GOD WHY?" cough. Anyway, let's get started.
Why must you age, Jean? Why?
Back in the 90's, while living in Vienna, my father asked me if I wanted to join him for an event that Air Canada was hosting with the French Embassy. I answered "Mais oui, papa!" or, most likely being a sullen angsty teen I responded with "Yeah, whatever, sure". Off we went to the cinema for it wasn't any normal type of event where diplomats chortled over hardship postings (And then I said; Pass the bucket of caviar, Miguel, I'm famished, ho, ho, ho) but rather a screening of French Kiss. It was dubbed into German but it didn't matter. The minute the music started I was hooked. Meg Ryan in France was to be my spirit animal and Kevin Kline as a Frenchman was going to be my future husband.. or lovah.
What do you mean you are out of brie?!?
Since that first time of watching it, I have probably seen it at least a dozen times. I even owned the soundtrack and spent hours dreaming of Paris, Cannes and cheese. I recently watched it again for this challenge and I am happy to declare that it has aged well like a fine boxed wine. I'm terrible at metaphors so let me just clarify by saying "the film still be good, yo".

I've been to France a few times. The first time was to Paris when I was 12 with my mother. We were heading to our posting in Vienna and were able to spend 24 hours in the city of love. I was smitten. We walked, we paid too much for food and took a boat ride. I will never forget my first trip to Paris. When I was around 19 I also went for a quick trip to France to visit a boy. This time I saw Paris again and added Le Chatres, Rouen and Le Havre to my list of French destinations. All places I cannot properly pronounce the name of. That trip was a whirlwind and I pretty much only remember attempting to open a bottle of cider in a moving car. Yes, it exploded allover the Frenchman's rented Renault and yes, we broke up. I also remember impressing the boy's friends by getting blotto in a 17th century farmhouse in the vineyards and declaring "Vive la France!" every twenty minutes. He was a nice enough guy with a striking, gorgeous family. When they took me out one night the contrast was startling. In a group of well-bred gazelles, I was this guy.
Where are you taking me, guys? I could really go for a burger.. or, I mean, le burger.

Paris alluded me until my 29th birthday. The Husband, which was to be one of his most epic gifts of all time, booked us a trip for 4 nights in Paris in March. We froze but walked the city 10 hours a day and it was incroyable. My love for the city was back. Montmartre, the Latin Quarter, the Eiffel Tower, the Seine, the markets, the gardens, the the the EVERYTHING!

My most recent trip to France was Nice and it was very nice. The Kid was 8 months old and we booked a week long trip. Being in the South of France confirmed that France is a pretty spectacular country. The North coast, Paris, Provence, Cote d'Azure - all so very very different but all so special. Now I want to go back. Je t'aime France.
I would make love to that lavender so hard. And then dry it and make little sachets for friends.
As much as I am the biggest fan of Italy, I somehow always imagined I would end living in Paris. I'm not sure if it was because of the fashion, the food, the cities, the architecture, the passion, a young Jean Reno, or the cheese but it always seemed like it would be eventually home. Instead, I have to settle for a gorgeous, safe, beautifully affordable-for-a-capital city named Vienna. Woe is me.

So anyway, back to the challenge. I invited a friend over because I knew she would enjoy a good old fashioned French meal. The menu was:

Chicken in red wine
Roasted thyme potatoes
Green salad with a vinaigrette
Tarte with chevre, caramelized onions and rosemary

Red wine -mais oui

I made the chicken in a simple tanjine that I got from my mother (my mom has bought me two because she knows I love the tanjines). I put in sliced chicken breast, some red wine, chicken broth, zest of an orange, chopped onion, herbes de provence, thyme and rosemary and a dollop of creme fraiche and cooked it at about 120 C for 3 hours.

I roasted the potatoes with some butter and thyme and salt and peppa

The green salad was rucola with a balsamic, garlic and lemon juice dressing

The tarte was made with filo pastry spread out on a cookie sheet, schmeared (I'm Jewish) with creme fraiche, chevre, caramelized onions and rosemary and baked until the pastry was lightly browned.
Pretty much a dream kitchen right there. Minus the horse. That's just an accident waiting to happen with a toddler
I couldn't forget the table setting. I pulled out a tablecloth that I had gotten from my friend, who coincidentally was coming for dinner, years ago. She bought it in France so it was perfect. I decided to go for a more rustic French table setting and brought out the iron candelabra. I searched for lavender but since it is August most shops are closed with a sign saying "Eff you. It's August. I don't need your stinking money". So I kept it simple.
Candelabra blocking view of Dora

Candles lit, wine openend, bon apetit.

The tarty tart tart

My plate, it runneth over


The lovely Debra


It was a spectacular evening and I am loving this challenge. I will have to think of the next film to do. So I wish you all a spectacular day. Au revoir!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge