Trip to Canadaland: Part One

Well I am firmly back in Vienna. I arrived Friday morning and I am still a little jetlagged. I am back at work and ready for the summer. My trip was not exactly a holiday... which I will get to soon.. or not, I tend to ramble. I think it has become quite clear that I probably won't be having a real holiday for a couple of years. Sure, there will be a couple of days where I will be able to log off and watch multiple episodes of Friends re-runs but the new reality is that I am always going to be doing something. And I guess that is o.k. for now. The Kid was happy to see me but unfortunately he had a terrible freak out on Sunday night. We think he is going through growing pains: it happened last summer and it was terrible. Or he is just going through a phase. It has been about 6 months since he had a freak out so that is a positive... I guess. The Husband kept him home this morning because he was grumpy and I hope this is short lived and that my happy boy comes back. The one thing I have to do is remind myself that a phase of freak outs often lead to a developmental milestone so fingers crossed he finally learns how to make me a cosmo after this.

But enough about that for now, let's do this recap! I have had to break it into 3 posts because there was so much going on and so many awesome events and I miss Canada so very very much. Let's go, eh!

Tuesday:
On Tuesday morning, I woke up at 4 a.m. because I am always a nervous wreck before a flight. I decided to spend my time making memes and reading celebrity gossip. I am a mature adult. I was packed and ready and at 7:30, kissed a sleeping Kid good bye and hugged the Husband and headed down to my taxi. I got to the airport within 18 minutes and about 7 minutes after that, my luggage was checked and I had my boarding pass. Never change, Austria, never change. I decided to walk around and check out people because that is one of my favourite hobbies. I love flying with Austrian Airlines because it is always on time and there is always wine. The flight was uneventful and I was able to watch a few episodes of VEEP which I adore.

We landed just after 2 and I rushed off the plane because it's a bad habit. Nowadays, at Toronto airport immigration, if you are Canadian, you don't present your customs form to an officer any longer... which is a bit of a bummer because I love talking about myself and the reason for my visit. Instead you scan it and it prints a copy and you present it to an officer as you exit. One officer checked my passport and he asked where I was flying in from and I was so excited to talk to someone and I said "Vienna! I live there!" and he asked what I did there for work and I mentioned the organization that I work for and he and his two colleagues seemed impressed but I wanted more praise so I said "BUT I AM OPENING UP AN AUTISM CENTER!!" and he looked a little taken aback but then passed me back my passport and said "Good for you!" with a smile and I smiled and then he cleared his throat and told me I could go through to baggage claim. I won't lie, I was a little disappointed.

My luggage came shortly afterwards and I headed over to the UP train to get to downtown Toronto (by the way, I am usually a taxi girl but this UP train is fab and faster and so much cheaper and has WiFi. Toronto tip, you are welcome). I was a little worried earlier that I wouldn't know how to meet up with my Air BnB host but I finally got WiFi and all was settled. 35 minutes later, I was at the downtown condo. The host gave me a quick tour and I thanked him, got changed, ran to Timmy's for a coffee and then the LCBO for some wine. I watched Family Guy to keep myself awake as I waited for a friend (KP) to arrive who was driving up from the States. Just after 7, we were on the balcony, knocking back wine because we are both moms and we could sleep in the next day. Around 8 we decided to get some dinner on King Street West at Kit Kat (I am amazed it is still there) and ordered wine and linguine Alfredo. When I told the Husband I hadn't had it in almost 13 years he said "But why haven't you ordered it here, in Vienna?" and I answered "The Italians don't consider that food."

KP and I sat on the patio and inhaled our dinner and then stopped at a bodega and picked up a pint of Ben and Jerry's because I needed all the North American foods! We went back and sat on the balcony of the Air BnB and do what we do best. Talk.


Wednesday:
I woke up way too early because jetlag. KP and I decided to take advantage of the weather and head to the Beaches. We first stopped at Second Cup (Canada's version of Starbucks) and when I took my first sip, I spilled half of my coffee down my carefully chosen denim dress. It was the perfect outfit for the Beaches but no, I had to change. We ran back to the condo and I chose a nautical outfit and then we headed out again. We grabbed the streetcar at Queen, embarrassed ourselves by not having enough change and talked the whole way to the Beaches. We got off too early but the weather was lovely so we walked and checked out patios and finally decided on a pub for lunch. I made her order poutine because when in Canada. And, it was her first time in Canada and it is pretty much a rite of passage when you come here.

We shared mac and cheese, and a spicy chicken sandwich and poutine and I had a beer and I thought I was going to explode. After lunch we walked down to the water and walked on the beach and sat in chairs by the water and if I had a few million, I would live here forever and always. Love. We made our way back (first stopping at Timmy's for some Timbits) and then decided to rest for about an hour until our next adventure. We got all dolled up and grabbed a cab to Bloor Street to meet my little brother and his girlfriend for pre-dinner drinks. We met at a gastropub and chatted and caught up for a little while and then KP and I had to make our way to Yorkville for a fancy dinner at Sassafraz.

The last time I was at Sassafraz was about 16 years ago. It was during university and there was a snow storm. Me and two friends decided on a whim to put on our nice clothes and headed out to Yorkville for some wine. We ended up at Sassafraz and the three of us ordered a bottle of overpriced Merlot and that is where our term "You can never go wrong with a good merlot" was birthed. Coincidentally, I was back in Toronto this time for one of those friend's wedding. Man, life is fantabulous! Circle of life and all that. So, yes, it was time to go back to this famous Toronto establishment.

KP and I walked in and were shown our table. Our waitress was absolutely amazing and we ordered cocktails and then dinner and it was all so fancy and special. After dinner we decided the night was not over so we grabbed another cab and went to the Fairmont Royal York. This is one of my favourite hotels in the world and I was lucky enough to stay there last year. When we walked into the lobby, KP said "OF COURSE YOU STAYED HERE! OF COURSE YOU DID!" and she shook her head. We made a left and asked for a table at the Library Bar which is everything a hotel bar should be... if you are rich and and own an estate and say "I say" a lot. We were given the last table because the place was hopping. We ordered drinks and ate the wasabi peanuts and again, talked. I swear, the two of us could talk forever and never run out of things to talk about.

We were both starting to fade so we walked back to the condo and had a nightcap and then I passed out, happy for a spectacular day. The next morning KP had to head back to New York and I held back tears. She has become a really close friend these past couple of years and I feel lucky that we have been able to see each other twice so far this year. Last time was in Salzburg and this time Toronto and hopefully somewhere equally as fabulous soon. We hugged good bye and I ran back to avoid the downpour. And I cursed the downpour because at 11, I had a spray tan. I know, I know.

At 10:40, carrying my newly purchased umbrella, I walked west on Wellington to the spa. I cursed the gods for the weather and hoped it would clear up by the time I was blasted with orange spray. At 11, the doors opened and I was shown to an upstairs room, told to get ready and then it was spray time. It took all of 10 minutes, I paid a small fortune and then took a deep breath and headed back into the monsoon. I risked it and that was a mistake as drops of rain hit me despite my umbrella. I got home 15 minutes later and I looked speckled. DAMMIT! I sat in my shorts and t-shirt with my arms raised and I watched Friends and checked Facebook and wrote the Husband. Around 2:30, I was dressed in dry clothes and less sticky from the butchered spray tan and I hailed a taxi and made my way to the Thompson Diner to meet up with a friend I hadn't seen in 16 years. She now has three boys and still lives in Toronto and we have been friends on Facebook for a few years now.

The Thompson Diner is a fab restaurant attached to the Thompson Hotel. I was shown to a booth, I ordered a beer and a few minutes later, my friend KA showed up. She suggested the chicken and waffles but I had to go for a grilled cheese because I like to live dangerously... and by dangerously I mean, constipation is no match for me. We caught up and talked and it was great to see her again. She might even visit Vienna during ball season which is such a must if you want to feel like a princess. A princess who drinks and likes sausages. Yas. After a couple of hours it was time for me to head back to the condo and decompress. It had been a busy couple of days and it was my first night to just sit on the sofa and space out. The rain had stopped and so I walked and then changed when I got back. I watched some more Friends and then decided to pick up Pizza Pizza and a rootbeer and that is my Toronto tradition. I spent the night curled up on the sofa, worried about my cholesterol levels but happy as could be. The dulcet tones of Chandler Bing lulled me to sleep. It was a good day. Save for the fact that I now looked like I had contracted a skin condition. Stupid spray tan. Stupid rain.

And that is it for now! Stay tuned for part 2 of Trip to Canadaland!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge