Great Weekend: Wine and a Picnic

Hello everybody! As you might have noticed, the blog has a new look! I am still tweaking it and hope that in the next week or two, it will be a lot better! Or not. Depends on how motivated I am. In just over a week, the Husband is heading for a one week cruise with his parental units. It will be a bit of a struggle to balance everything but the Kid and I will be fine... I see a lot of walks to the ice cream shop on Margareten in our future. I also am planning on revamping a couple of rooms in the apartment and I can't wait to get started on that. Nothing major, just zuzzing it up a little bit. Tuesday is here and besides a quick drink with a friend after work, I imagine it will be a pretty low-key day (I say that all the time and then I get some cray cray e-mail and the day turns into a battle scene from Starship Troopers). Tomorrow is the Kid's Sommerfest at the kindergarten. It starts at 2 so I will have to get into work super early so that I can make it to the fest. We will stay for a couple of hours and then I will meet a friend for a drink. Around 6:30 I will head to the Hermann Strandbar for a Vienna Expats Meet and Greet where I will definitely meet and greet and drink. Thursday will be a regular day and then Friday at lunch time, something big is happening! You will find out all about it on Social Media probably by 12:45 so stay tuned for that!

This weekend is Pride and I hope that the Kid will be up for a visit to the parade. The last time we were able to attend was about 3 years ago and it was fabulous so I hope that this works out. I am absolutely thrilled to see so many friends participating this year and to see how much it has grown. I also get a little teary eyed when I see all the trams with little rainbow flags. Things aren't perfect yet, not even close, but Vienna is trying. So if you are in Vienna this weekend, check out Pride and look for me in the crowd, yelling at my child to be fabulous.

So now just a quick recap of the last few days! Friday after work I stopped by my friends' new location for their awesome company called Craft Wines. It is on Gumpendorfer strasse and is fab! We sat and tasted (I guzzled. No spitting for this cheap gal.) wine and caught up. I ended up buying a couple of wines, planning some upcoming tastings and it was a lovely lovely way to end the week. (Also, there will be a wine tasting event in September for Autism in Vienna: Beacon Beach House parents to celebrate the 2 year anniversary of the Facebook page! Stay tuned. Free wine!) Anyway... I made my way back home and watched Burn Notice with the Husband and the Kid.. well, the Kid just yelled at me for not reading his mind but that is status quo in our household. Saturday morning was chill and I ended up taking the Kid for a walk around the hood. In the evening I made linguine with a ricotta tomato sauce. The Kid loves spaghetti now so I figured I would make him some real stuff and not the microwave kind that he now inhales. Yeah, that didn't work out. The Kid took a bite, looked at me in judgement, and then got up from the table. Oh my devastated heart. The only thing that makes me feel better is thinking about the clip I watched about Wolfgang Puck having to serve his kids frozen pizza because they didn't like his pizza. Seriously, Wolfie, adopt me. I'd never have frozen pizza again! By the way, if anybody knows him, tell him to give me a call. Looking for a celebrity spokesperson for the center and if they make pizza, perfecto. Multi-tasking my life, guys.

After my delicious homemade dinner (sucks to be you, Kid), the Husband brought the Kid to bed and I switched from cartoons to the start of the Witches of Eastwick. Jackpot! I adore this film and I am pretty sure I have talked about it many many times in this blog. The Husband came in 20 minutes later and sat down on the other sofa and asked "What dis?" and I was like "What?! You don't know this film?!" I spent the next 10 minutes explaining the plot but I think he was just psyched to see Susan Sarandon in a crop top. When the cherry scene approached, I quietly excused myself. I.just.cannot.watch.it. and I still am not a huge fan of cherries. When I came back to the living room, the Husband looked disturbed. Being the amazing wife that I am, I told him not to watch the snake scene. He is terrified of snakes and when he told me about his phobia 15 years ago I asked him why. He said he didn't know and when I talked to his mother she said "I am not sure why he is scared of snakes. I do remember when we lived in Kenya and we were at a restaurant, he was about 6 and lost his soccer ball in the rafters of the outside patio. He climbed up a ladder and accidentally stuck his hand in a snake nest. Hmmm" and she shrugged and I spit out my drink and yelled "WELL I THINK THAT MIGHT BE THE CAUSE OF THE PHOBIA!" So yeah, I warn him when a snake is going to appear on the television.

It was fun to watch together and then right afterwards The War of the Roses came on. ZOMG! Perfect 80s night. My parents loved this film and my dad still chuckles about it. The Husband had never heard of it and I told him he would like it or maybe be disturbed by it. It was late and we tried to stay up but we were too exhausted. The next day the Husband said "I wish we could have watched it until the end." and I said "Do you want me to tell you how it ends?" and he said o.k. and I told him and his face fell a little. I think he had hopes for them. He is definitely the romantic in this relationship... I was just saddened by the waste of a good chandelier... I joke, I joke.

The next morning I woke up in a bit of a panic. I always do when I have an event planned. I don't know how I am not thinner with all this nervous energy coursing through me. The picnic was planned for 11 a.m. but I wanted to get there earlier to secure a couple of picnic tables. Luckily I didn't have to fight someone and I put out a paper table cloth and some chips and pretzels. The Husband and the Kid showed up just before 11 and soon after, people started showing up. At the end we had 18 people and I was happy with the turnout especially considering that it was father's day. I also got to meet the intern. She was lovely, has one year left of high school, and will be an amazing help this summer. She is a total go getter and seems like she is excited about the different projects I will be working on and I feel like another bucket list bullet has been checked: get an intern. My plan is coming together! I got to meet some new people and it was a perfect way to spend a couple of hours on a summer Sunday. The Husband left around 1 to meet his father for father's day and at 1:30, I could see the Kid was getting a little bored so we headed back home. I am still a little on edge about his recent freak outs and so whenever he starts to get a little bit grumpy, I turn into an overexcited cruise director to distract him. Once we were home after the picnic and after I had fed him lunch, he started to get a little kvetchy. I decided we should take a walk around the neighbourhood and it was lovely. Back home and with still a couple of hours until the Husband would be back, I decided to give him a bath. Anything to keep him happy and avoid a freak out. And it worked.

The Husband came home, I had pizza (ugh) and then we flipped between Burn Notice and Formula 1. A pretty special way to end the weekend to be honest. Yesterday was Monday and back to work for me. I received an exciting e-mail saying that a museum here (after our great meeting last week) would be interested in an autism friendly hour so that is really amazing! If you know of a company that would like to offer an autism friendly opportunity in Vienna, please tell them to contact me. I have a couple of ideas and have approached a couple of people so hopefully some more things will pan out soon. So few hours in the day! I wish you all a fabulous Tuesday and I hope that you all can enjoy some of the great weather in Vienna right now! Toodles!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge