Halloween Party - 2014

Well, it's all over. Weeks and weeks of planning and then just one night of excessive drinking and then BOOM! it's over. It's a bit like the Bride Blues that one gets after spending thousands on sugarcoated almonds and a signature cocktail, while screaming at anyone within a 5 foot radius for a year and everyone nodding and smiling and saying "It's your day. We understand." And then BOOM! you wake up the next morning and your taffeta dress with the bazillion buttons going up the back mocks you as you can hear it whisper "You shall never fit into me again". You are no longer the bride. There will no longer be anymore shrill screaming or silver frames received wrapped in tissue paper. You are just a normal person with less money in your bank account. And that hurts.

So this is kind of what happens to me the day after the party. There's a bit of sadness and since I know that this will happen, I decided a couple of years ago to give myself a challenge so that I am distracted on the next day. I tell myself that I have to have all the decorations down and everything cleaned up within 14 hours after the last guest has left. I AM INSANE. And to push myself to do this, I tell myself that I have to post a picture of the cleaned up apartment on Facebook. I HATE MYSELF.. sometimes.

So back to the partay... It was amahzing. It truly was one of the best times I have had at one of our parties.


I always have a good time because I amuse myself but somehow the stars aligned and it was magical. We had just under thirty people and in the new apartment, it did not feel tight at all. The funny thing is that I remember telling myself while prepping for last year's party that, as the glitter skull was my witness, I would never host another Halloween party in that place again. And look. It happened. I BELIEVE!

Saturday morning I took an early morning walk with my friend and then I got down to the cooking. I was a little stressed because I was not stressed if that makes any sense at all. Maybe I finally have big party hosting down? Maybe I'm technically so on autopilot these days that I don't even consider getting stressed because that would cut into my pigs in a blanket making time? I don't know but it kind of weirded me out and now I feel like I need a bigger challenge and that's just dumb. I did get a little stressed at one point when my roux sauce wouldn't roux. Not Jessie Spano stressed, more Kate Gosselin scaring other people stressed....namely scaring the Husband.
Why is the beer not chilled?!

For the last few parties we have hosted, I have made the decision that all food will be on the table just before the guests arrive. This has been my smartest decision to date.... that and full support sports bras.

The menu was:
Pigs in a blanket
Spinach dip (my always dish)
Pizza (my other always dish)
Chinese dumplings
Cheese penne
Baked fajitas
Stuffing
Cupcakes

And my friend Debra made awesome witch finger cookies. Thank you! Many were consumed the next morning because Mommy needs the sugar to collect a bazillion Solo cups on just 4 hours of sleep.
So many bottles to recycle... so many

The candles were lit at 7:20 and at 7:45 our first guests arrived. The evening was a bit of a blur because I was on a hostess high. The costumes were incredible and I am always super excited about seeing what my friends come up with. So here is the list of costumes and huge apologies if I missed anyone!!

A life sized Beanie Baby
A mummy
Death (he helped answer the door a few times and he terrified people and that was AWESOME!)
Conchita Wurst (won best male costume (long story, we had had a few drinks by then))
Medusa
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Two Minions
Death female (I think? Scary whiteface :))
A pair of boobs (they won best couple costume. EVERYBODY loves boobs!)
Rocket people (great homemade costumes :))
Frida Kahlo
Diego Rivera
Dios de los muertas
A mouse
A vampire
Angelina Jolie's wedding dress (she won best female costume)
Bloodied Hansel and Gretel
Two Soviets
Sheldon and Amy from Big Bang Theory
Baroque couple (that was me and the Husband. I spraypainted his head white. I was oddly attracted to my silver fox)
2 a.m. selfie. Apologies for terrifying y'all

When it came to the voting, I decided that I would do a clapping vote because I was not up to collecting ballots and checking ID's and then dealing with a re-count. The clapping actually turned out well because when I closed my eyes, I could imagine people clapping just for me. Ahhh. Bliss. Serious need for praise.. hashtag.

The last guests left at 2:45 when I finally realized that I had been up for 22 hours. The time flew by and it was truly awesome. I cannot believe that after so much prep, the party is ovah. Tovah, it's ovah. But at least tomorrow is Halloween and I am heading out to a pub in the 3rd to sit and drink and eat and toast the end to one of my favourite seasons. But at least there is still Jewish Christmas! Hollah!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!








Comments

  1. >Death (he helped answer the door a few times and he terrified people and that was AWESOME!)

    Always a pleasure :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge