Food Inspired by Films - Amadeus


I meant to post this last week but didn't have time to add the finishing touches... like finding the perfect GIF, etc. So, this is my 4th film-inspired dinner post and I have to say, I'm still loving this challenge. It is a perfect blend of small-scale decorating and food making. Martha Stewart on a "ridic" small budget squashed into a tiny Zales jewelry box.

Last week, the film I chose was Amadeus. This film, I'm guessing, was a huge hit in the 80's. It was, as you probably can guess, a film about Mozart. A very loosely based film about Mozart. So loose that even Kim Kardashian clutched her pearls. Yes. I did that. I totally did. Anyway, the film portrays a young and stroppy Mozart in his prime, pissing off the high society and going tete a tete with the classical master, Salieri. Like an old fashioned Justin Bieber. What's that I hear? Oh yes, thousands of angry musicologists picking up their quills to write me a strongly worded letter. HOW DARE YOU COMPARE MOZART TO BIEBER? HOW DAAAARE YOU!

I'm going off track here. Anyway, I figured it was time to do a Vienna-based film this time around. The menu was:

Schnitzel (chicken)
Kaesespaetzle (cheese and dumplings and more cheese)
Cucumber salad in a vinegar dressing
Esterhazy torte

The funny thing is, is that I really do not ever get in the mood for Austrian cuisine. I had a lot of it as a kid in the 90's, I had a lot of it when I moved back in 2004 and so I am often not in da mood for it. However, every time I order a schnitzel, I think to myself "ZOMG! This is so good! Why don't I eat this more often?!!?" and then I forget that I thought that and go another 6 months thinking "Schnitzel, blech". So I decided to actually give it a whirl and well, it worked out.

To make a schnitzel you first beat the crap out of the meat. Then you dip it in some flour, then some eggs and then some seasoned bread crumbs. Then you fry it in any type of non-nutrionally type oil or butter. I used a combo of butter and oil because I too like to live dangerously. The problem with schnitzel making? It be messy.
I SAID NO WIRE HANGERS!

I need a new pot
I also made some kaesespaetzel which is a heart attack in a metal pan. You boil the dumplings, you drain them, then you mix in some butter, lots of strong shredded cheese and fried onion, then more cheese on top and then bake it all. So good. So very good.

I decided to forgo the traditional potato salad because contrary to my belief, potatoes are not a vegetable. I used thinly sliced cucumbers and onions and made a vinegar dressing. If you are making an Austrian salad, you need to make sure to drown your salad in dressing. Literally drown the greens. And may God strike you down if you forget to put a pinch of sugar into the dressing. And that was the meal paired with a delicious Carnuntum red.
All that glitters is cholesterol 

After blocking our arteries, we had Esterhazy torte which is one of the better Austrian cakes because I believe the main ingredient is butter.
*heavy breathing*

Here is a shot of the table setting. I went dramatic with a black fan and masks. I think it worked out well.


So I wish you all a tremendous day. I am about to embark on our second day at the new daycare. Stay tuned for a post about that!

He was the Ke$ha of his time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge