A Crafty Weekend


Finally finally I got a whole weekend at home. It has been 9 weeks since we have had an only family weekend and it was so needed. I hate flaking on plans but I realized that after this summer, family weekends are a priority. I also got a lot of crafting done which was fantastic! Usually I have to wait until the Kid is in bed until I can get my papier mache on and since, for the past month or so, he hasn't been instantly falling asleep, our nights have pretty much been nightmarific. In the past, the Kid would happily go to bed but for some unknown reason, he has bucked this awesome trend and now gets out of his bed at least 20 times in the course of an hour or two. This has been driving us batshit crazy. On Sunday I set up his big boy bed and he was ecstatic. We put him to bed at 8 and I decided to give reading a try.
Kind of looks like where the cast of MTV's Underaged and Engaged stars would spend their wedding night.

As I wrote on Facebook, for the first time in over a year, I was able to actually read a book to him. I read Peter Rabbit and at the end of the book, the Kid demanded an encore. I read the book 4 times and hid my tears of joy. Then I told him it was time for bed and turned off his light. I was in a happy place for about 10 minutes. Then a low-rent version of Benny Hill happened and the Husband and I spent 2 hours chasing the Kid back to bed. He finally passed out at 10 and then we did too. At 4 in the morning, he came into our bed and we spent an hour trying to get him to go back to sleep. We were not zen at.all. Last night I decided that we had to nip this spiel in the bud and I decided to read again. But this time (and yes, you can judge me as a mother, but not openly) I hid my Kindle in one of his books and read a novel out loud. No, it was not 50 Shades of Gray but rather The Tao of Martha by Jen Lancaster. Lulled by my grating voice, he fell asleep within 30 minutes. It was pretty awesome. The Husband is on bedtime duty tonight, he might be bringing in a Sports Illustrated. We are bad people.
This is a perfectly good book for bedtime reading for a toddler. Please don't judge me.

So, back to the crafting. It was great! The Kid hung out at the dining room table playing with fake leaves while I painted and glued and created. The Husband, meanwhile, put together some Ikea furniture. There was a lot of swearing in the background. But I stayed in the moment and felt all sorts of feels. Especially when the Husband stabbed himself in the thigh with a screwdriver. I kid you not, there is a hole in his jeans. I didn't laugh... out loud.

The first thing I did was make my Fall wreath. I took a styrofoam wreath, got some glue, and glued on dozens of fake leaves. Then I tied on a Fall berry twig thing with some orange ribbon and voila. Apologies for the craptastic picture.

And then I headed to the shop for some more foliage and stumbled upon a white ceramic pumpkin. Yes! Our living room is white, silver and pink and I was struggling with the colour theme for a Fall centerpiece. #firstworldproblems. But this pumpkin saved the day. I decided to paint the remaining fake leaves in silver paint and add pink and silver glitter.


And then I artfully placed it on a silver platter and I am smitten with my Fall centerpiece. Come, let us adore it.

It was a great weekend and I feel like it was the great start to the Fall season. I still have so much to do the next few weeks but I feel much more relaxed knowing that I can craft during the day and the only casualty will be glitter in the Kid's diaper in a day or two.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge