How the Kid is Adjusting to the New Place

Just a mini post regarding our new (fabulous, so very very fabulous. I'm sorry. I'm obsessed) place re: the Kid. The Husband was mostly concerned about how the Kid would adjust to our new digs and at least daily he would wring his hands and voice his concerns. I kept saying "After a week, he will be at home and we will start to see a change in him for the better." The Husband didn't believe me and while I hate to say it...well... I was right. Oh, who am I kidding? I LOVE TO SAY IT! I WAS RIGHT!!!

Before the move. Male sofa building.
So RIGHT. RIGHT! THAT'S ME!! RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT! On Sunday morning we brought the Kid back from the Inlaws and watched him closely. Even though we had been to the apartment at least half a dozen times with him before the actual move, and the Kid seemed to know the place fairly well, he never seemed to completely relax in it. As he walked into our new forever home, he ran straight to his room, saw all his toys - new and old - and immediately started playing. He had a grin on his face and it warmed my cold cold heart. The rest of the day he explored and not once did he try to escape, the extendable leash helped. We went to the playground, ate dinner as a family and he actually slept through the night in his new room. Mommy was proud. Mommy was right. RIGHT!

So the big challenge we faced next was the Nanny picking him up from daycare and bringing him back to our new place. Did it work out? Yes. And not only did it work out, he actually showed her the way to get back - he's partly Germanic. Now a week later, he is at ease and at home. That is all we asked for. And there have been changes - new rules that he is dealing with just fine. Eating is just happening in the kitchen now and we are making more of an effort to eat dinner every night together and much to my joy, it has been great! Also, the living room is no longer a budget toy store like in our old place. He keeps his lead-based toys in his room. Today another major milestone was achieved. I asked the Kid if he wanted to go to the playground this afternoon and said "bitte". So I grabbed some animal crackers and some water and we headed out the door. He usually heads straight for his stroller because he is lazy, but today he walked right by it and yelled at me to "KOMM!". And komm I did, with pride in my heart. We walked down the steps, and headed out into the sunlight and hand in hand walked through the park. It was magazine worthy. The Husband joined us shortly thereafter and we sat on the bench and watched the Kid run around picking dandelions. Motherloving perfect. After an hour we headed home and ate Chinese takeout (he had fries, I'm not perfect).

The next big challenge was getting him into the bath. Since moving here I have tried it all. Cookies hanging from a string above the water, ritual sacrifice of his bath toys, threats of no cartoons and nothing worked. Nada. Until today. I bought bath colouring and threw it into the tub and lo and behold, the Kid went in. Next time I will choose another colour instead of red. It looked a little too Scarface or Rosemary's Baby for my liking - and that is saying a lot if you've ever been to one of my Halloween parties. So maybe my child doesn't have autism but rather an unquenchable thirst for blood. I wonder if there is therapy for that. The Idi Amin prep school for boys? The Pol Pot Junior Academy? Things to Google tomorrow.

And so, I bid you all a wonderful evening. I am the happiest of campers currently and am looking forward to hopefully an uneventful Sunday morning. I leave you with this picture of the Kid running through our park. Eat your heart out Baby Gap advertising.


Oh... and one more thing... I WAS RIGHT!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge