Eurovision Song Contest and Mother's Day

Hello Tuesday! Yesterday I stayed home with the Kid. He slept over 11 hours and then woke up crying and yelling. We assume his stomach was hurting him and I made the executive Mommy decision to keep him home. The Husband was sure that he was fine but I was all Sally Fields and clutched him to my chest. Yeah, I think I got played. By 11 he was happy and bouncing around. Well done, Kiddo, well done. The Nanny and therapy student came in the afternoon so that meant I had a couple of hours to kill. I bought myself some shoes and then stopped for a drink at the shady bar near my place. I read more of the Great Gatsby and then headed home. Of course the Kid was in an amazing mood. I made him dinner and then, since he was full of energy, I decided to take him for a walk. We even stopped at the vegan ice cream shop and he was amazingly patient, waiting for us to get our scoops.

He had a little bit of mine but lost interest so I had to eat most of it. Thanks for helping me diet, kiddo. It was beautifully balmy out and such a great way to spend a warm evening. Totes going to do this more often. We got back home around 7:30 and I put him in his pjs and waited for the Husband to get home. Once he was home, I headed out for a 5k run and I almost ended up passing out at the last hill because a woman was trying to overtake me and I was having none of it. I don't know why I suddenly wanted to be faster, I'm usually not competitive... but there was something about her that made me want to beat her running up hill. I almost lost a lung by the end. Serves me right.

This past weekend was actually pretty lovely. Friday afternoon was spent on a rooftop terrace, Saturday involved feeding a cat and buying dim sum. On Saturday night was Eurovision and we had awesome last minute plans transpire! A couple of friends came by around 8:30 and we ate and drank and the Kid was absolutely smitten with the two guys. After dinner, we sat on the sofas and watched the corniness that is Eurovision and laughed and talked. The Kid started to get grumpy and we told him it was time for bed. Making a break for it, he snuggled in between our two guests... obviously declaring SANCTUARY! Sorry, Kiddo. Bedtime. Once the Husband wrestled him into bed (where he passed out immediately), we were all fully engaged in the show. I adore Eurovision Song Contest when I was able to cover it with a press pass 2 years ago, I thought my time had come. I guess I thought this would be a spring board into something else. I was wrong, but it was an incredible experience and something I will always treasure. This year was definitely tamer than other years.. I guess more countries are playing it safe. I adored Croatia: part Opera part Disney theme song. Romania was totally poppy and fun.. except she forgot to wear pants. In the end Portugal won, narrowly defeating the 17 year old Bulgarian. The Portuguese song was pretty and something you would expect to hear while sitting in a wine bar on a cobblestone street. We all laughed while watching the voting because the Portuguese guy did not look like he actually wanted to win. I think he probably went into this because he just wanted to get laid. Whoops.

Just before 2, our guests headed home and the Husband and I did the dishes. We were both amazed we had made it through the whole show. I guess great company helps! The next morning the Kiddo did not sleep in and at 6:40, he came charging into the bedroom, accidentally kicking me in the kidneys. I got out of bed and made a cup of coffee and then sat down on the sofa. A couple minutes later, the Kid came in carrying a Swarovski bag. He kind of threw it at me but yay! he followed instructions! I received a beautiful necklace and a lovely card, and the Husband printed out part of a diary he started keeping when the Kid was born. It was such an awesome surprise and I was so so touched. A little later I got dressed, went to feed the cat and then the Husband, the Kid and I headed to the In Laws for brunch. After a couple of hours, we headed back home and I spent the majority of the afternoon lying down on the sofa and doing very little. Total bliss. The Husband even took the Kid to the playground for a while. The perfect Mother's Day for this mom!


As I mentioned about a bazillion times, I adore the Great Gatsby. So on Sunday night, while I was lying in bed, and scrolling through Pinterest, I decided that for my 40th birthday, I want a huge Gatsby bash. That gives me just under 4 years to plan which should be enough. I mean, who knows what will be happening in 4 years but I have a sneaking suspicion that things are going to be amazing! Life continues to be absolutely crazy. I have a few e-mails to send this evening and over the next few days. I am looking to set up a few different events for Autism in Vienna for the summer and of course, write another open letter. I would be writing the government at this point but they seem a little busy watching their parties implode. I will wait a couple of weeks. Hopefully my two very important meetings in Ottawa will help show that the Canadian government does show an interest in autism support. A sort of "Why can't you be more like your sister?" situation. I hope you all have a fab day! Toodles!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge