Date Night, Wine Night, Birthday Party, Hard Rock Cafe (twice) and the Kentucky Derby

It has been a crazy past few days. I had to cancel the picnic because there has been a ton of rain and a storm had been forecast. Of course there was no storm this morning but it was actually really nice to have a really quiet morning. As much as I can been an extrovert, I very much crave quiet as well. This is one of the reasons I like to workout alone: silence (save for the sound of my lungs trying to escape my chest cavity). I don't even listen to music when I run... that is how much I crave quiet. Next week will definitely not be as wild: a ladies dinner on Monday, a therapy networking evening on Thursday (which I will only stay for for an hour or so) and then quick drinks on Friday, and a bbq Saturday afternoon. Oh, o.k. that is actually a lot. But not as cray cray as the past few days.

On Wednesday the Husband and I had a date night at Cafe Pierre. It started to pour as soon as I left the office and I had forgotten my umbrella so when I arrived, I looked like a hot mess. My feet were soaking wet but after a couple of sips of wine, I was totes fine again. As I mentioned before, I ordered a quiche and salad and the smug was strong. The Husband and I talked Kanye and this and that and then caught the bus back home. This was our second date night in 3 weeks and I think they are incredibly important. For a while we didn't do them and even though we catch up at home over dinner or watching Columbo, it is very different to be sitting somewhere else and just focusing on me.. I mean us. I think I am going to suggest a pizzeria next time. There's this basic looking restaurant called Blaue Lagune on Margaretenstrasse that I run by all the time and either the food will be disastrous or amazing. I like an adventure! Sometimes.

So yes, date nights back on! On Thursday was the American Women's Association wine night at Eulennest. I have also walked by this place many many times and I was happy to finally check it out. There was one in the 1st district that I walked into many many years ago and they were very rude and apparently they closed 6 years ago and I would like to think that was because they were rude to me but I don't think so. But the people at the Eulennest in the 4th are absolutely lovely so go there. Really, check it out. Their rose is to die for. I showed up, again with wet feet, just after 7. A few ladies were already there and by 8 we were about 9 people. Half of the ladies I already knew and the other half I didn't. We introduced ourselves, I think I said inappropriate things because that's how I roll, and all in all, it was a really lovely evening. I love meeting new and interesting women. All about the #girlpower. Sadly, being so crazy busy, it is rare for me to make the wine nights but I am going to try and pencil more in.

Friday was a normal day at work and then I met a friend for a drink and then at 5 headed to a friend's birthday. I like that it started at 5 because I am an early drinker. Sekt Comptoir is in the 4th district and is a lovely little sekt bar. Sekt is the Austrian version of champagne and I never say no to a little bubbly. The birthday boy was there already with a couple of friends and his kids. I sat down and was given sekt right away. I talked to his daughter for a while and it is always interesting to hear teenager perspectives. And to realize that I am no longer or cool. Not even close. A few more people came and the younguns talked about Marxism. Now, I am a liberal (I am a Canadian that lives in Europe with a special needs kid. I am definitely a liberal. But I am friends with people from every political spectrum because that is what life is all about) but I am not a Marxist but I will listen to other political views. Office Twin has been trying to convert me for years but we both know that will never happen. I love Chanel too much. As the next generation was talking about Marxism at the birthday party, I looked at the table, covered in fancy meats and cheese, artisinal bread and bottles of sekt and I laughed and said "Yeah, this is definitely a Marxist offering." They were cool enough to laugh with me. Or just polite...

I met a couple more people: two event planners. They were absolutely lovely and they told me about a couple of parties they had hosted and I was blown away. I always thought that one day I would be an event planner but the hours would kick my ass. As I said, I am an early drinker. Unfortunately I had to leave at 7:30 to head to the Hard Rock Cafe. I showed up just after 8 and walked upstairs. There were at least 60 people walking around and talking. I located my friend who works there and has been instrumental in planning events at the Hard Rock Cafe Vienna for children with autism. She passed me a margarita (yaaas) and I talked to a couple of different people. I met a woman named Rita Gilligan. Now, this woman is an absolute legend. A waitress for Hard Rock Cafe London back in 1971, she has become a brand ambassador and has written a couple of books. Let me just say that this woman is one of the most amazing people I have ever met. The absolute joy she emanates, the light she gives off, the Irish accent... I can't even begin to describe this angel. I told her about the Autism in Vienna Beacon Beach House not for profit organization that I started and she told me about her struggles and if I could have crawled into her lap, I would have. What a woman. She is in her 70s and just.. again.. I am lost for words. Smart as a whip, kind as can be... and if I can be half the woman she is.. well, I would be happy. It was already 10 p.m. and it was time to call it a night. I told her to stay away from the strip clubs and she responded with "Oh damn." Oh this woman! Yes, that is her with Snoop.

I talked to my friend a little bit longer, freaked out that the screen at Hard Rock Cafe mentioned the Beacon Beach House, talked to a couple more people, and then made my way home. The next morning I woke up completely nervous. Saturday was the big day. I had to be back at the Hard Rock around 12:30. I really had no idea what to expect. I arrived, walked up the steps and saw about 100 people there. There was an auction for pins happening and, again, I had no idea what was happening. This weekend was the Pin Fiesta. These happen worldwide in collaboration with the Hard Rock Cafe. Pin collectors gather and trade their pins and bid on an auction. I now wish I had collected pins. I once tried to collect stamps when I was about 9. I had one stamp and then I tried to remove a second stamp from an envelope and it ripped and I think I said something like "Fuck it, I'll marry rich." There is big money in pins. My friend came up and said, "You know, all the auction money is going to your center, right?" and I choked on my glass of champagne I had just been passed. "WHHAATT?" Had I known, I would have worn a moustache in the back and upped the prices.. I jest, I just had no idea! A little while later I was called up in front of 100 people and passed a microphone and I don't think I have ever been so nervous. I don't know what I said but I assume it was o.k. because nobody threw pint glasses at me. I talked a little bit to Rita and then I went downstairs to the bar. A couple of friends showed up and I apologized that they had missed my craptastic speech. Two friends had to leave but another friend stayed and we drank midday spritzers. I wasn't sure what was happening, there was total chaos. So, long long story short, I don't know how much money was raised but I should find out on Thursday and I am so excited!


After a couple of hours at the Hard Rock Cafe, hanging out with a friend, I went back home and hung out with the Kid. The babysitter showed up at 6 and the Husband and I made our way to the 1st district for a Kentucky Derby Party. I already wrote about it briefly but eu mah gawd was it amazing. There were ladies in hats and men in hats and mint juleps. We made 1 euro bets and Mississippi Delta didn't win. Come on now! The host and hostess were amazing and welcoming and the guests were all lovely. I made them talk to me because I like a lot of attention. Unfortunately we could only stay until 8:15 because the Kid. We said good bye and headed out into the busy Graben and went home. The Kid was still wide awake but the Husband tried to put him to bed and I went for a quick run, then showered and then passed out. Today has been definitely a much needed quiet day. I had to postpone the Autism in Vienna picnic but it ended up being a blessing in disguise because I am pretty brain dead after all of the craziness. Around 1, the Kid and I took a walk around the hood and then at 4, I met a friend for an hour. We are about to have dinner and then I will have to go for a run. Officially done with week 3 of the Tova be Toning it Up Challenge... Just 2 weeks to go. I hope you all have a lovely Sunday. I will spend the rest of it watching Pretty Little Liars and processing how absolutely surreal my life is right now. Toodles!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge