Merry Christmas and I'm Going to New York

Merry Christmas to one and all! It was not a great Christmas Eve or Christmas morning. I won't go into detail but it has not been a great couple of months in one aspect of my life. While 2015 has brought about amazing opportunities and experiences, there has been heart wrenching stress in another way. I reached my limit Christmas day and decided like any rational person would do, to book a ticket to New York for 5 days.

Why New York? Well, there are a couple of reasons. One, dream location. I was there briefly about 20 years ago and I have dreamed of going back for what seems like a lifetime. And two, a friend of mine told me when we met for the first time this summer that she was going over New Year's Eve and that seemed impossible at the time. But it isn't impossible any longer. Nope, flight and hotel booked within 30 minutes and OH MY GAWD I am going on Tuesday morning! I need this trip and I need a bit of a break. I write a lot about my life on this blog but I don't write everything. Besides a few friends knowing what I have been going through, I have managed to compartmentalize my life a little which has luckily kept me sane. Until yesterday, when I watched Macauley Culkin cross the bridge into Manhattan on TV, and it suddenly hit me. I need to do this and I need to do it now.

While I am not always impulsive (unless I have had a couple of glasses of wine), I like to enjoy my life to the fullest but I also like to make practical choices. But sometimes we have to just do what a woman has to do. I will miss the Kid like a missing limb. He is my sidekick and my shadow and the longest I have been away from him in over 3 years is 3 nights when the Husband and I went to Rome this summer. I know that he will be just fine and that he will probably not really notice that the shouty woman is missing until he wants his cake. Luckily with technology these days, I can demand several pictures on an hourly basis while I am away.

Thanks to a friend who works in New York and steered me to the right neighbourhood, I am now booked into a hotel in Chelsea and again OH MY GAWD I CANNOT BELIEVE I AM GOING TO NEW YORK! I am also trying to meet up with some friends from my Moscow and Toronto days and friends I have met in Vienna and also hang with B.B. who is the original inspiration for me losing my freaking mind and booking this trip and it is all so surreal. She might be currently regretting saying to me a few weeks ago "You should totally come with me!" That's like someone saying "Sure, when you are in town, you can totally sleep in our living room for 3 weeks." and you live in a town in a war zone and know that nobody is ever going to ever ever visit you.

This gives me no time to do my usual attempt at a pre-holiday diet, to plan each outfit with precision (including plane outfit), to watch Gossip Girl, Sex and the City, You've Got Mail, Juice, West Side Story, Breakfast At Tiffany's, All the Law and Orders... GAH!

Or to even make a list of every iconic restaurant I have wanted to eat at my whole life. Instead I wrote down: hot dog from a hot dog stand and matzoh ball soup. Yeah, good job there, Tova. On Monday, when the shops open, I will buy a new suitcase and a pair of better walking wedge shoes. I will finish up my laundry of everything black I own and probably book an airport limo from JFK because I am entering New York in style... and I have a ridiculous fear of New York airport taxis ever since that stupid Bone Collector film starring Angelina Jolie and Denzel Washington. I am not rational, I know. So that's the news and if you are in New York, drop me a line and we can meet up for New York bagels... Yay! A third food on my list. I still cannot believe this is HAPPENING! And by the way, give me some tips for MUST DO AND SEE IN NEW YORK! Thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge