Another Little Chrismakkuh Miracle

A few weeks ago I wrote about how the kindergarten called us to tell us that the Kid was actually playing with other kids and my heart burst into about a billion little stars. I full out cried at my desk. Then they called the other day because he went on a hunger strike for pudding. Meh. Can't win them all.

Last night was the Christmas party at the kindergarten and I was debating whether we would go or not. I'm still smarting from the old kindergarten and the times we went to the parties. I remember the first one we went to when the Kid was about 20 months old. The problems were kind of starting but there had been no major issues yet. It was laternenfest that started at 4 because of course. The Husband and I met downstairs and ran up the steps just in time. In the class room, there were many parents and toddlers and the Kid was ecstatic to see us. They made him sit in a circle with the other kids and that was no bueno. So he sat on my lap and they turned off the lights and passed out the lanterns the kids had made. Of course the Kid's little battery operated tea light did not work and he was distraught. I totally get it because I am all about the interior lighting (ref: chandeliers in our new apartment). We had to leave the room as the Kid had a meltdown and shortly thereafter, we left. I was heartbroken because I didn't spend 9 months in discomfort to not see my child be a star. I jest. Kind of.

We did attend the Christmas pageant a month later but he never made it on the stage. Bastards. The next year was laternenfest again and things were not going well at the kindergarten at.all. We had received THE LETTER (ref: a student diagnosing him with Aspergers) and we knew we were slowly being pushed out. I was determined to make it to this laternenfest and took a half day and showed up at 3. This time it was being held in the auditorium. I walked in and it turned out I had missed the "show". KERBLAST! I was told that the rest of the afternoon would be spent wrapping charity shoe boxes for orphans. Now, this is a fine idea but I realized that the 30 plus kids were hopped up on sugar and then expected to place the mountain of toys into boxes - this would not end well. The Kid, who was almost 3, was not going to play along and I made the executive decision to head home with him, bitterly disappointed once again. We never went to another daycare party again... until last night. The Husband left  work early  and picked the Kid up from home. The party started at 5 but I had to work until 5 so when the clock struck 4:59, I gathered my coat and ran out. I showed up just as Feliz Navidad was ending. I found a seat and looked for the Kid. There he was, on the lap of one of the daycare providers. He looked happy and comfortable and when he saw me he babbled something in my general direction. I am guessing "There's that crazy woman I live with who sings show tunes after a glass of mommy juice." The kids were then given presents they made to give to their parents. I admit it, I was a little apprehensive that the Kid would just ignore this task but to our utter delight, he took the package and gave it to us and then walked back to the warm lap. I could have cried at that moment. The Kids sang and the Kid watched and smiled. Then the cookie buffet was open and the Kid headed out into the hallway to run around.

His main provider (who we adore) came up to us and said "This is a Christmas present to me that he could come to this." and I, again, almost blubbered onto her shoulder. The group of kids attacked the cookie plates and the noise level rose. Being a Jewish mother, I spent a lot of time in the hallway, making sure the Kid wouldn't escape. At one point some of the older kids that I recognized from the pictures from the day he played with them, also headed out into the hallway and there was screeching and yelling and I almost had a heart attack but it turned out that this group of young boys like to scream like girls. And the Kid was LOVING IT! At one point a little boy was hugging him and he was ok with it. Damn, tears again. The kids that had mainlined cookies were starting to get wilder and wilder and you could see that the parents were like gazelles in the open. We could all smell danger approaching.. I took the cue and we decided to bundle up the Kid and head home, puffed up in pride. It was truly an amazing experience and I could not be prouder of him. And it was interesting to note that he was not the loudest kid there. Yaaay him! And today he apparently actually ate lunch at the daycare for the first time. It was pizza. He is my son. And I love him to the Moon and back. #Iamblessed. Uh oh, crying again.

It is time for me to head to bed now. Today was another stressful day at work and tomorrow will be just as stressful. But the good news is that in the afternoon, my two weeks of holiday are starting! Woot! I had a great time at spin class this evening and I am so back to be back in the saddle. Starting January, I am aiming to go at least once or twice a week. In other news, Saturday is going to be insane; first an open house at a jewelry store, then the Vienna Würstelstand Vanille kipferl party and then at 7:30, dinner at my favourite restaurant: der Fuchs und die Trauben with old AIS friends. Busy busy. I wish you all a fantastic Thursday night and catch you on the flip side! I need to go lie down now.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge