A Great Weekend And Some Dis and Dat

Hi early in the work week! I am actually ok with early in the work week. I feel like they are good for starting new projects and resolutions. I have so much to do because this weekend I indulged... and I am happy I did. I needed it. On average I write about 5-10 e-mails a day (non-work) and 5-10 private messages (non-work) a day plus all the other things I work on (like judging the Kardashians). Some e-mails/messages are leisure and some are related to Autism in Vienna and sometimes I wish I had a personal assistant so that I could dedicate more time to other things. Here is my open call to a future personal assistance: must enjoy happy hour once a week, tells me I'm pretty and laughs at my jokes. There, done. Apply in the next few months. Your application must include a short essay on why reality TV is the best TV of them all.

So it is Tuesday evening, I am back from a date night with The Husband. It has been a long time since we have gone out for dinner just the two of us and it was nice. We went to one of my favourite places in Vienna, Cantinetta La Norma. I have been going there for about 11 years. When I first moved to Vienna (the second time; this time with boobs and a bank account), I taught English at Berlitz. After classes, I would head to La Norma with a friend and we would drink wine and chat and it was everything. Every time the weather gets cold, this becomes my favourite little Italian place to hang out in. The food is decent but the atmosphere is everything. A small place with arched ceilings and frescoes allover the place. I adore this place. Want to make me happy? Invite me for a night out at this place. Anyway, now I am full and wearing leopard print pj's. Bliss.

This past weekend was a good weea.kend. It was definitely a weekend of leisure which I needed. Friday after work, I met my friend A.B.  for some punsch/glühwein at the Karlsplatz Christmas market. I stood at the wrong darn stand initially and she offered to get the first round at the stand we were supposed to meet at. We ordered a Quitten Orange punsch with rum and sipped and chatted. Then it was my turn to get a round in and I headed around the corner. I stood behind two ladies who were not together. The first lady returned her cups and said "Is there a Frau Stein here?" and the guy behind the counter was like "Ummm. No?" and the woman then asked "Is Marianne here?" and again he answered. "No." and she was like "I was supposed to meet her here." and at that point I started to roll my eyes.

The guy behind the counter, being a better person than I, called out to his staff in the punsch stand "Does anyone know of a Marianne?!?" and then one of the staff yelled out "Oh, yeah, she is at the next stand."  That's what I call service. The lady nodded and went off to meet her friend Marianne Stein. The next woman in line went up and returned her cup for her deposit and received a 2 euro coin. The transaction was complete and I excitedly stepped forward. Before I could utter "Two Schilcher Glühwein, bitte." the woman who had received the 2 euro coin raised it towards the guy behind the counter and said "What type of coin is this?" he patiently responded " A 2 euro coin." but she thrust it towards him and said "No, no. Which country is this from?!" and he took it from her and looked closely and said "I'm not quite sure." at this point I was really frustrated but I put a smile on my face and grasped my two cups in anticipation. The lady was not satisfied with his answer and for at least 2 minutes, they discussed 2 euro coins and I wanted to scream.

Finally she was satisfied with her odd coin and I was up. I placed my two cups on the counter and placed my order and the guy said "Sorry, you are in the cup return line. You have to order your drinks over there." NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I finally got my glühweins and headed back to my friend. We finished our drinks and then stopped at Pointers for a spritzer and then I headed home for some mac and cheese and to watch Love Actually. Oh, there was so much sobbing that night. So much.

Saturday morning I put together the new Christmas tree. Now, I knew it was big when I ordered it on Amazon. And I knew it was big when I picked it up at the post office at work and I needed a friend to help me bring it back to my office. I knew it was big when I asked the same friend to help me bring it to the taxi stand on Thursday afternoon. We work in a mucho grande compound so we had to lug the huge 30 pound box for close to ten minutes. We kept saying "It's a Christmas tree! Yaaay!" to strangers and people smiled. Then we got dark and said stuff like "Damn Kelly just wouldn't shut up." heh. We got through security and then walked to the taxi stand. The first driver opened his trunk but it wouldn't fit. The taxi driver next in line called out and said he  could fit it in his trunk and we dragged it over. He explained that he had just had surgery on his arm and couldn't help us put it into the trunk. We finally got it into the trunk and I thanked my friend and took a seat in the back. Of course when I arrived home, my one armed taxi driver couldn't help me so I ended up dragging the blasted thing on my own. After taking it up a flight of stairs and snapping my spleen in the process, the tree was home. I opened the box up on Saturday morning and the Kid exclaimed "BAUM! (tree)" and that made my day. In the afternoon, the Husband and I decorated the 7 foot 8 inch tree and I am in love. This tree is everything!!

Saturday evening my dear friend D.K. came over for dinner. I made risotto. And risotto takes for ever to cook so we got blottto waiting for risotto and look, I am a poet and I didn't know it. Suck on that, Sylvia Plath! Boom! We drank wine, ate dinner and, as always, had an awesome time.

The next morning, the Kid woke me up with his traditional kick to my kidneys and I go started on brunch. My friend B.B. was coming with one of her sons. I made mini quiche, pancakes, Pilsbury croissants and quesadillas. The Kid saw me take out eggs and he yelled "EI!!(egg)" I swear he is trying to kill me with all the feels. B.B. and I drank mimosas, the two boys avoided each other and it was just a great Sunday. By the Kid's bed time, I too was ready for bed.

Before I call it a night, I thought I would share with you all an amazing private message I received the other day. It truly touched me to the core. Getting messages of support in any form is everything and so I am forever and always grateful for the amount of support I have received. So here is the incredible message I received a few days ago. Name and location have been omitted.

Hi Tova! I just wanted to reach out to you and tell you that I was really touched by your recent post and your blog. I can relate to what you wrote, my nephew, has autism. I too remember the day we got the diagnosis and the feeling of being punched in the stomach. My nephew was 2 1/2 when he was diagnosed, it was August 6 years ago. My sister was told that he was very far on the spectrum, that he would likely never be functional and to prepare for the fact that he will probably be in an assisted living facility his whole life. It was like a death in the family, like losing the son you thought you had. We were devastated - I don't need to tell you what that felt like. My sister and her husband were incredible. They refused to give up on .... He went into intense behavioral therapy, ABA and speech therapy (he hadn't said a word by age 2 1/2). It's a long and difficult journey, you have to dedicate so much of yourself to the process. After very intense therapy, the professionals working with... agreed that we can try a regular first grade, provided he has a therapist stay with him in class and help him throughout the day. (Unnamed country) classrooms are especially tricky in these cases, because class sizes are large (can be up to 40 kids) and that's overwhelming. ... did well in first grade, and by third grade he didn't even need the therapist with him anymore. He attends regular school like any other child his age, has friends and you can't shut him up. Every time I'm at dinner at my sister's house and ... is going on and on about something at school, it blows my mind to think that 6 years ago we were told that the likelihood of him ever speaking is slim to none. He's unbelievably gifted. In addition to speaking ... (he reads books at high school level), he taught himself English and now he's teaching himself .... The kid is gifted beyond words, he can't get enough information in his head to satisfy his curiosity. But the best part is that he has friends, he goes to birthday parties, he's on a little league basketball team. He lives a normal life. These are all things that we couldn't even begin to imagine 6 years ago. The diagnosis was so awful. The experts were speaking in terms of quality of life and bringing him to a point where he might be able to care for himself independently. It's so hard to believe that that kid from 6 years ago is the same kid I know today. I'm not saying there aren't any issues to deal with. In certain social situations, he can get overwhelmed and freak out at greater levels than other kids his age. But those episodes are becoming more rare as well. I just want you to know that there IS HOPE. Stay strong, do all the recommended therapy - IT HELPS!! We know so much more about autism today than we did one or two decades ago, the intense therapy works. I am sending you warm, wonderful, positive vibes. If two thanksgivings down the road you feel like you've come a long way, you'll be amazed where you will find yourself in another two thanksgivings, and then another two. Much love

Such an INCREDIBLE message and I say thank you again and again!!!! These type of messages give me so much hope and I believe it gives hop to other parents in our situation. I wish you all a fantastic evening. It is time for me to crawl into bed. Nighty night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge