Fighting Crime and What Should I wear on the Plane

One more night and then I will be heading to the city that never sleeps which, coincidentally, is my middle name: Tova Never Sleeps M. After several decisions on what to wear on the plane, I finally decided to go simple. I am not bringing my awesome large coat because one of my pet peeves is carrying a ton of stuff around the airport and onto the plane. I turn into self-appointed Captain maximum hand luggage person and will give the stare when I see someone carrying on something that looks like a shopping cart. That same person will always end up spending a good 5 minutes trying to fit the blasted thing into the overhead compartment and either I am stuck behind this person while I wait to get to my seat or I am in an aisle seat and I get to have their crotch in my face while they are unable to fit the so-called round peg into the square hole. GAH! On a related note, currently decided what to wear on the plane. Either comfy black dress, tights and flats. Or leggings, large sweater and short boots. Pashmina? Always. And in a dark colour because I always spill my bloody mary.

Anyway, this morning I have to hit a couple of shops and run a couple of errands. Shopping includes a pair of flat boots and leggings and errands include a new battery for my watch and a plug converter. I am hoping that my new laptop (pink) bag arrives that I bought from Amazon thanks to the parental units'  Christmas gift to me so that I can bring it with me, worst case scenario, I will use an oversized purse that I have. I received an awesome new phone for Christmas from the Husband but my SIM card is apparently from the Stone Age so I have to get a new micro SIM card and I hope it works out because this new phone is a total fashion accessory. I am also debating on buying a new suitcase today but I think I will buy one in New York because shopping. Other than that, I plan to spend the day snuggling the Kid, actually smothering him with guilt love and making sure there are enough provisions during my absence. I might have to take a nap too because I am suffering from insomnia which I think is due to my terrible diet this holiday season and of course, insane anticipation for this last minute trip.

Yesterday was a pretty chillaxed day...at first. I took the Kid for a walk around the neighbourhood. It's our usual 90 minute route and he sits in his stroller, insanely happy. I talk to him, he ignores me and it truly is our bonding time. After the walk, the Husband and I watched Murder She Wrote and the Kid, feeling left out, brought his laundry basket from his bedroom, placed it across our laps and crawled into it. He is still like a cat and it amuses me to no end. Kind of. In the afternoon, I got dressed and met my friend at 1516 for some coffee and to talk about, what else, New York. She is staying with a friend and two of her friends from Vienna are also coming to the city. Apparently 15 per cent of the Viennese population will be in New York over New Years. After a couple of hours of talking (and clapping while exclaiming "WEEEEE! NEW YORK!", we made our way home. I jumped off the tram at Karlsplatz and walked down to the Ubahn station. I walked onto the escalator and suddenly my spidey senses were tingling. Two young women walked past me and I could tell they were staring at my purse. I get it, it's Tommy Hilfiger and red and lovely but they were not admiring it...no they were sizing it up. I kept a death grip on it and moved it to the other side of my body. Two young tourists were a couple of steps down from me and these two shady women walked past me and then stood right behind one of the tourists. One angled her body as a shield and then I could see the other woman reach for the backpack zipper. I stood there for a few seconds and debated with myself whether I should intervene or not. I am not brave, I avoid conflict and were I ever to be in a fire, I would most likely push people out of the way to get to the exit first... in short... I am not Buffy.

But then I realized that this just pissed me off. This is an awesome city, these are tourists visiting this awesome city. This city does not need this reputation and there will be no THIEVING on my watch. I guess adrenaline kicked in and I stepped down and yelled "HEY!" and slapped one of the thief's hands who were now in the tourist's backpack. I walked down a couple more steps, not sure if the tourists spoke English and did the whole miming of "Your backpack! Check it! Those women are trying to rob you!!" and the tourist with the backpack snatched it off her back and saw that it had been opened and gasped. Meanwhile the two women (THIEVES!!) looked at me and I could see anger (probably murder #itwasscary) in their eyes but they gave me a thumbs up and then did a little bow to act innocent and I gave them my look and told the tourists to walk down the escalator and make sure nothing had been stolen. I went first of course. #selfpreservation. I realized after I stepped off the escalator, that I could have put myself in a bad situation and like a coward, ran around the corner on the platform and then started shaking.


I dry heaved for 30 seconds, and then checked to make sure that the two shady women were not going to follow me and then I saw the two tourists in the middle of the platform, checking their stuff. I went back up to them and asked if they had everything and if they were alright. They spoke fluent English and said "thank you" and told me they were flying home the next day and this would have been a disaster. I said "No problem." when inside I thought "I'M JACKIE CHAN, BITCHES!" And then my train came and I started to shake again because I am not Jackie Chan. I am like the minister of Vienna tourism, at best.

And so, that was enough crime fighting excitement to last me for a couple of months. I am happy that I intervened but I also wonder if I would do that again because I scare easily. Sure, continue to praise me because I love praise, but really, most people would have done the same. Maybe I can buy a cape? #modestyisnotmythingtoday Anyway, that was different but I hope I built up a couple of karma points to help me find all the wonderful sales in New York. I wish you an awesome first day after the Christmas holidays! To infinity and Barneys!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge