Motivation

If you know me or read this blog, you know that I am a crazy person that wakes up around 5 most days. I'm not happy about it but I need to do it. You see, if I woke up when the Kid would wake up, I would be an angry angry person. I need at least 30 minutes of absolute silence paired with celebrity gossip before I can be human and that is the main reason I get up so early. Before child, 6 was my average wake up time so I always have been a bit of a morning person. Not a happy morning person, but a person who arises early in the morning.

I am now into my second week of interval training. This morning I did the 1 minute walk and 4 minute run for 25 minutes. The first bout of running almost sent me into an asthma attack but I slowed down my pace and by the 4th cycle, I was kind of in the moment. Kind of. I don't listen to music because I am currently using my cellphone to keep track of the intervals but I have decided that when I complete my 8 weeks, Imma buy me an MP3 playa. And download Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and Kelly Clarkson because I have the musical taste of a 15 year old girl.

I always like to have inspirational visuals to surround me when I venture into a new project. When we moved and we were waiting to hear about whether or not we would be accepted into the kindergarten downstairs, I changed my desktop to show the Google map image of the location. For about a month I would stare at that image, hoping that we would get a place and we did. I also have had a picture of Carrie Bradshaw for months to inspire me to keep writing. Should probably find an image of Carrie Bradshaw - the Later Years, also known as, in my case, the Cheese Years. And now, I have changed my desktop once again. And I will get to that in a minute.

I have never been a fan of the RUNNING. In fact, you could have probably placed that in my top ten list of Things I Hate. But I am now signed up for this 5K and Mommy is going to follow through. A friend mentioned a book a few years ago and she said it was incredible: that it would make you want to just get up and run. I probably chortled or "pooh poohed it" and took another sip from my spritzer. When she heard that I was starting to run the other week, she wrote me and said "You totally need to read this book." and she was TOTALLY RIGHT!

The booked is called Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and I am only half way through but I am absolutely hooked to this book. And I totally want to run while I am reading it. It is well written, gripping and makes you want to say "Fuck it, I quit real life. I want to start running... in nature." I'm not going to go into detail but there is one character (a real person, actually), Jenn, who has now become my desktop background vision desktoppy thingy as of yesterday. And here it is and if you read the book, you will understand why.

And not only have I become more inspired to follow through, I have also made the executive decision that the Husband needs to start jogging too. Oh how happy he is! I told him the new rule this morning and he has been the joyful recipient of many e-mails detailing the benefits of running. I'm also implementing at-home date nights that don't involve watching Melrose Place re-runs or terrible German reality shows. Don't get me wrong, I love me some reality tee-vee but some of these German ones? I'm only human. The book also talks about avoiding meat and well, looks like we are having spicy black bean burgers and guacamole tonight, kids!

So, yes, I am one of those Challenge Accepted people who is very very grateful she has not yet met a cult leader because next thing you know, I would be wearing a hemp robe in a desert praying to some alien named Derek.

But I am happy that I am starting to get a little hooked. As one friend pointed out, this isn't the worst thing I could get hooked to. And then I told her about my awesome plan to try every pizza margerhita in Vienna. So I need to keep myself motivated, maybe watch Chariots of Fire and Rocky and soon I will be a lean, mean, running machine... Well, maybe just mean after eating my weight in pizzas next month.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge