Manic Mondays

And so it begins - half days for the Kid. Originally his daycare told us that they would be kicking him out at the end of May, but thanks to our child psychologist, we were able to negotiate that he stays until the end of August if we switched to half days. Today was the start of half days and it is going to be a veddy veddy long 4 months. Also, in July, the Nanny is gone for 3 weeks and then in August, the daycare is closed for 2 and a half weeks. There will be alot of juggling of schedules and I look forward to the time when we can actually get back to normal even if there is no such thing as normal. But it would be nice to drop the Kid off at daycare, have the Nanny pick him up and both the Husband and I arriving home at a reasonable hour. Big dreams.

So today was my day to pick him up at noon. I work on the other side of the city so I say "bless you public transport of Vienna". This morning I took a walk around the park for 30 minutes to work off my angst, then left at 6:55 to bike to work. The Husband was in charge of taking the Kid to daycare. Then I ran out of work at 11:30 and made my way across town. I had a couple of minutes to spare so I ran into Aida (Austria's pastry shop chain where dreams go to die) and wanted to buy some leverage just in case the Kid decided to high five traffic. Of course they only have slices of cake and melty goodness so I thought I would be smart and purchase the bite size cakes. Watch this space.

I made it to the Daycare with time to spare and it was pretty cute to hear the Kid bellow "MOMMYYY!" from across the hall. He ran towards me, spilling his bowl of soup, because of course, and hugged me tight. He kept looking at me like he couldn't believe I was there. I got his shoes on and we walked down the steps hand in hand - with him looking up at me with the biggest smile. He got into his stroller and I duct taped him in and off we went to the tram.

Now, the Kid knows where the tram station is, but he hasn't yet grasped that there are two different trams that stop there. Ergo the ultimate sideshow from yours truly when the wrong tram pulls up. I practically speak in tongues to distract him. Luckily he was easy breezy beautiful cover girl and waited patiently for the next tram. It arrived and on we went. The trick is to unwrap the duct tape and put him on your lap. He will happily sit for hours looking out the tram window. Note to self, buy tram window. When we got off at our stop, I decided to nip any fits in the bud, and like a well endowed Sir Walter Raleigh, presented my treasure of bite sized treats, on bended knee. The reaction was good, of course. "KUCHEN!" he screamed and reached a hand out and grasped the gift. Of course, being cake, Austrian cake, the top is mostly comprised of well-formed mousse. Within a minute, he was covered in melted chocolate. He devoured it in record time and yelled "MOOORRE". I took out the last piece and before I could hand it to him, SPLAT on the ground. 3 second rule my friends, 3 second rule. I'm not proud.

Looking like a terrible thing had happened in a public toilet, we made our way home. I gave the Kid a banana and several wet wipes, played with his cars and then at 2, the Nanny showed up and I made my way back to work. I am exhausted. The next 4 months will be a challenge and yet I also look forward to feeling sorry for myself... I jest. It is great to be able to spend a little more time than usual with the Kid... even if he can't eat chocolate cake like a normal person... smeared across one's new Bebe blouse.

And so, I wish you all an awesome Cinco de Mayo. I am spending it drinking margaritas and watching German reality TV and not thinking about the next 16 weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge