Hosting a Southern Party - Food Planning

Friday. Yay? It has been a long week. The Husband was on a business trip for three days and then yesterday I had a late shift at work. I got home around midnight and face planted into bed as soon as I got home. I had planned to spend the morning buying decorations for the party but it was pissing rain and I was just not.in.the.mood. I have to start work again at 2 today and I am so tired. I might even have a nap soon. Mommy's a morning person. So hopefully later today or on Saturday, I can complete my shopping list. Moving on.

Usually when we host a partay, I make enough food to ensure that the morning after, I can just sit at the table and shovel the leftovers into mouth with the firm belief that cheesy cold food will release me from the hell that is my hangover. This is a temporary relief and then I crawl back to the sofa and watch bad TV. With a child at home, this is near impossible so the drinking is not as heavy as before... But the exhaustion does still lead to bad food choices. I totally went off on a tangent.

Anyway, for all the parties hosted over the years, I tend to make a lot of food - a dinner buffet. I love to ensure that my guests are full and I usually like to serve the food a little later in the evening because food always tastes awesomer (it's a good word) after a couple of glasses of wine. For our upcoming housewarming, I have decided to go a different route; hors d'ouevres. Yup. Fancy stuff. I have spent the last few weeks on Pinterest looking for bite-sized, somewhat decent looking finger foods and I think I have narrowed it down to about 6-7 choices. Even though this is a Southern themed indoor garden cocktail party, I am keeping the food neutral because grits ain't no finger food. The choices so far (and I retain the right to change my mind on the day of the partay) are:

Cucumber cups. I have never made these before. They look great and I like the idea of pairing them with tzatziki and beets. Must figure out how to hollow out the cucumber.

Blue cheese and pear wontons. I like the combo and now I just have to figure out how to make sure they don't fall apart.

Potato truffle goat cheese pizza. I have actually made this before and it is delicioso!

Mini potatoes with sour cream and chives. These are cute. Wish me luck.

Feta, olives and tomatoes on a stick. Things on a stick. Yes.


Blueberry brie tarts. Again, must figure out a way to stop them from oozing uberall.


Mini spicy beef pies. Spicy is as spicy does.


Good old fashioned bruschetta. But to ensure they don't get soggy, the topping separate in a bowl with a spoon.


And I think I will be making cupcakes for something sweet. Of course there will also be bowls of chips just in case. Next week I will type of the offerings and print them out to put into white frames I already own. I also need to make a list of ingredients so that I can do the shopping on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. As with every party, I make as many dishes as I can the night before so that the day of the party can be spent screaming and pulling my hair more effectively. Who am I kidding? I love this! And now it is time to lie down.



Comments

  1. You need to be a part of a contest for one of the most useful sites online.

    I will recommend this web site!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge