These are a Few of my Favourite Things

Oh my God this heat. 38 celsius today, kids. I am melting. Thank you for air conditioning at work otherwise I would be on strike. I am not a heat person unless I am by a pool (preferably private) and holding a cocktail. Sure, summer is o.k. and stuff... but if I start to sweat from places that shouldn't sweat... yeah, no bueno. I might even head to Bikram yoga on the weekend to cool down. Blergh. Last night I had a lovely dinner at Francesco and tomorrow is a family photo shoot. We will melt. We will sweat. But at least there will be a couple of great pictures of the Kid doing his best Blue Steel.

It has been a while since I have done a My Favourite Things so I thought I would do a post tonight. If I don't, you know, pass out halfway through. Sidenote: it is pissing rain right now and people are walking through the park and look overjoyed in the downpour. That's just how damn hot it is. WHAT IS THIS MADNESS!?! Yes, I am a Fall girl and my favourite 4 months of the year start September 1st. I love the shorter days, the chilly nights, the flattering clothing and the freshness. I find it to be the most romantic time of the year and I will always be a Fall girl... unless I have access to a swimming pool and a swimsuit that gives me a waist. Anyway. The Kid had a freak out with the Nanny this afternoon. She said it wasn't too bad but it is frustrating to hear. I am waiting for this medicine to kick in and fingers crossed it happens soon. We are into day 3. Good times. The waiting game. Speaking of game, the Austrian women's national soccer team is playing right now. I am really happy to see that they are broadcasting the game on the national TV station and that the two commentators are incredibly excited. Yas! Ladies! Do it!

So now, let's move on to my short little list of my favourite things right now.

Two new Austrian sayings: The other day, a fabulously dressed lady in her 70s ordered a mineral water. She didn't say "mineral water" but rather "water with perlchen (pearls)". She said it in a husky old Hollywood style and it thrilled me. I think from now on I will order wine with pearls because it sounds so lovely. I should probably drink less. The other term that I heard, and which I will loosely translate into English was: Pity is free, jealousy is earned. I love this and I think it is so on point. I am going to sit in a wine bar and order my pearl wine and say that term like a lady, to millenial hipsters walking by with their beanies and scarves.

New One: I love this store and my parents have gotten me a couple of gift certificates from therein the past. They have really lovely stuff and their cheaper line is incredibly affordable. Now, don't get me wrong, I adore their diamond and gold series but I would be happy with anything from there. They currently have a little cactus ring that is ad.or.able. Want! But currently on a budget so will just think about it a lot.

Craftwines: Friends of mine opened this shop up a few months ago on Gumpendorferstrasse. I have mentioned them before but I need to keep mentioning them because I think it is a fab business. The wines are all locally (Austria) sourced and they know their products inside and out. I love stopping by on a Friday afternoon and picking up a bottle. They are like my little wine cellar that I don't have to personally stock. If you are looking for a great wine selection, drop by during the week. Tell them Tova told you about them and then maybe I will get a couple more free schlucks next time I go... truly, all about me.

Francesco: As I mentioned above, I went out for dinner to Francesco last night. I haven't been in 20 years. I used to live on Kahlenbergerstrasse back in the 90s and so it is always funny when I go back to the hood. They have a lovely schanigarten and  always try and reserve! When we got there at 6, it was empty, by 8, packed! There are two lovely chestnut trees that provide shade and of course, come late Fall, will become little grenade launchers as the chestnuts, in their protective spiky coats will come hurtling to the ground. Fun times! It was lovely to sit under the trees, eat pizza and drink wine. I will not wait another 20 years to go back. No I will not.

Tiga Lily: I saw this store advertised on Facebook the other day and decided to check out their website. Oh my God do they have beautiful stuff! The Amalfi dress is a dream! I will have to stop by their store soon but I will need to save for a few months because totally out of my price range at this point. With the Kid's therapy, we are spending close to 1,000 euros a month so fun shopping is on the back burner at this point. But one day, one day. And nothing is stopping me from going by and maybe if I stare at an item long enough, maybe someone will buy it for me. This was my trick back when I was kid. The rule was that we couldn't ask for a present if we were in a store. So brilliantly I would just stand in front of a Barbie or a My Little Pony and stare intently at it, hoping my mother would pick up on my desires. It sometimes worked. Now? Not so much. Standing outside of Chanel for too long really freaks out the security guard.

Secret Vienna: This is a fantastic Facebook page! Every few days they share some historical fact about Vienna and it is so neat! They are doing a walk called "Dark Secrets" on August 17th and I am totally going to go! I love finding things out about this city. I just wonder if they are cool if I bring something to drink?

So there you have it, a short list for now. I am sure that I will discover some new things soon and then of course I will post about it. I hope you are all able to beat the heat tonight. Once the Kid is in bed, I am going to stand in the shower for a good twenty minutes. I melt. Have a fabulous night and good luck Austria! Second half of the game coming up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge