Stayed at Home Today

Hello Wednesday! I stayed home today because our nanny had some good and scary news and couldn't come in the afternoon. She is in our thoughts and prayers! Our awesome nanny has been with us for over 4 years and is part of our family: we would be lost without her! She has struggled alongside us through the bad times and has seen how much the Kid has developed and has celebrated all the small milestones with us. We are so grateful to have her in our lives!!! Usually I would have gone to work for a half day but the Kid's sleeping habits have been craptastic (for lack of better term). I think it has a lot to do with my trip a couple of weeks ago. I think he is going through some post-traumatic stress and is just making sure Slave Number One is still around for snuggles and chocolate bribes. I was going to make some Ike and Tina joke but realized that is totally inappropriate. Like that has ever stopped me before.

The last 5 nights he has been sneaking out of his room at bedtime at least a dozen times. Now, he loves bedtime. He craves bedtime. He asks for bedtime and usually our spiel is: lights out, some milk, sit beside him for 5 minutes while secretly checking Instagram (I AM NOT A PERFECT MOTHER, OK!?!?) and then exiting quietly. But not lately. On Monday night he came out at least 20 times and we got up and chased him back to his room. He started giggling which is what every parent loves to hear when they are pissed off. Don't poke the bear, Kiddo. He finally nodded off at 10 after we had hit our Fitbit record. We went to bed and then at 2, he came storming into our room. The Husband took him back. The Kid came back. I took him back. The Kid came back. It was like some Cronenberg Benny Hill skit. Dark and not really comical. Finally on the 5th time, the Husband yelled "Es REICHT!" and then I yelled "DON'T YELL AT HIM IN GERMAN!! YOU SOUND LIKE THE GESTAPO!" and the Husband said "YOU YELLED AT HIM!!" and I countered with "I HAVE A MELODIC AND LOVELY VOICE, DAMMIT!" Yay! Parenting at its best!

The Kid finally fell asleep at 4 but then awoke at 6 and nobody was happy Tuesday morning. As expected, the Kid fell asleep in the kindergarten so we knew he would not be falling asleep until at least 10 which really very long story short for why I took the whole day off since after dropping him off later than usual, I would have to be back in time to pick him up at 1. So what did I do with my 4 hours of freedom? I napped a little. Did a little laundry. And watched Real Housewives of New York. Gosh, it has gone downhill. It was such an epic show back in the day. And Bethenny Frankel... why you so mean? I loved you. I was rooting for you! You have millions! An apartment in New York and a house in the Hamptons! Dammit, woman, be nice! Sorry, I like to think that reality TV stars can hear me through the screen.

At 1, I put on a bra and clothes that don't have swear words on them and walked to the Kindergarten. Boy, was the Kid excited to see me! It was like he couldn't believe I was actually there and it probably looked like he never sees me. Working mom guilt thought #1585: not spending enough time with your kids that they lose their shit when you are where they never see you. I put on his shoes (couldn't find the ones I brought him in and I truly hope I didn't take some other kid's crocs. Oh, just texted the Husband a picture of the crocs and he responded, they are the Kid's. Thank God.) and I put on his helmet and he got on his bike and back to the apartment we went. He kept looking up at me with a smile and I absolutely melted. I like working. I like having a job. But moments like these are AWESOME!

In other news, I am firmly back into the running thing again. I started my interval training on Monday and it felt amazing. And when I say running I mean that if I were in any city other than Vienna, a concerned citizen would have pulled over and asked me if I needed an Epi pen. Last night I met a friend at the Beaver Brewing Company. I had a couple small beers and a portion of sweet potato fries. The night ended earlier than expected so I headed home and decided to put on my sneakers and take another run. I love running on a summer evening in Vienna. The city is almost magical and takes on this different feel: almost Italian but not quite. My run finished faster than I expected and I headed home to take a shower and watch the Husband try to chase the Kid down to go to bed. Bless. This afternoon the Husband is coming home for a couple of hours so that I can meet a couple of friends for a drink at Fassldippler. Then I will go home and try and make the Kid run laps so that he passes out at 8 so that I can crawl into bed and watch more reality TV since I will be home alone tonight. And fingers crossed for a good old fashioned storm because hopeless romantic.

I don't have any other plans for the rest of the week since I have a lot of work to do. I am hoping we can take a small day trip with the Kid on the weekend. Unfortunately it will have to be by bus since he is now terrified of the train station. Frustrating but that's life. My kingdom for a car with a driver. And a new Chanel purse. And a new nose. But we are lucky that we can still take the bus and tram and that on most days he is an absolute delight. So there's that. And, before I end this post, a big thank you to L.S. for the random e-mail she sent me. She wrote me a really lovely message about how this blog cheers her up and she called me beautiful (an nobody ever has ever truly called me beautiful) so she might have to check her eyes for glaucoma. I care about my readers. It was a lovely thing to read and it totally made my day, so thank you L.S.! I usually get e-mails from princes in Nigeria. Hey... I wonder if they have a car with a driver? I should write them back. Happy Wednesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge