Back in the Great White North

Hard to believe that I am back in Canada! I am in Toronto and it has been 9 long years since I was in this awesome town. This is going to be a short-ish post because a) I'm a little jet-lagged and b) going to go and get me an affordable mani and pedi soon. Woot! Yesterday morning I headed to the Vienna airport (many many tears were shed when I said good bye to the Kid. He just high fived me and turned back to his stories). I told friends at work on Tuesday that I had ordered a car at 8 for my 10:35 flight. She, who shall not be named, S.R. (yes, named you) said "WHAT?!?! THAT'S TOO LATE!" and then I started to hyperventilate because I am one of those people who likes to get to the airport super early. This time I decided to not be so safe and booked my car for 8. Well, I was more than on time, S.R. I even got bored! And, unlike what you said, I did not move up the pick-up time! Ha! Victory is mine!

Sigh. Hollow victory. The Vienna airport is ridiculously efficient. What I will never ever understand is why people dress like Mr. T when they go flying. They show up at security all like "So, I'm going to keep this WWE championship belt on, ok?" UGH! Why do you not know this?!?! I get a little twitchy. I always get a little nervous about who my seatmate is going to be and when I got on the plane, I found out I was seated beside an elderly Canadian gentleman. He thought I didn't speak English so there was no interaction. I may or may not have continued this charade throughout the flight when I talked to the flight attendants in German. Don't judge me! I wanted a quiet flight. I watched Hail Ceasar, 500 Days of Summer (adorable) and Something's Gotta Give (watched it before, still great!). I binged on New Girl and read a little. As we started to land, the pilot told us that our landing would be delayed since there was a plane that needed assistance. I hope by assistance they meant that the plane had been dumped by their douche boyfriend and needed Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream stat. After about 5 minutes of circling the airport, we finally landed. And by the way, Mr. Pilot, next time this sort of thing happens, you don't have to announce it. I don't need to know this. Landing 5 minutes later than planned is not going to set off any panic in me. Telling me that we can't land because a plan needs help, no bueno.

We landed and people clapped and I jumped off the plane and headed to immigration. I was so ready to walk up to an officer and proudly throw down my Canadian passport and say "I'M BACK!" but no, things have changed. Customs now involves a type of self check in for Canadians and Americans. As I stood in line, a woman behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said "OMG! Where did you get your pink laptop bag?! I LOVE IT!" and I laughed and laughed. I knew I was officially back in Canada. Random compliments, I missed you. After I "checked in" to Canada, I walked up with my declaration form and my passport. I handed it to an officer and she looked over it. She asked "You don't live in Canada?" and I got really excited because I was all ready to chat "No, I live in Vienna, Austria..." and I waited for the whole "So what do you do there?" but she just nodded and let me go to baggage claim. Sigh. My luggage came quickly and I headed to the train to take me into town. Now, I am a taxi kind of girl (snob) but I found out that as of last year, Toronto Airport added an express train that goes right downtown. Twelve dollars one way and only taking 25 minutes, DON'T MIND IF I DO! I jumped onto the (air conditioned) train and 25 minutes later, arrived at Union Station. I totally teared up when I walked onto Front Street and saw the Royal York Hotel. I crossed the street and walked up to the hotel. A bellman took my suitcase and directed me to reception. I usually refuse this service but there were stairs and I was tired and treat yoself.

Check in took 2 minutes and I made my way to my room on the 13th floor. It's a nice room and while the view is not the best, I'm happy it's quiet, clean and plush. I put on the Portugal-Wales game and a few minutes later, a bellman showed up with my suitcase. He was chatty and lovely and we even spent a few minutes watching the game together. He warned me not to go down any alleys late at night and I promised him I would do my best not to. My whoring days are far behind me. He was lovely and I thanked him for offering to get me a bottle of wine from the LCBO. I got changed and headed out for walk in the hot summer day. I completely forgot how incredibly busy Toronto is. After so many years of European living, I realize that I am so much slower. There's this crazy pulse to this city that I realize was what got me hooked to it in my teens. Now, as a mom and needing fiber, I am ok with Vienna's slower pace. But boy, did I miss this city. People are so incredibly nice and I have heard the word "sorry" dozens of times. One woman even apologized for walking through the doorway before me. As I walked around, I realized how much this city has changed. The condos are out of control! And most of my favourite places have closed down so that was a little sad. But what hasn't changed is the niceness and the awesome multiculturalism. I missed that. After a 3 hour walk, I picked up some wine and a pizza from Pizza Pizza (tradition) and headed back to the hotel and watched Big Brother and relaxed, falling asleep just after 10. Classay.

This morning I woke up at 4 and dozed off and on until about 7 when my mom called. We chatted for a few minutes and then I put on Breakfast Television and decided to tweet  Kevin Frankish (long time host of the show) that I was back in Toronto after 9 years. He retweeted my tweet with a "WELCOME BACK!" and that literally made my day. Then about 20 minutes later, he was talking to his co-hosts and said "I just got a tweet from a Tova Marr saying she is back in Toronto after 9 years. Let's welcome her back" and the two other hosts said "Welcome back!" and I squealed like a teenage girl! I jumped up and down and clapped and I hope I never stop getting excited about things. What a moment! So now I am watching a show called "Escaping Polygamy" and drinking my Tim Horton's coffee and soon I will head out for my mani and pedi. Soon. Wow, I said this was going to be a short post but obviously I lied: not very Canadian of me. I hope you all have a fabulous day! Greetings, eh!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge