Canada Trip Breakdown Part Deux

I wanted to finish up this post a couple of days ago but the Kid got sick and I wasn't able to. He had a cold and seems to be on the mend. He also is going through some post-separation anxiety... on Wednesday night, he kept bringing me back to the sofa to sit beside him. It was adorable. I am back at work and still fighting a bit of the jet lag but by Monday I should be back to my old self! This past week involved some catch up and errands: Monday afternoon I met a friend for drinks. Tuesday I stayed home with the Kid and then the Nanny came and I went for a walk around town and then met a friend for drinks and dinner. When we met she said "We are not drinking a lot tonight." and I nodded in agreement and then we acted like sailors during fleet week.

But it was a hilarious evening so the pain I felt on Wednesday morning was worth it... kind of. I went for a spray tan in the afternoon (Oompa Loompa) and then met a friend for drinks and to eat myself into a coma. I headed home after purchasing more pots (I am planting shit) and the Kid and I hung out, ordered pizza and after I put him to bed, I watched Back to the Future II. Yes. Amazing! Thursday I was back at work and then the Husband and I met for a quick drink at a neat little craft beer place around the corner called Fassldippler. We headed home, I made a salad (I know, I don't know what is wrong with me) and grilled halloumi with ciabatta. I have decided to avoid packaged food for a while and make good and (somewhat) healthy meals. We will see how long this lasts. The Kid was of course overjoyed to see us... and by that I mean he looked up and nodded at us when we walked in. Friday I went to work and then in the afternoon, stopped by to see my friends K.P. and D.P. who just had twin girls. Oh newborns!! My heart! Itty bitty babies who I held and snuggled and tried to fit one into my purse. Since having the Kid, babies are like crack to me and that is a terrible sentence. Of course I get a little bit broody but then I realize that I can still bend over and pick up shit unlike when I was pregnant. It was lovely to see the little girls! I headed home and made spaghetti carbonara, watched some TV with the Husband and cried about the attack in Munich. The world has gone mad. So after that long introduction, here is part deux of my Canadian trip!

I arrived Sunday afternoon in our nation's capital on a train. Very Mr. Smith goes to Washington... I think.. but I never saw it but I have a thing for Jimmy Stewart. So hoooootttt. Anyway, I stepped off the train and was greeted by my mom and dad and my sister and her husband and their son and daughter (her other daughter was at sailing camp). It was lovely to see my fam after such a long time. My parents loaded me up in their car: no booster seat for this gal, and we made our way to their new house. When I say house, I mean ESTATE. It's like something from Dallas. I kept expecting J.R. to come around the corner and say "I know who shot me!" Bless.

It is on the Ottawa river and the garden is the stuff of dreams. A gazebo at the end of the property is a perfect place to drink the alcohol and enjoy the breeze. The house is lovely and there is a MOTHERLOVIN POOL! I was smitten. We ate dinner, drank wine and sat around the table that doubles as a fire pit. Glad I didn't wear hairpray that night. I woke up ridiculously early and decided to check out the neighbourhood. The houses are all so unique and gorgeous and it is like being in cottage country. I spied a red cardinal and thought "Oh! Hello little bird!" and then saw a squirrel frolicking in a front yard and thought "Oh! Hello little squirrel!". I walked along the shore and saw ducks and geese and thought "Oh! Hello birds!" and then as I walked down another road, I spied a fox cross in front of me and thought "Oh! Fox! Maybe I should head back slowly." and I turned back to the house and saw what I thought was a bear and in my head said "Oh HELL NO!"  and let me just say that I ran like the wind.

By the way, it wasn't a bear. It was a garbage bag. I would be the first one voted off the island. I spent a relaxing day at the house, swam a little and hung out with my sister and niece and nephew and my parents. The next day was much of the same and my sister and her two kids came by again and a Facebook friend, A.W. who has known my mom forever was in town and stopped by. The world is small! It was a lovely summer afternoon and I was actually quite happy to not do a bazillion things which I usually do all.the.freaking.time. My mom and I watched America's Got Talent that night and she is in love with Howie Mandel and I get it. I, however, have a soft spot for Simon Cowell but I think that's because he is rich and a bit of a jerk. My celebrity crushes are usually jerky guys while in real life, I hate jerky guys so I wonder what that means... Analyze that! Wednesday afternoon my friend G.G. (who lives in Vienna and was in Ottawa at the same time) came by with her friend D.M. for some swimming. We drank wine, talked and acted like we were part of the cast of 90210: the Later Years. Around 4:30, we jumped into D.M.'s car and he drove us into town. Lack of public transportation kills me! We met with G.G. and D.M.'s friends at the James Street Pub. It was great to meet them and we had a long long discussion about the song "Blinded by the Light" A few of us believed that the chorus was "Blinded by the light! Wrapped up like a douche in the middle of the night." which by all accounts, makes sense. But, after some good old fashioned Googling, turns out that it was written by Bruce Springsteen using a rhyming dictionary... I shit you not...that's a thought. Hey, I'm a songwriter! So there's a little interesting music trivia for you and no, the word "douche" is actually "deuce". Whoops!

I looked over the menu and saw "Corn dog" and mulled it over. I said to the table "I have never ever had a corn dog. Should I order one?" and the reaction was the same as if someone were to ask "Should I use protection with this woman who is 25 years younger than I am and I just told her that I am a millionaire?" So I ordered it. And I was sadly disappointed. It was a hot dog bathed in beer batter but it was too greasy (I know, I feel like I might have hit my head) and now I am sad. Maybe one day I will have a corn dog that fulfills me. One day. At 9:30 I bade farewell and waited for my dad to pick me up. Fastest way to feel young again, my friends! Twas a fun night.

The next day my mom made fabulous Dim Sum for an early lunch and then midday, my dad drove me downtown and I checked out the Rideau Center. You have changed strange mall, you have changed. I bought an adult onesie because I'm married and I don't have to look hot in the winter. I walked to my sister's place in the afternoon and helped out by babysitting her awesome kids for a couple of hours. They are truly lovely kids and I had a great time hanging out with them. My sister came home with a babysitter (I think that had been pre-arranged unless you pick up babysitters like groceries in Ottawa) and we went out for drinks and dinner and had a really great time catching up and talking. One of the biggest downsides of living in Vienna is being so far from my family and it hit me hard while I was visiting. We had a really fun night and we walked back home at a reasonable hour.

I was supposed to meet an old friend from Vienna, B.Q. We met back in the 90's and she now lives in Ottawa. Unfortunately we couldn't meet up but hopefully next time I am in town we will make a date. And this is a shout out to her sister C.B. who apparently reads my blog! Awesome! Thank you for reading, C.B.! My mom's birthday was the next day so we picked up some food and a cake (Salted chocolate caramel cake, you are the best cake of them all) and then went over to my parents' place. My brother was there with his girlfriend and it was great to see him again! We did a little swimming and talked and then my sister came back with her third child and her husband and we ate a great dinner she had prepared, sang Happy Birthday to my mom and it was just great! My sister and her family headed home and then my brother and his girlfriend and I were driven to the main street of the village of Aylmer which actually looks like the set of Gilmore Girls. The three of us ordered beer at the British Pub (in Quebec) and talked and drank and again I was sad to not be able to do this more often.

I was up at 5 the next morning because I had to catch a train back to Toronto for my flight. I said an emotional good bye to my mom and my dad drove me and picked up my sister and one of her daughters who was heading to camp on the same day. We arrived at the train station and I said good bye to my dad and more tears. The three of us boarded the train and ate bagels and enjoyed the countryside view. At Belleville my niece got off and was greeted by her grandparents. I cried. She's awesome. My sister and I arrived in Toronto just after 11 and I stored my suitcase and we decided to go to Springrolls which is where we used to go back in da day. I stupidly ordered the All you Can Eat. Not stupid because the food was awesome but stupid because I felt like I was going to pop the rest of the afternoon. My sister and I walked around and then we said good bye and surprise, I cried. I caught the train and made my way to Pearson airport where I walked around for a good half hour with my dress buttons open. I had no idea that I had flashed half the airport and I wanted to hide in the bathroom and curl up into fetal position, but alas, it was time to board. The plane took off and I saw the CN Tower in the distance. Adieu Canada! I love you. And I will be back hopefully soon. It was wonderful to see my family and to be surrounded by kind hearted people and to be able to speak the language like the native I am. It was a bitter sweet trip because I know how much more help we would get for the Kid in Canada. But that is why I have to step up and make the changes here for a better future for the Kid and for others with autism. It is go-time and I have a lot to do for the Beacon Beach House. I am excited to continue the process and I cannot wait to take the next step. Today is sadly the 2 year anniversary since my dear friend D.K's husband passed. She is one of the strongest people I know and I am honoured to call her my friend. Tonight I will raise a glass in your memory C.K. You were loved.

I wish you all a great day and hug your loved ones because you never know what life will throw you next.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge