A Ghost and a Socialite Weekend

This weekend has been wild. I've been a poor man's socialite or rather a reasonable man's chubby Paris Hilton. I've been out BOTH nights which is breaking my personal going out rule but once in a while a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.

On Friday was the start of our therapy sessions for the Kid. Will write about that another time. It did not go great and I am getting frustrated. Rawr. That's right Katy Perry, sing it. Anyway, after work I ran home and placed gifts into gift bags, added more eyeliner (I prefer to not look slutty at work) and then headed to Shanghai Tan. I've mentioned the place before and I was super pumped to get an opp. to head there again. I'm making "opp." a thing. Like "fetch".

Of course I was the first one there and I looked like an idiot for 15 minutes while I sat at a table for 15 by  myself. You want to look unpopular? Do what I did. Come early to a dinner party. To look less like a social pariah, I took out my phone and checked the Interwebs (because the minute I am off it something huge happens. (Case in point; election of popes, Kate Middleton exiting the hospital in a blue smock as an homage to Diana, the Jonas Brothers breaking up...). Now, the problem with checking my phone is that when you are in a very dark restaurant, looking at your phone turns into a prison spotlight. You are no longer sitting at a table by yourself in a dark room, no, now you are on display and because you hold your phone like it's a menu, double chins and creepy campfire ghost story teller face happens and then you really look like nobody is coming to the dinner and you just got stood up by 14 people. BOOM! Middle school angst a-rising.
Just checking mah Facebook
A few minutes later people started to arrive and the two birthday girls looked lovely and it was nice to have a dinner out with fun people and to catch up. The food was good and the wine and prosecco flowed and then we headed to a bar where I had a couple more glasses of prosecco. I hit that all-important line that will define the rest of your evening. It's that line where you feel good but kind of tired. You have two choices, a choose your own adventure if you will. You could be responsible and say "Heading home! Thanks y'all" orrr you decide "Screw it, yolo!" and then order a drink and not even care you used the term "yolo" and then suddenly it's 2 a.m. and you are crawling into your apartment with scuffed stillettos and looking like Alice Cooper. I did not choose the latter adventure. I was home by 11:30, very smug at my self control.

So that was Friday night. Saturday was laundry and shopping for decorations for the Kid's party in a couple of weeks. Then we got ready for a friend's premiere of a short film he wrote and directed. Usually when we have the Nanny babysit during the week (after her regular hours), we don't have to worry about the Kid freaking out that we are leaving. Last night was the first time in a very very long time since we've been home and have had to leave. I wimped out and left 15 minutes early because I knew I would be an absolute wreck seeing his Oscar worthy performance; Toddler in Distress.

The Husband met me at a Bagel place near the theatre and apparently the exit did not go "well". (Later we found out that the minute the door closed, the Kid stopped crying, shrugged and headed into the living room to play with his toys. Of course). We ate quickly and then headed to the theatre. We got good seats and watched the film and it was great! There is nothing awesomer (it's a word) to see someone go for their dream and work hard to a goal. It's inspiring! So well done, friend! You did a great job!

Now, as mentioned last night, we have a ghost. For the past few years wierd things have been happening in our place. Friendly things like, drawers are open for no reason, or pillows fall off the sofa when no one is around. Sometimes I'll be looking for things and they suddenly appear if I say the object I am looking for out loud. It's an organized and helpful spirit and I like to thing of this spirit as more of a personal assistant. The Husband of course thinks I am nuts. Well, I have a witness now. Our Nanny. When we got home last night, she was super jumpy and told us that after the Husband left, she locked the front door. After the Kid went to bed, she unlocked the door. After an hour or so, she felt wierd and then saw a shadow in the hallway. She got up and checked and suddenly saw that our front door was open. Holy shitballs. We have a ghost. Or we have a psychopath who has a copy of our keys. Fantastic. Great choice. I think I'll stick with the ghost. So I made the Husband check in the closet and under the bed for Jason or Casper and then I felt better. A little freaked, but better. I'll be burning the Sage today.
Honey, go check the bedroom Thaaaaaanks!
Even this fucker would terrify the crap out of me. Excuse my language.

It's a chilly Sunday morning and I am meeting a friend for brunch. I haven't brunched since brunching first came to Europe so I am excited. It will be great to catch up and end my socialite weekend with a mimosa! Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge