The Cult of Bethenny Frankel

In this blog I have pretty much only mentioned the West Coast Housewife franchise but there is one former housewife I have not talked about. Bethenny Frankel. Bethenny became a household name through the Real Housewives of New York and has created (and sold for gazillions) the Skinny Girl Margarita, written a few books, starred in her own reality show and has recently started a talk show. I want her life save for the reality tv show since it would most likely be me yelling about skid marks and staring at people's moles. I ain't so interesting long term.

What I like about Bethenny is her humour and honesty and the fact that she has followed a long and gruelling path to get where she is today. I like to think that one day I too will "make it" and by "make it" I mean I can have a terrace and a hot tub and invite friends over for drinks but we'll avoid the hot tub if they bring their spouses because that is icky and one step closer to swinging.


I have read a couple of Bethenny's books and I do recommend them if you are looking for a humorous somewhat self help book. The first one I read was Naturally Thin. This book has polarized some people but as a whole it is filled with some common sense about food. Since re-reading it I have noticed recently that my eating habits are improving. Just yesterday I suggested to the Husband that we should split a main course for lunch. He asked me if I was having an affair. I don't share food with him. I am territorial when we go out for a meal. In fact, one of our biggest fights was about 9 years ago when on my birthday he suggested we share a small salad. Needless to say, I downed a couple of glasses of wine, stormed out of the restaurant and picked up a large cheese pizza on the way home which I ate in a corner while glaring at him. Again, he is a saint.

Another book I read recently is called A Place of Yes. I liked this book and it sums up a lot that I am trying to do in my life. Operation Tubetop is not solely about vanity but also my opportunity to eat well and learn portion control. I could easily go back to la la diet land but things are different now that I have a son. I want to break the chain (which is Rule Number 1 in the book) and have him have a healthy relationship with food.


I'm still not perfect but these books were fun to read and available on Kindle. I will never forget when Bethenny Frankel mentioned in one of her shows that she "made it at 40". I am taking that to heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge