Merry Christmas and Almost Happy New Year

Well hello everybody! I hope you all had an amazing Christmas! I definitely did but if you heard wailing coming from the 4th district this morning, that was me, getting on the scale. I don't really beat myself up for putting weight on over Christmas but I seem to treat Christmas eating as an Olympic sport... and yes, the games last over 2 weeks. As of yesterday, I am back to the grind in terms of working out and I am definitely not throwing my face into a bag of chocolate or melting cheese on everything... right now. I figured I had my time of nutso eating and now I need to focus on making better life choices. Also, in exactly a month I will be heading to the Science Ball and I do not want to look like I ate me in the pictures. Speaking of the ball, my dress arrived and it does seem to fit but I would like it to make me look fit so there's a goal. Or I think about Spanx... full body Spanx.

Christmas was definitely lovely this year. On the 21st was my last day of work. The plan was to meet the Husband at Rathausplatz to buy ornaments. When I was about to leave the office, I noticed it was pissing rain and I texted him and wrote "We could just meet at a pub and drink and then get the ornaments the next day." and he was like "No, let's do it now." and yes, I did act like a brat once I showed up because my feet were soaking wet and well, my feet were soaking wet. We stopped for a gluehwein and then looked at ornaments. I made a quick decision and I stared at the Husband passively aggressively to hurry up. After our purchases, we headed to Molly Darcys and I had wine and he had tea for the first time in his entire life. He had to warm up because he was meeting colleagues at the Belvedere Christmas Market and he also was soaked through. He left after about 30 minutes and I read on my phone, had another glass of wine and then headed back out into the rain. I met my friend L.G. for dinner at Cantinetta La Norma. It was lovely and cozy and we exchanged gifts. I bought her an "SSDGM" necklace and she bought me a Swarovski pen that was so on my list. We caught up and laughed and ate and then it was time to head home.  On the 22nd I had the day off so I spent the morning napping and then I headed out for a little shopping, ate lunch at Craftwines and then headed to Schrei and Söhne for "a" drink. I stayed a teeny tiny bit longer than I should have but I got home by 6:45 so the evening was not lost. I ended up watching Christmas Vacation and doing some last minute wrapping and it was a great start to the holiday: blotto.

On the 23rd I woke up early and did some grocery shopping. My friend D.K. and her friend were coming over for dinner and I also had to shop for the 3 days the grocery stores would be closed. This is Vienna apocalypse time. BUY ALL THE THINGS! For dinner I made beef wellington, yorkshire pudding (those were an effing disaster), green beans with hollandaise and potatoes au gratin... ALL THE CARBS! For dessert was Austrian cookies and Esterhazy Torte. D.K. and her friend S showed up at 7:30 and the Kid ignored them. At 8 it was time to put him to bed and he stayed in bed for about 10 minutes. As I was finishing the food in the kitchen, apparently he ran into the living room and when the Husband told him to go back to bed, he jumped onto my friend D.K.'s lap. He knows how to save himself. Not his first rodeo. We decided to let him stay up and then he got grumpier as we ate so again the Husband decided to bring him to bed and he had a right old conniption. As the Husband carried him out, he grabbed onto the door frames and then of course me. We gave up and let him sit on the sofa. Little bugger. My friend's friend S said "Like getting a cat into a carrier." and he could not have been more correct. It was a lovely evening and we had such a great time... and then the Kid didn't go to bed until 11:30. Fun. Fun. The next day was Christmas Eve and since it was Sunday, there wasn't much to do but make pancakes. Around 3:30 we called a taxi and then headed to the In Laws. We had an early dinner, opened great presents and then by 6, the Kid was ready to head home. The Husband stayed a little longer and the Kid and I took a taxi back which is something we share a love of. I put him to bed, drank eggnog and watched Home Alone 2... again.

Christmas day I made German Oven pancakes which is a tradition in my family. Then we opened presents and I got awesome gifts! Yaay! Gifts! My love language. The Husband bought me an awesome dress from Kingpin and several bras because I need to stop wearing my utilitarian lunch lady bra. Be an adult, Tova. I also got a glass engraving kit which I am looking forward to trying out. I could even etch lightly threatening messages onto the bathroom mirror.... I bought the Husband an Alexa and it is kind of like having another woman in the house. I think he's nicer to her though... she doesn't talk back. In the afternoon I took the Kid on a walk and the Husband met his sister for a drink and then I had a quick Skype date with my dad and brother. Then it was time for cheese fondue and I don't think I can feel the right side of my body no mo. It was a really lovely Christmas and just how it needed to be. The Kid liked only one of his presents and couldn't really be assed to open anything but he was a champ and he was giggly and happy so that makes a pretty perfect day in my opinion. As we headed to bed, I also vowed to try and move more the next day. And I did. I went to hot yoga and died a little. Ugh. It was a tough class but it felt great. And I think I sweated out most of the cheese. Hurrah! In the afternoon my friend G.G. wrote and asked if I was up for a quick drink and realizing that I was on the edge of cabin fever I said "yes" quickly. We met at Bierometer and chatted and drank wine and it was really really lovely.

This morning I decided to go for a run and it wasn't great. My shins hurt because I didn't warm up before so I will have to get another workout in this evening. I also headed to Mariahilferstrasse to get the Kid a new night light. He has suddenly decided he doesn't want to sleep in his bed so hopefully this new light will please him. God please. The rest of the day has been pretty low key and after my workout, I am going to make tofu banh mi sandwiches because I can't look at cheese for a few more days. On Friday a couple of friends who are in town will be coming by for a drink and then we will head out for dinner. Otherwise not much else is up save for maybe a drink here and there with friends. God I needed this down time. And what's in store Podcast-wise? I will posting a New Year's Day one on the 1st where I will talk about the past year as well as my resolutions for 2018. On the 4th I will post the interview I did with one of the co-founders of Super Cycle and I can't wait for that! Otherwise, stay tuned for what can only be more amazingness because I want to believe that 2018 is going to be amazing! Toodles!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge