The Kid's First Day

I'm trying to keep it together. I barely slept last night. I ended up listening to podcasts until about midnight, then woke up at 4 in a sweat. I slept another couple of hours and then sobbed from 6 to 8:30. I was careful that the Kid wouldn't see his very own Miss Havisham as I hid in the corners wearing a veil. Dramatic? Moi? A tad.

At 8:30 we called a taxi and like a boss, he climbed into the sleek Mercedes because he is my kid. We showed up just before 9 and we walked shakily up the steps and found his classroom. I clutched his Tüte and we walked in. He took a seat immediately and we introduced ourselves. There will be a total of 6 kids with various disabilities and 2 teachers. They seem nice enough but I am not sure how he will do there. I am actually keeping my expectations very very low so that if things go well. I can be pleasantly surprised. Which is usually the polar opposite of what I usually do. But there's been too much heartbreak recently so this is what we call self-preservation, kids. The Kid wandered around a little and looked out the windows and the whole thing lasted about 15 minutes. One little girl seemed a little smitten by him so there's that. Player. My boy!

Dressed in all black, I kept my cool and looked like death because I will be damned if this is a good day. No, to be honest, it went well and the Kid was an angel. The big issue will be tomorrow morning when the bus picks him up at 6:40 and he has to be there without his mommy. I am not above body cams or else I will be acting out that scene in Terminator 2, grasping the car. Again, if you haven't figured it out, I smother. This will be the first time he will be in a vehicle without either me or the Husband and I am going to be purchasing fine chocolates for the bus driver. I briefly thought about bribing him with a bottle of scotch but that is what we call enabling. A million fingers crossed he rocks it, but again, keeping my expectations low.

I am off until Thursday so this afternoon, after the Nanny comes, I will head to a bakery that just opened up. The owner reached out to Autism in Vienna and we are going to talk about a collaboration which is absolutely awesome. Then I will meet my dear friend D.K. for a drink at Cafe Gitarre and tonight, I will probably get a run in because I need to burn off this nervous energy. Tomorrow, after the bus picks him up, I will sit on the sofa and rock back and forth and then at 11:50, the bus will be dropping him off at home. I will be outside at 11, rocking back and forth. The rest of the week will be the 6:40 pick up but drop off will be at 12:50. As of next week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday he will be dropped off around 4:30. Tuesday and Thursday: 12;50. It is going to be a rough time but I will get through it with the help of my friends... and wine.

On Tuesday I hope to get a podcast in. You can check out the awesome one I did with Craftwines last week on the Operation Tubetop Facebook page. You can learn all about the new rules of wine and stuff! It was a blast. Not sure what I will talk about on Tuesday but if you have a suggestion, let me know. On Wednesday I am going out with a friend I haven't seen in forever and then on Thursday is the American Women's Association wine night at Weinplateau. Going to be an emotional week but I will keep it together until I can fall apart on Sunday, on the sofa. I hope you and your kids had an awesome first day! And if you don't have kids, hope you enjoy the Fall weather and not having kids! Have a great Monday and toodles!

Comments

  1. We can do a mini Fall apart in the safety of Volkmar's bar Thursday night... Surrounded by friends and wine! 🍷 ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge