Back to My Old Self

Sup? Hello, Wednesday! Well, apologies for not writing for a few days. The last post was full on sad so this post won't be. I had a rough couple of days feeling ill and then I had a little pity party. I absolutely loathe self pity for myself. Everyone is allowed to feel sorry for themselves once in a while but I just don't enjoy it one bit. No I do not. And I feel like I need a fainting couch and a gauzey dress to fully be able to enjoy in the melancholy. So no more pity parties for a while. Time to pull up my bra straps and get to work. So what's new? Not much save for the fact that I went out last night with a friend and Office Twin and today I am feeling a tad delicate. This happens every time we go out and my one friend always says at the start of the evening "I cannot drink too much tonight." and I always say "No, no we won't" and the next thing you know, 5 hours have passed and our lips are stained purple. What is wrong with us?!? I think next time she should say "I want to get so blotto that I end up texting ex-boyfriends from kindergarten and I use my underwear as a hat." and then we will end up calling it a night after a lovely dinner and only a couple of glasses of wine.

It's like we dare each other or something. The only adult at the table was of course Office Twin who we troll all.the.time. I still can't forget the time when my friend and I pretended to have 8 Altoids in our mouths and then walked into Office Twin's office and convinced him to do the same. Hahahaha! He cried. We are the worst. We are mothers. What is wrong with us?!? But the night was an absolute blast and our waiter was definitely amused by us. That's my story and I am sticking to it. We went to dinner at Da Capo which is kind of our place now. I love the outside seating: it's surrounded by Japanese maples and olive trees in pots. It's relaxed, it's gorgeous, it's so Vienna, it's quiet... well, save for the table of 2 hyenas (us). We ate pizza and gave our leftovers to Office Twin. The waiter kept pouring the wine and we laughed and laughed. By 10 it was time to head home and I decided to take advantage of the incredibly weather and walk all the way back. That's what I adore about summer in Vienna: the night walks. I also get to look up into the lit up windows and look at amazing chandeliers, wooden ceilings, frescos and once in a while a topless person and no, not a good thing.

Last week I went out a couple of times and really had a blast. I didn't get to write about them because I was in my malaise so I will do that now. On Monday, after work, I met my friend L.G. at Le Troquet. This is on Kirchengasse and is a French bar. Now, it's not the twee, quaint, oui oui, type French bar. It's like a bar you would find in France and tourists would be like "Yeah, no thanks." I do like this place but I want to just let people know that this is not a themed French place with trays of macarons. I met my friend at 5:30 and we ordered spritzers and bread and hummus. We caught up and drank and laughed and watched the crazy monsoon outside drive people back inside. We stayed until about 10 and then we said good night and I headed home. She is off in Italy now and I am so jealous. I miss Italy. I want to be in Italy. Are you thinking about me, Italy? It was a lovely night. The next day I had to be at work early and then in the afternoon, I was meeting a friend who was back in town. We met at Cafe Englaender and I ordered a chicken salad and a spritzer and we talked for a couple of hours. I have written about Cafe Englaender before but it is totally a Vienna tip. It's known for being a journalist hang out and I have to say that the food is pretty epic. Get the schnitzel. After our catch up, we headed to the Ring to meet some other friends. My friend had booked a table at Just Taste and I had never heard of this magical place. It's a wine shop and wine bar. It's like Wein and Co.'s trendier little sister. It has a huge selection of neato wines and some good food and the outside seating is lovely: Just across from MUMOK. Yes, I was impressed. We drank bubbly rose and someone ordered a plate of meat. There was a lot of meat. I stayed for a couple of hours and then had to go home and then go for a run. I run so much better after wine. It's nuts. And it's fun. Don't judge me.

Wednesday was a quiet and normal day and then Thursday, the exhaustion hit. I was in bed by 9 and completely wiped out. I headed to work on Friday and then in the afternoon, stopped by Craft Wines to try a couple of white wines and purchase a red wine because we were having friends over for dinner. The theme was Tex Mex so I also had to make margaritas that knocks the hair off of your eyebrows. Good times. Our friends S and S came over around 7:30 and we started with cocktails and then sat down at the table. I had made a salad, put out chips and guac and for the main dish, a type of fajita dish. It's super simple: crockpot (I love you), cream cheese, salsa, cut up chicken breast. Cook over the day, then serve with tortillas. AHMAZING! We ate and talked and drank and the Kid was overjoyed to have them over. He loves those two guys and at one point, he just sat on the sofa and stared at us as we ate dinner. I like to think that he was enjoying the ambiance but maybe he was hungry... hmm. Good parenting, Tova. It was way past the Kid's bedtime and he did not want to leave the party. When the Husband tried to bring him to his room, he came right back out. So the four of us walked him back to his room and that seemed to do the trick. I think he thought we were moving the party to his bedside. Sorry Kiddo. Nighty night.

S and S stayed a couple more hours and we had an amazing time laughing and talking. It was late and they headed home and we promised to do this again when they are back in town. The Husband and I cleaned up and I said to him "Now I can officially physically break down. Sorry. Going to bed." Where I ended up staying for most of Saturday. I already wrote about that in the last blog post so I won't repeat it.... but safe to say, I probably needed that. I am feeling a lot better this week. My energy is coming back and I am not feeling so down. On Monday, I met a friend at Naschmarkt for a quick drink at Doan and to catch up after not seeing her for ages and then I ran back home to let the Nanny go home. The Kid and I hung out and he seemed very very tired from his first day of intense therapy. Happy, but tired. Yesterday was the night at Da Capo and today will be a quiet night at home. I hope to get some writing done and some TV watching done and maybe some yoga. It will be an early night because tomorrow will be another early start to the workday. In the afternoon I am meeting a friend of a friend at Cafe Francais and then afterwards, I am heading to the Beaver Brewing Company for a Vienna Expat meet and greet. This can only end well. The rest of the week will be spent mainly at home: I hope to get another chapter written for my book. I am also going to a friend's son's birthday party on Saturday for a little while. But other than that, the weekend is wide open, baby! Wide open for me to get ready for SHARK WEEK! Yes, I cannot wait. So, yes, long story short, I am back to my cray cray self. I am feeling so much better and my schedule is back to manic. I want to say thank you for all of the wonderful support and for the love on Sunday. It was much needed. It takes a village to raise a Tova. Thanks again! Have a super Wednesday and toodles!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge