Well Hi There Friday and a Little History Lesson

This felt like an incredibly long week. I have been battling a cold so I guess I have been feeling worn out ergo feeling like it has been a long week. The Kid was off from Monday-Thursday (he too had a cold) and today he went back. I am sure it was a bit of a shock to his system to have to wear pants and actually follow rules. This afternoon he has a 2 hour session with two therapists and fingers crossed it goes well. After work I am stopping for a quick gluehwein at Karlsplatz Christmas market (my first of the season!) and then heading home to make dinner and wear pyjamas and try and not freak out about tomorrow... because tomorrow is the big movie theater afternoon event thing! Dun dun duuuunnnnn.

I am sure it will be great and I hope there is an awesome turnout and is it too early to start drinking? Besides the big event, it will be a pretty quiet weekend. I hope to be able to do some crafts, watch a Hallmark film so that I can rip it apart in my blog and of course, stare at our pretty pretty Christmas tree. I can't believe we are in December already and my calendar is cray cray but hooray! I will definitely need some downtime over the Christmas break.. or dialysis. Whatever. Anyway, about last night... And that sounds like I am about to go into an epic story. Actually, I didn't embarrass myself as much as usual.. must have been this kerblasted cold. Oh well, there is still next week when I have an important meeting with a very very important person (it was postponed so stay tuned for that!)

Last night I attended a reception at the Canadian ambassador's residence. I love this house and have fond memories of Christmas parties there as a teenager. I remember one party in particular because I wore my most perfect Cher from Clueless inspired outfit and I totally wish I could still wear it. It was a burgundy shiny cropped long-sleeved fuzzy sweater (I know, right?!?!), paired with a mini velvet wrap skirt. I wore dark tights and thick high heeled loafers and I was about as awesome as could be. And I had dark red hair. Awesome. Anyway, about the house... it is spectacular and whimsical and comfortable and just an incredible mix of styles. It isn't the grandest of official residences (I AM A SNOB, I KNOW! STAHP JUDGING ME!) but there is something about this house built in 1925 that just draws me in. It is a mixture of English country house, surrealism, neo-gothicism (I think I made that word up) and with surprising Asian influences. There is a lot of wood and my favourite is the wooden carved ceiling in the den with a carved stone fireplace (I didn't study architecture so I don't know real terms, ok?). This is a room to sit in, drink sherry and read Jackie Collins... or Gogol whatever. So I did a little research (yes, I sometimes look up smart stuff, not just celebrity gossip) and found out that it was designed by the famous Viennese architect Sobotka for a chemist named Dr. Emmerich Granichstaedten who had come into a lot of money for being involved with the patent of fats being made into margarine or something like that. Dr. Granichstaedten was of Jewish background who moved to England in 1938 (I have no idea why), signing the house over to his wife and then losing it in the divorce (ouch). Apparently Dr. G rarely returned to Vienna after moving abroad (I have no idea why). Now I totally want to know more and maybe I will do some more research and it will turn out that Dr. G's grandson has another similar house in Vienna and he will be all like "this place is too big for me and why don't you take it off my hands and by the way, here is 250,000 euros for your center and my God you are beautiful!" Yup, could happen.

Anyway, it was a lovely reception and I got to chat to a few people. I was pretty well-behaved until I wasn't for a minute. I was talking to someone with a really good job and we were talking about the recent (disappointing) snowfall and I blurted out something like "Calm your tits! It wasn't that much snow." and then I wanted to die. I also bumped into someone I met a few months ago. She told me that I reminded her of a friend she knows and I blurted out "Oh please tell me she's hot!" and she looked at me for a second in confusion and I continued "Because when somebody says I remind them of someone, I have this feeling they are going to pull out a picture of Jabba the Hut and say 'THE RESEMBLANCE IS UNCANNY!'" and then she laughed. She said "No, it's your eyes. They seem to sparkle when you talk and it is lovely." and because I can't take a compliment I said "That's the wine." Ugh. But it was an awesome thing to hear. Totally think it was the wine, though. The food at the reception was amahzing and unfortunately the Nanny was only staying until 9 so it was a short reception. Again, I love that house. LOVE IT. I slept fairly well last night so at least today I feel like I am getting back on track. I haven't gone for a run in a week because I can't breathe much but hopefully by Sunday I will be able to take a little jog and not die. So I hope you all have a fantastic weekend! Happy Friday! And hopefully I can share with you all another Hallmark movie re-cap soon! Toodles! And before I forget, yay, DECEMBER!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge