Tova's Life Rules

I've done a lot of growing up this past year. Sure, having a kid about 3 and a half years ago was a bit of an adult insta pack but it really wasn't until last Thanksgiving that I realized it was time to make some changes in my life. Nothing over the top, mind you. I still continue to lose that same kerblasted 20 pounds. But I have definitely grown in certain aspects of my life and I have come up with some life rules that I try to live by. They have made me a happier person... for the most part. I also reserve the right to change and edit them at anytime. So here we go, Tova's Life Rules:


1. Success takes a lot of work. Nobody is an overnight success from luck alone. Any and every person who has enjoyed some modicum of success has worked their tuckus off for it As much as I want to punch myself in the throat and mourn society as a whole for liking these people, I have come to the conclusion that as soul-sucking as the Kardashian Klan is, they do work hard. Sure, it may seem that they just show up for photo shoots, are oiled up and placed in couture but based on the most recent Kim Kardashian photos to hit the Interwebz, you can't help but acknowledge the excruciating wax job she had to have had. No pain, no gain. Anyway, all I'm saying is that if you want to be successful, you have to work hard each and everyday.


2. Be nice. I've talked about this before but it is a very important thing. Be nice! People will remember kindness and sure, there will always be people who don't like you but you can try and prevent more people not liking you by being a good person. Ask people questions when you meet them. Show an interest in their lives. And compliment people once in a while. It won't hurt. In fact, what you give out will come back to you.


3. Don't dye shit in your tub.


4. Stop being a people pleaser and try and please yourself. But still be nice. Very important.


5. Be on time. For the love of God! This should not be so hard. When you are perpetually late, you are sending a message that the other person's time is not as valuable as your own. It's not nice.


6. Realize that life is not black and white. There is a lot of gray.

NOT THESE GRAYS!

7. Go ahead and judge people. That's human nature. Nobody's a saint. But do not judge people for their economic status, lack or choice of education, or physical traits. Judge them for bad life choices instead.


8. Show gratitude. Do IT! Be grateful for what you have. Even if you just take a few minutes a day to be grateful for the things in your life, you will be a much more content person. Also, if someone helps you out, tell that person "thank you". BE GRATEFUL!


9. Nobody can make you feel bad about yourself. It happens. I can get hurt by actions and comments but most of the time, it is just playing on my own personal insecurities. Rise above it. Only you can hurt you. Sidenote: just this week I was hurt by a comment/situation that seemed to question my intelligence and capabilities. I went home and blubbered to the Husband "Do you think I am dumb?" to which he answered "Of course not dear. Take off your top." Boy, was there yelling.


10. Jealousy and thoughts of revenge will get you nowhere. Get the motivation from within. It is only natural to feel jealous of others. Especially when we live in the digital age and everybody self-edits. But I can assure you that you are only seeing a small part of their lives. Everybody has a dip-french-fries-in-a-chocolate-shake day. Also, revenge might be sweet for a moment or two, and might even help you fall asleep at night, but eventually that will wear off. Do it for yourself. Currently retiring my "blacklist" of names. It is so hard. But it is possible. Lucky you, cashier lady at Spar Gourmet.


11. Only use the terms "slut" and "whore" ironically. No woman should be slut shamed ever. It doesn't matter what she is wearing. If you must know, I am wearing flannel pj's, a fake fur hat and the Husband's army socks and I am rocking the look.


12. Push yourself to do something that initially makes you uncomfortable. This year I was pushed into Bikram and I ended up loving it (miss it, need to start going again), into Pilates (I don't like group activities) and started learning French again. All of these involve other people seeing me at my worst and it is actually kind of liberating. And yes, I am still uncomfortable in all of the above situations but I am definitely a little bit proud of myself for giving them the old college try. Need to come up with something for 2015. Talk to me, give me some ideas for next year. I will not do anything that requires a bikini wax, however.



So those are pretty much my life rules for now. I have so many more. And so many I end up ignoring. But the 12 above are pretty much my go-to rules for life. This has been a growing year and I hope I can keep developing. And maybe, just maybe, lose those damn 20 pounds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge