So About That Saturday

Well hello everybody! Apologies for not writing sooner. I was busy, so very busy. Which means I was being fabulous.. in my own mind. Saturday was incredibly busy. At 1 I had an editorial meeting at Burg 24 which is amazing by the way. If I were a student and cool, this would totally be the place to spend my angsty Saturdays. It is an eclectic mix of, well, everything. I met the Vienna Würstelstand team for an editorial meeting (because I don't get tired of writing that, ever). I have a couple of articles to write the next couple of weeks so I need to get on it.

After the meeting, I headed home and then got dressed for the party I had been invited to a while back. It was a joint bday and Office Twin's presence had also been requested (the guy is getting popular). I headed out to the Dry Bar (my new guilty pleasure) and whipped out a picture of Sofia Loren in all her 1960s glory. They did the best they could do with me and I walked out with fabulous make up and big hair. I went to friends' for dinner where I ate an amazing curry and my hand was held as I rethought my bangs. At about 8, I headed to the partay. All I knew was that it was in the 8th on Langegasse at an Osteria. I took a taxi because... fabulous! When I pulled up, one of the birthday girls was already outside. I passed her her bday gift. She took out the Yankee candle and of course it fell apart and broke on the pavement. Mazel Tov! We entered the restaurant and she apologized for not telling me that parties in Austria usually start 2 hours after the actual time to which I responded with "Not on my watch." We walked through the small restaurant and headed down the stairs. We walked through a door and HOLY LITTLE NIGHT CLUB! I secured a seat at the bar and ordered a spritzer because I knew it was going to be a long night.

At one point birthday girl introduced me to a friend of hers. We chatted and I did the North American European faux pas of saying "So what do you do?" He took it well and said "I am a historian. I work in the organization that covers the Austrian resistance." to which I responded with "Resistance?! To what? Change?!?" ahahaha.. I crack me up. We chatted and I was able to keep up with World War 2 history. I kept thinking "Good Tova, seem intelligent Tova. Do not mention the Kardashians." At one point, my conversation buddy mentioned he had a new project. And then he said that he was studying the history of Autism. You can imagine my reaction to that.

And I went "WHAT?!?" And then it was on. I told him about my idea to start my own center, about the upcoming AKH symposium as well as the frustration I feel about Vienna's lack of support. Poor guy. I even said something like "You, you shall be giving speeches! You are hired!" It was all very exciting and all very fateful. And I passed him my super professional and academic business card for Operation Tubetop and said "Write me!". At that point another historian showed up and that was all too much for me so I felt I had to dumb the conversation down. I did it, I explained the history of the Kardashians. I would say that I am ashamed but I am not.

Finally Office Twin showed up (in a bow tie) and then the party got started. There were more drinks, more moments of me embarrassing myself - Kabinen Party is simply one of the best Austrian songs EVER. And there was dancing, oh was there dancing. At about 2 I decided it was time to send my own ass home and I looked for my friend to say good night. I walked up to a woman in black and tapped her on the shoulder and said "Happy Birthday! I need to head home now!" and when the woman turned around, I realized that was not my friend. It was like that terrible moment as a kid when you have a full conversation with someone about 5 feet taller than you and then you look up and realize they are not your parent. When I realized I was not talking to my friend, another guy I had met earlier in the evening said "How did you not know that was not her? B. is wearing a jumpsuit!" and I was like "How are you a straight man who knows what a jumpsuit is?!?" and then we spent a good 2 minutes staring at the back of the other woman discussing how at certain angles she totally looked like B. I walked out of the club into the Fall night and realized I had no idea where I was. The 8th district be a whole new world.

The next morning I did feel very very delicate. But I persevered and at 2 met a friend to go and get our Night Run shirts. Tomorrow night we are doing the 5 K around the Ring and I am a little nervous. I have been running off and on but I don't know if I am totally ready. The good news is that it will be dark.. oh.. and crowded... and there will be a beer waiting for me at a bar after. So wish me luck. On another note, I was in a bit of a funk for the last day or so. So on Facebook I asked people to write awesome things on my wall to cheer me up. Why yes I am demanding? Why do you ask? People wrote the most amazing things on my wall about their lives that I full out cried tears of  happiness. I am so doing that every Monday. I love happy stories! I do! I don't believe in Schadenfreude unless we are talking about the Kardashians... oh dammit, Tova.. let them go!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge