Dinner Out, Sick Kid and Another Crockpot Recipe

Hello Wednesday! Hello hump day... not like that. I'm a lady. I am definitely feeling better save for a terrible cough still. The Kid is unfortunately sick now and has been home for the last couple of days. He is being a champ but just has a hacking cough. The Kid also has a scratch under his eye... On Monday when I got home, the Nanny told me that he had gotten scratched at school and when I opened his notebook, I saw a note from the teacher (I talked about this in my podcast which you can find a link to here and then compliment me extensively) that said he got to close to another child eating. She apologized and I wasn't mad. Listen Kid, you should know this by now. You get close to Mommy while she is eating, she will growl. Really. The Husband has learned not to touch me or make eye contact with me when I start to eat or it will just get ugly. Life lessons. And yes, when the Kid is sleeping, I am putting cream on that scratch. We will probably keep him home tomorrow as well and see how he fares.

Last night I was out for a team dinner. As I have mentioned before, we have a type of walking challenge at work so the original plan was to take a walk and then go out for dinner. I misunderstood the email and assumed we were just going to eat and so did my friend so we skipped the walk and instead drove out to check out her new house she just bought. Office Twin joined and I yelled out "shotgun!" because I am 8. The house is just outside of Vienna and will be lovely after the renovations. I kept saying "good bones" because I am an interior director because I have watched many many home improvement shows. I technically could be a lawyer too because Law and Order is my jam. Anyway... We didn't stay long because we had to be at dinner by 6 and I helped this happen because I kept clapping my hands saying "Come on, speed it up. Can't be late." If you ever want to see me lose my shit, make me be late for something. A few friends have witnessed this and they are amused by my deep breaths, loud sighs and my fingers digging into my legs or the car seat. Me being late? No bueno.

We made it to the restaurant just in time and walked in. It is the Sichuan China Restaurant in Donaupark and for years I have wanted to go. It has a spectacular garden with a pond and it looks so romantic. Of course, the minute I walked in, I was like "Yeah, the Kid can never come here." We were a party of 6 last night and when the waiter took our order, he did not write anything down. It was amazing and I may or may not have twitched a little because getting the wrong food when I am hungry can make me sad. Wow, I am really high maintenance when I scroll up and read what I just wrote. Can't be touched when eating, can't be late, needs proper order to arrive at table. Man. I guess I could never go back into the dating world. My looks are not the only obstacle, my friends. Anyway, all the right food miraculously arrived. I ordered the exact same meal as my work wife S.R.: pork dumplings (kosher) and ganbian crispy beef. It was delicious and paired with beer it was even more delicious. Towards the end of the meal I swallowed wrong and ended up having a coughing fit in the middle of the restaurant and that was incredibly humiliating. I vowed at that moment to never eat again but that won't happen... especially once you hear what I have going on in the crockpot as I type this... FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES FOR DINNER, BITCHES!

Oh yeah. So I haven't had a French Dip sandwich in years. And sad to say, the last time was probably in Vegas about 7 years ago. The Husband and I stayed there for 2 weeks and kept finding coupons for a chain called Coco's. It was around the corner from the hotel so we ended up eating there like 4-5 times during our holiday. I'm not proud.. but their French Dip was amazing. As I wrote over the weekend, I am firmly committed to using my crockpot at least 3 times a week. We need to save money and there is something amazing about coming home to some already made food. Here is the recipe for French Dip. I just kind of winged it so I will let you know how it turns out tonight.

Crockpot French Dip:

2 cuts of meat (or more, depends how much meat you want. I'm not the boss of you)
1-2 onions sliced into rings
A cup of beef broth
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
Black pepper
A little salt
Oregano
1-2 cloves of garlic crushed

Place in crockpot and put that baby on "low". It will have been running for a good 8 hours by the time I get home. I will take out the meat, thinly slice it, put the meat back in and then turn up the crockpot to "high" for about an hour. Slice open a baguette, place a slice of cheese on each piece, bake until melty, then place meat on top, pour sauce from crockpot into little bowls for dipping and voila, French Dip.

I will edit the above recipe if it doesn't taste great tonight but I have a feeling that it will be amazing. CANNOT WAIT! I will try and go for a run during the hour before eating because after last night's feast, and a week and a half of very little exercise, I feel like I need to move before I get gout. Tomorrow morning I hope to get another run in and of course, I will be throwing food into the crockpot again. This time chicken fajita thingies! Stay tuned for that simple simple recipe.


In other news, I got a private message last night from a lady I know, asking if I would be interested in giving a talk next month. I think it took me about a second to respond. Me, talking, in front of an audience? I do very much enjoy that! As soon as I said "yes", I then spent a good 2 hours wide awake in bed, quietly freaking out. The talk will be about autism, and I am sure that I will be fine... I just will have to practice very very hard not to drop the F-bomb or go off on a tangent about that one time that I thought that... You see? So hard! It will be great practice for me and I have a feeling that this is kind of direction I need to take at this point. It is hard to verbalize it (fanfuckingtastic seeing as I have to give a talk in a month. #irony) but I do feel I am taking a another step towards a huge change in my life. I'm not sure what will happen but something just seems to be on the horizon. And it better be because I like excitement... and money. So anyway, I hope you all have a great Wednesday! Toodles!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge