Happy Easter!

Friday was a fun me-day. I was finally feeling back to my normal self after 2 days of sleeping. We sent the Kid to daycare because ME DAY! He was feeling much better and was pumped to go. I promise. I watched some TV with the Husband and then got dressed (hello bra!) and met a friend in the center. We went to the Easter market, looked at the eggs, watched a kid break an egg, saw his mother get mad at him and then both mentioned how we would never ever bring our sons to the market ever. We then headed to Palmenhaus to get our sekt on and have a midday breakfast. I used to actively dislike the Palmenhaus years ago. But something odd has happened - the service is now incredible! Both times I have been this past year, the servers have been jovial, nice and incredibly competent. On Friday, our server was absolutely lovely and practically sang as he brought us our drinks and food. So yup, Palmenhaus is back on my radar. But I am not sitting near the butterfly house next door because I am convinced one oversized bat like butterfly was trying to break through the glass and get me. I have a friend who is terrified of moths... and I get that. But ever since I watched that kerblasted Bond film with the killer butterfly, I no like them... at.all.

After breakfast, we walked past the Albertina and then I met the Husband in the center. We were on a date. We stopped at Dai Fratellis for some wine and then headed to Vienna's big old tourist attraction "Time Travel". The Husband has wanted to go for a while and I agreed. It lasts about 50 minutes and it isn't bad. The best part is kind of at the beginning but I won't give it away. There were a few kids on the tour and I laughed out loud when the tour guide said that Vienna's coffee houses were protected by UNESCO and the kids in the group went "Oooooh." sounding very impressed. After Time Travel, we caught the Ubahn and relieved the Nanny and spent a nice evening with a child hopped up on Easter chocolate.

Saturday morning I woke up and caught up on my celebrity gossip. I headed to the vegan store because I had to stock up for the long weekend. Ever been to a grocery store before a two day holiday in Vienna? You would think the apocalypse is coming. People stock up on the randomest stuff. Carts are heaving with wine (understandable) and Cillit Band (not so understandable). There seems to be some deep hidden panic that surges up within Austrian that stores will be closed for a couple of days which is weird because stores are closed EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY AND NOBODY BUT NORTH AMERICANS SEEM TO CARE ABOUT THIS! Anyway, after visiting Veganz and buying salted caramel and chocolate ice cream bars (amahzing), I got changed and headed to my friend's D.K. for a pancake brunch. She made a great spread of mini quiches, bacon and Canadian pancakes. All went into my food diary. Sigh. It was a great brunch with inappropriate conversation, sekt and some wine and then I headed home. The Kid was unusually quiet so I took his temperature and of course he had a fever. URGH! He seems fine this morning (stuffed up but fine) but I didn't sleep well because I got up every couple of hours to hold a mirror under his nose.

In other news, we got a toaster! I have never owned a toaster! One reason is counter space, another reason is because I have low carbed off and on for years (obviously unsuccessfully). But the Kid is obsessed with toast and butter and we got pretty tired of making it in a frying pan so the Husband bought a toaster and we are a very happy modern family. Yes, I know this is weird. We had plans today but the Kid is still stuffed up (longest.cold.ever), so instead, I will head to hot yoga and then we will see how he is this afternoon. Before I forget, I wanted to post my recipe for vegan Chinese dumplings. These are the vegan version of dumplings my mom used to make.

Chinese vegan dumplings:
Vegan ground beef OR cooked red lentils (if you are a purist)
A tbsp of crushed ginger
A tbsp of crushed garlic
1/2 cup of spring onions
Zest of an orange
Splash of sesame oil
Splash of soy sauce
Vegan gyoza wrappers
Some water

Mix all the ingredients besides the water and wrappers in a bowl. Place a small spoonful onto a wrapper. Bring up the sides and close with wet hands. If they open a little, not a problem. Place in a bamboo steamer and when done wrapping, steam for about 20 minutes. I was impressed and the Husband thought that the vegan ground beef was real beef. So good. So very good.

I wish you all a fantastic Easter Sunday and hope your lamb or ham turns out great. I am making tofu fajitas for dinner again because why not? #smug. Happy Easter Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge