Ball to Remember

It was a ball to remember... I think. Gah! I am going on 4 hours of sleep and lots and lots of spritzers and sekt. I could probably breathe onto a car and make it run. One spark and I would go up like a Roman candle. I don't know what is wrong with me. It isn't like I never go out so I have to wonder why I turn into someone on their Rumspringa.

Last night was the Concordia Ball and it was beautiful... Started in 1863, and that is all I have for facts... A friend came over in the evening and we got ready (drank sekt) and then headed to a French bistro called Variation to meet some more friends. We ate dinner (drank sekt) and I don't know why I thought a quiche would be a wise choice for a night of drinking... because it isn't. After dinner, we walked across the street and walked into the gorgeous neo-Gothic Rathaus (drank sekt). I have been there before but never for a ball and it is spectacular!

We walked up several flights of stairs to our table in the main hall. I was blown away with how opulent the hall was. Absolutely gorgeous. And because I had had a lot of sekt already, I believe I kept saying "ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!" The debutantes and the cavaliers came out and there were a couple of speeches and then a waltz and then the floor was open to all after the announcement of "Alles Walzer!" which was my cue to drink some wine. I stayed at the table, watching the dancers and I actually felt a little lonely... which is odd because I usually amuse myself.

Our group decided to head downstairs for some fresh air: the courtyard had a band and two bars and a dance floor and tables and that became our base for the rest of the night. A couple of times I snuck upstairs to watch the formal dancing... and I wished I had someone to dance with... or not because my dress was threatening to malfunction. I kept drinking like it was an Olympic sport and I turned louder and more obnoxious. At one point I asked a friend what kind of medal a man was wearing and friend said it was a fake medal and I did not believe that so he suggested I go over and ask Mr. Maybe Fake Medal Man. And "challenge accepted" is not a good life motto to have. And yes, it was a fake medal. And there was groping by fake medal man. Gah!

By 3:30 it was time for me to head home before turning into a pumpkin. Once home, I put on some workout clothes because I had it in my head to watch the sunrise. Walking is hard after too much booze and not sleeping for 24 hours. I headed back home and missed my sunrise and that makes me a little sad. It was a gorgeous ball and I will definitely go again next year. I think I have to say that the Rathaus is a much better location for a ball than the Hofburg and that is a pretty obnoxious statement.

I'm a little down today. The ball is over and I am looking at a couple of pictures I posted and I wonder why I did not inherit the good genes or common sense not to upload pictures of me on Facebook. Is this malaise post-ball syndrome? Is that the last of the glamour for this year? I feel a little depressed but maybe that is the raging hangover. Tomorrow is the fundraiser and I am really looking forward to it once I can feel my feet again. Enjoy your Saturday! And if you are in Vienna, don't forget to check out the Gay Pride Parade!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Key Word Post

A Tova Movie Re-cap: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Way Some People Find my Blog and a Challenge